Another newbie intro

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ChrisKles, Jan 20, 2016.

1. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

Having owned several other manufacturer's 1911s over the years, in both full size and Commander versions, I will just say that I will stack the SR 1911 full size up against any other. Straight out of the box, with just a visual inspection of the barrel, I put 150 rounds through mine without a hang up of any kind. In addition to the factory mags, I also used a couple of Chip McCormick Shooting Stars...same result. Great sights, good trigger, and it goes bang every time.

Chris

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

How did /do you find accuracy ?
    Hits POA consistently with what ammo. grouping?

Just curious.

Jim

3. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

Phideaux---winchester white box and american eagle 230 grain ball...shot to point of aim...offhand at 15 yards consistent 3 to 4 inch groups. It's worth saying that I am an 'old guy' and my vision is terrible...I am sure the gun shoots better than I do! Since 2011 I have had two Remington 1911's that would not run, and have just sold a Springfield Champion that ran fine but I could not see the sights. The Ruger SR 1911 rocks!

4. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

Finally, my most recent Ruger purchase is the Redhawk 4.2 inch barrel chambered in 45 acp and 45 colt. Sadly, it has gone back to the factory for an 'adjustment'. After searching for 6 months, I finally found one. First time out I took a combination of ammo...put 150 rounds of acp loads through it with total reliability and great accuracy. Different story when I tried to run the 45 colt rounds...cylinder hung 2/6 with standard pressure Winchester loads and 1/6 with Federal loads. Oddly enuf, the cylinder rotated just fine with +p Corbon Hunter loads from 2 different lots.

Upon inspection I found a 'ridge' on the recoil shield just ahead of the firing pin hole. Don't know that this is the cause, so I did not want to tackle it myself for fear I would void the warranty. Spoke to Heather (great gal) in customer service and the very next day UPS picked up my Redhawk for a return trip to the factory. That was 9 days ago and 2 snow storms later...hoping to hear from them soon and get it back. Picture of the recoil shield, below.

Positive notes, beautiful fit and finish, great DA trigger that stacks nicely before breaking, and a heavy but very crisp SA pull. I shoot more .45 acp than anything else, so this is a nice companion gun for my SR1911. In addition, we have really big black bears here in eastern NC (500 to 800 pounds) and the 335 grain hard cast +p 45 colt loads will give me some comfort in the woods. The textured grips are the nicest I have ever seen on any factory gun. Will follow up when I get it back. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1453566063.824639.jpg

5. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

OK...it is on its way back to me...e-mail says they 'adjusted barrel gap, end play, breech face'. Expecting delivery late Wednesday...will hope to do some shooting this weekend and will follow up with a report.

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Ruger has quick turn around for warranty repairs.
    Welcome to the forum.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T !!

8. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

It will be 2 weeks door to door...I am just hoping this solves the problem. Customer Service did a good job keeping me informed. I am a huge .45 fan, and I WANT to love this gun!

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

How 'bout a full size picture when you get her back brother...

10. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

I will be glad to.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum, sorry to here you had a problem with the Redhawk. Don't forget Bufflobore makes some 255 grn 45 auto that would be good woods protection.:D

12. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

Thanks for the recommendation.

13. 67stingray

67stingray Member

Hope everything goes good and you get it back soon, I know you miss it. I also have a SR1911 but the commander and I agree with you they are really good guns and also a very attractive firearm. Here's a pic of mine.
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1453876504.096307.jpg

14. ChrisKles

ChrisKles New Member

shooter 13...came back today...here's your FULL size pic ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1453936082.580274.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1453936106.807854.jpg

tried 45 colt fired brass and snap caps...cylinder rotates smoothly and evidence of smoothing and polishing on the breech face. Will hope to shoot it for reliability on Saturday