Anybody buy/shoot a new 1911 9MM?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by hodge, Jul 11, 2016.

1. hodge

hodge New Member

I will have one- that's a given. I am curious what the first impressions are, from a member. I've watched the video's available online.

I have a Sig P229 Legion/9MM for sale locally, and once it is gone, I'll find a Ruger. The Legion is a fantastic gun, but I'm kind of over it; I like a 1911 better.

2. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I hear you on likening the 1911 platform. I do as well.
    I won't hesitate to own a striker fire but really do like my 1911's.
    I don't currently own any Ruger 1911's. So can't help you there if that's what your looking for.
    I am absolutely in love with my Springfield Armory EMP in 9mm though. Off the top of my head everything else 1911 I got right now is in 45acp and 10mm.

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Hodge,

I saw the article on the SR1911 Ruger 9mm commander and it raised my curiosity. Currently I own 3 SR1911's. Commander, LW Commander and full size. I enjoy the 1911 platform and carry my LW as my self defense. This last week end I went to the range and took my Colt Combat Commander, which was one of the very early ones, I believe back in the late 60's and fired it. It doesn't have the accuracy of my Rugers however I had forgotten how little recoil there is to a .45. I am tempted to trade my Commander for a 9mm however, for self defense, I truly prefer a .45. That is just a personal thought. If they are built like the .45's, then I would really consider one however I would like to try one out first. There's a lot of difference between a 145 grn bullet and a 230grn although ammo has gotten considerably better in the last 5 years. Should you buy one, please let me know your feelings on it and I might have to do some swapping. If I had money in my budget, I probably would buy one just to try it out. But money to me is like rainfall in the Az desert summertime- there ain't any!!!!!

Tommy

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I want to hear about the 9mm 1911 also. I got no need for it, and really my $$$ would be better spent elsewhere, but it might just be a "gotta have it" gun.

5. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

In my opinion, the 1911, series70 replica is the finest handgun made.

Browning was a genius. Pure genius.

Like DoubleR, mine are in 45 and 10mm

I did however do some work for a buddy on an SA EMP 9mm to turn it into competition. I tweaked that thing down to 2.5 pound trigger, put a sweet magwell on, polished the friction points.

That is now one of the sweetest handguns I have fired. Spot on accurate, so so smooth. Completely changed my mind on 1911 in 9mm caliber.

Would love to get one of the new Rugers.

Doc

6. hodge

hodge New Member

It is my understanding that the Ruger is all 1911, other than the caliber/bore. From all descriptions, aftermarket 1911 parts are applicable. So, it should be business as usual, with less recoil and more rounds. I'm a 45 fan, also. I believe in the adequacy of 9MM, but I enjoy shooting 40 and 45 more. But, that wouldn't stop me from buying the Ruger- it intrigues me. I know folks on the Sigtalk forum who have Sig 1911's in 9, and love them. While some may feel that a 1911 in 9 is sacrilege, I don't- I think it is great to see such a great platform in more than one caliber.
    I won't give up my LW Commander in 45, but I do believe that I will enjoy the new addition.
    My younger daughter would rather shoot my Commander, than any other handgun that I have. Then again, she'd rather shoot 12 gauge than anything else.

I'll keep you posted, Tommy. I do plan to get one; I'll probably wait 6 months or so, to see if there are any bugs.

7. hodge

hodge New Member

I haven't bought one, yet, and I haven't shot one. BUT, I did get to handle a SR1911 9MM today.
    1) I wasn't sure about the gray anodized frame and the grips, aesthetically. In person, it is a very handsome gun- I really like it.
    2) I wasn't keen on the rubber grips, prior to holding one. I am, now. The grips feel great, and they are marginally wider than the wood grips on my LW Commander. I've always felt that the grips on my 45 could be thicker to be perfect for me, and the rubber grips on the 9MM confirmed that. The gun feels fantastic.
    3) I didn't get to handle it with ammo in the mag, but it feels good weight wise. Overall, I would call it fantastic, very appealing, and I will definitely have one- I can't wait. I haven't been this excited about a particular gun in a long time. I'm thinking that this may turn out to be a favorite.

So, to recap, it looks great, it feels great, and I anticipate it being a nice shooter. Win, win, win.

8. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Gotta get one! I just shot a 1911 for the first time the other day. My super gun nut neighbor called me, raving about this guy on YouTube that goes by Mixup98. This guy was shooting various autoloading handguns including 1911s at a rate of 8-10 rounds per second. So I watched the vid and went over to my neighbors to try it out. This guy's techniques actually work, but I couldn't hit a barn wall from the inside doing it. Afterward I shot his 1911 normally and I gotta tell ya, I'm sold but not on .45 like the one I shot. That 9mm Ruger is going to be mine.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Please Tell me All You Know About 1911's in 9mm

The new 9mm Ruger 1911's barrel may be a little long to use as a carry gun for this skinny old boy.

Anything you can tell me about 1911's in 9mm with 3"~3.5" barrels and compatible positive retention holsters would be much appreciated.
    Would like to use the Blackhawk Serpa holster if possible.

Sig has the P938 but I don't see that gun as a "real" 1911.
    Thanks in advance.

Mag

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

:cool:
    You are, of course, going at it all wrong. You should be looking at the CZ-75 family, including the clones and near clones.

:tiphat:

[I'd suggest a Grand Power P1 - but I don't know of a positive retention holster for it.]

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest you shoot a P938. I haven't shot one but I have shot the P238 in 380 and that gun really surprised me. For a small gun it handled the recoil really good and the gun really feels good in the hand besides conceal ability is there also. If the P938 shoots anything like the P238 then I bet you will like it.

12. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well, what VT said about the CZ-75 and it's clones, I just bought a near CZ 75 clone. It's got a 3.8" barrel but it has the full size grip so it still has a 17 round mag. I'll let you know how it shoots once I get it. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1470497841.499851.jpg

As for the 1911 style 9mm, I've only had experience with one. It was a RIA chambered in 9mm with the .
    Extra 22 TCM barrel. The 22 TCM was very, very loud and pretty snappy, but overall all was a nice setup. I'd definitely look into RIA if I were you.

Hope thus helped!

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I think there are concealability issues with guns that shorten the barrel but not the grip (the Grand Power P1 is like that too). They probably require "appendix" carry, at least in warm weather. Well, "kidney" carry would conceal too... but you need to be more flexible than I am.

14. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

I was never one for the 1911 - mostly because everyone else had one and I prefer..."different". Having been given a full size an a compact 1911, both in 45 act, I've decided at some point I should get a good one. I do prefer the 9mm however so would like to go that route like you. The models available though, don't interest me.

15. hodge

hodge New Member

I'm This close- ll- to buying a SR1911 9MM. Either I'll have the money to buy it this week, or put it on layaway. Maybe I'll be the first on the forum to have one?

16. hodge

hodge New Member

The 938 is a great little gun- I've got one. It has had some earlier issues, so buying one built after August of 2015 is advisable. Mine is easy to conceal and shoot, reliable, and accurate.
    Sig also has the 1911 Ultra in 9MM- a great gun. I've owned the Ultra in 45, and it was pretty easy to conceal. And, Sig makes a great 1911.

17. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

1911s are the only CC weapon for me.

Sig does make a great 1911,
    I carry the Ultra Carry in .45 everyday , very easy to conceal.
    If their 9mm is anything like their .45 , it will be awesome.

100_4422_zps2d79ae45.jpg

Jim

18. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey guys I merged the 2 threads , as it was a little confusing having the same topic/threads in 2 different threads.

Carry on ..:)

Jim

19. hodge

hodge New Member

I'm very active on Sigtalk- I've read nothing but good things about the Ultra 9MM.

20. hodge

hodge New Member

Hot dog! I sold two Sigs this weekend, so I'll be picking up a SR1911/9 this week- if they have one in stock...