Anyone have an American .22lr?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by spikedriver, Oct 14, 2015.

1. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I was checking out a synthetic stock version at the store and it seems pretty nice. Can anyone tell me how theirs does at the range and in the field?

2. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I have one shoots nice, with 4x Nikon, good buy at the time and adjustable for smaller family members, also I like the trigger. I'd buy another if need be.

3. spikedriver

Thanks Nogoat. I'm trying to decide between Tha American and a CZ rifle. I'd like to get the Ruger but everyone I know who has a CZ says the extra money for the CZ is worth it. Not sure what to do...:mad:

4. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

A friend has a CZ and it's nice.

5. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

I have the LR and magnum versions, both with the 22 in. barrel, The LR has a 4x Nikon Prostaff and the magnum has a 4 to 9 Prostaff, they are both accurate and the LR model also works perfect with the BX15 and BX25 magazines. I am completely happy with both, but am considering a CZ .17 HMR for a little variety.

6. Gr8_Outdoorsman

Gr8_Outdoorsman New Member

I have the CZ Lux along with a pile of 10/22's. The CZ is an awesome gun that is crazy accurate and very well built. The 10/22's are great little guns that I feel are built well also, but they aren't as accurate. It really boils down to what you want. If you want to sit down at a bench and put five shots in a dime sized group at 50 yards, the CZ is definitely your gun. If you want a fun semi-auto that you can customize to your taste, a 10/22 can't be beat. I like them both equally for the purposes they serve

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  7. spikedriver

Sounds like maybe the CZ is what I'm looking for. I want a .22 that is accurate enough to head shoot squirrels.

8. Gr8_Outdoorsman

The CZ is definitely a gun that can do that straight from the box. I'd recommend getting your hands on several different types of ammo to see what patterns best for your gun (once you get it of course). I found that my gun really prefers the SK ammo and that 1/3" five shot groups at 50 yards were pretty typical if I could do my part. Once you find the ammo, buy you a bulk pile of it and you'll bet all set.

A 10/22 can be set up to shoot quite accurately, but you'll have to replace almost every part to get in the accuracy range of the stock CZ. I've yet to see a modified 10/22 that shoots as well as a stock CZ. Not saying that they don't exist, I just haven't seen one.

9. Gr8_Outdoorsman

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1445777659.233712.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1445777679.577800.jpg

Some serious shooters would laugh at these groups, but I'm proud of the nonetheless.....

10. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

11. spikedriver

Gr8, that's what I'm looking for. Doesn't even have to be that good. I'd settle for sub-3/4" groups at 50 yards.

12. voodooridr

voodooridr Member

I've been looking at one of these to replace my son's Cricket 22WM that he's outgrown, I'm not sure I'm ready for him to have a semi-auto yet

13. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

There nice I got one for that move and the stock option makes it work.

14. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

Ruger makes a single round magazine for the 10-22.

15. voodooridr

voodooridr Member

I didn't know that, I'll have to grab one when I make the leap

16. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

The single shot magazine is the BX-1-1, Item Number: 90344. They are available from Ruger at shopruger.com, but you can probably get them for less through other sources.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  17. 67stingray

67stingray Member

I bought a American in .22 Mag, put a Nikon Prostaff on it and bore sighted it. Walked out into backyard and took the head off a squirrel. It got stolen from me and I didn't hesitate in buying another.
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1454276895.670273.jpg