Anybody into BP Muzzleloading

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Mar 1, 2015.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I am almost totaly ignorant about BP and muzzleloading, but I have decided to give it a try.
    Any advice or help would be appreciated.
    I just ordered this gun,
    and will be going this week to get some powder,bullets, and primers.( on hold for me at Midsouth Shooters for pickup)

This is the gun...Its a CVA Optima V2 .50 cal 14" barrel
    [​IMG]

Anybody here into ML ?

Got any tips for me?

Jim

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I do some but I'm not into it as much as a lot of others so I'm from expert level. They're basically like reloading,you'll probably have to experiment with different loads,charges-bullet styles and weights etc. to find what shoots best. They also need cleaned often so the charges seat right. When loading,consistency is the key. You should mark the ramrod after it's charged to make sure you get them all down the same. I'm sure others will have other or better hints.

3. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I used to shoot cap and ball replicas and planning to get into it again. I have also acquired a flintlock to play with. The biggest hassle is the soap and water clean up after shooting and the spark hazard in the summer months. They have measures for each caliber do it's pretty safe operation. Have fun!!

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I once built a 50 caliber flintlock from a kit that the wood was in the white ( so I stained it )...and then had to put the parts together.

Pretty easy...shot it a few times...then one of my brothers took it out and screwed it up, trying to shoot nails and rocks outta it.

I still remember punching the hell outta him...

Last time I owned one...guess I was 16-17.

Lookin' forward to your experiences Jim !!

5. phideaux

Well, I gotta tell ya, if I had to go thru that bathtub , soap and water ordeal, I wouldnt be trying it.

I done a lot of research on the new BP powder subsitutes, and found the cadillac of the new powders is Blackhorn 209, its expensive, and you use your normal chemicals/oils/clp to do the cleaning, and no worries about between shots crudding up. Its not suppose to be corrosive, and is high performance , so it takes less.

I wont know for sure until I get everything and give it a try.
    It may end up sittin in the safe , I sure hope not.

Hey....its a gun.

Jim

6. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

Thanks for the powder tip.

7. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

I shoot a 44cal muzzle-loading revolver, and a muzzle-loading 50cal rifle.

The balls work well in the pistol, very precise as far as pistols go, travels about 900fps.

I tried mini-balls in the rifle. Wasn't very precise since I didn't have pure lead; 4MOA. But when I used 250gr .456 diameter bullets with 50cal sabots, it worked great almost as good shooting as my lever action. Traveled about 1600fps with 80grs FFg. Got a deer with it 2 years ago.

The pistol doesn't get as dirty as the rifle does. That is the major reason I don't like the rifle, it got so dirty in one shot I couldn't believe it! Makes for a great POI change unless I knock most of the dirt out of the bore before I take another shot.

Cool looking handgun! Good luck!

8. phideaux

That CVA pistol has a 1:28 twist and 14" long, so I am going tomorrow to pick up some .452 dia Hornady XTP magnum bullets, and some sabots for them. Thats suppose to be very accurate. Using Blackhorn 209 powder , starting at 50 gr. It will push FPS of over 2000.

That pistol will supposedly handle 150 gr, but not with me.;)

I been told that it will not shoot round balls with any consistency, because the twist is too fast .
    I may try some just to see for myself.:)

Jim

9. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

I had made a mistake in my earlier post. I said ".456 diameter," when the bullets I use are the 250gr .452 diameter HP-XTP bullets.
    That bullet travels is too fast at 1600 to take deer. I had taken a deer at 120 yards 2 years ago, and it went right through the deer, but at close range the bullet wouldn't pass through a gallon milk jug.

So if you plan on hunting with it, I would go with a different bullet. I plan on casting some 250gr hard-cast bullets for it next year.

10. phideaux

OK, heres the stuff I got so far,

The gun came today, I got primers, sabots, bullets, powder, BH 209 breech plug.
    Just to show my ignorance....the breech plug does NOT have a nipple, it has a hole for the 209 primer to loosely sit in until the thing is closed and locked.
    I assume after its fired it will just fall out.

It will not open or close with the trigger cocked.

The trigger is unreal, maybe 2-3 lbs, no take up or creep, quick break .

I believe after the storm is over tomorrow (8-10 more inches of snow), I hope I can get out to try this big bad boy out

[​IMG]
    upload image
    [​IMG]
    image hosting

11. squirrelhunter

That is one sweet looking pistola.

12. phideaux

Thanks SH,

I wanted a pistol (BP ML) that was simple to start with, and one that I could hunt with, and aslo have some range fun with.

I found out that the revolvers really dont pack enough powder/power to ethically hunt without past 30 yards. So in my search I came across this one. Them ML forum boys are taken bambi at 100 yrds with it.
    I seen 1" groups with it on ML forums at 50 yrds, 1.5" at 100.

So I took the plunge , knowing nothing about BP.:rolleyes:

Yey , I got bout $400 all together, thats not too bad, if I hate Ill sell it.

I dont think so though.

Jim

13. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

If you have a chronograph, I would be interested to know how fast it will send those bullets.
    Thanks!

14. phideaux

I do have a chrony, and will be experimenting with loads later on.

Ive read ,on ML forum, velocities over 2000, with 250 gr bullets, and 100-120 gr of Blackhorn 209, with this pistol.

This powder will not work in percussion and #11 caps.

Here is a good site I found for the powder. Lots of info.
    Click on the load data for ML

http://www.blackhorn209.com/load-data/

Jim

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  15. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

Bummed, won't work in my cap & ball pistols.

16. squirrelhunter

Here muzzle loading handguns have to be singe shots,revolvers aren't allowed,with at least a 12" barrel and at least 50 cal. Rifles can be 45 cal.

17. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I talked to a friend of mine in Ohio that does a lot of hunting and he told me about how he really likes hunting with his black powder muzzle rifle. He said it was surprisingly accurate but he said it makes such a cloud of smoke that you can't tell if you got the deer or not till the smoke clears. He laughed about that.

18. squirrelhunter

Very true,they do blow out a big cloud of smoke. Hopefully the deer's still there when it clears.:D

19. phideaux

From what I read,

some of the die hard ML guys, complain about the Blackhorn 209 , because they dont get that big smoke blast, like the traditional BP.

Ill find out , if I ever get out to try it.

Jim

20. squirrelhunter

I like the smoke,smells good :D.