Another New Shooter

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by RUGER-N-F-AGAIN, Nov 4, 2017.

1. RUGER-N-F-AGAIN

RUGER-N-F-AGAIN New Member

Hi all,

My recent experiences with Ruger have prompted me to find a way to show you'all picture verifiable FACTS and, some opinions. My screen name says it all.... As soon as I figure out the pix posting process and post a few, you will then see for yourselves what the level of Ruger "quality" has diminished to.

TTYL

Hank

2. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Well? Come on! Explain yourself!

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well, uh, welcome to the forum?

4. RUGER-N-F-AGAIN

Ruger quality

OK.. Long story not too much shorter. I bought a Ruger 8351 6-8 weeks ago and the Florida hurricanes delayed my shooting. Just before range shooting cleaning, I noticed a SEVERE PROBLEM with this models(and maybe others), of the bore and crown finish. Pix atached. The GOOD bore is on my 7 YO 10-22 and the other is of the CHEESE GRATER 8351. After emailing these pix to the President and CEO:
    [email protected]

AND the director of engineering:
    [email protected]

I finally got a UPS call tag and the rifle was picked up... After a week, I was told that my supplied pix showed a barrel and crown THAT WAS ACCEPTABLE TO THEM BOTH... They would NOT replace barrel/rifle, only refund my money, which has yet to arrive. If you were to "read between the lines", you will/should come to the conclusion that as the pix of the "cheese grater" is now the standard quality of which to expect, they sure as hell only have a boatload of these dog crap barrels and any replacement would be the same P-POOR quality. So, BUYER BEWARE... 20171016_B-COMPRESSED.jpg

20171015_B-COMPRESSED.jpg

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Wow, you're right. Rugers are clearly crap guns, have the worst customer service in the industry and every one of their guns has a horrible crown and bad barrel.

I have five rugers in the house. I've included a picture of all of the crowns. As you can see, they all are fine. So no, this is not a regular occurrence.

Ruger American .308
    [​IMG]

Ruger lc9s pro 9mm
    [​IMG]

Ruger new model blackhawk .357
    [​IMG]

Ruger service six .357
    [​IMG]

Ruger SP101 .357
    [​IMG]

You didn't like the crown? Bummer. They gave you your money back. What're you complaining about now?that you forgot to check the crown before buying the gun??

6. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Hank, first of all, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you were treated this way by Ruger. We are not Ruger, we are just plain old folks who love Rugers. We have had hundreds of members who have dealt with their customer service and were satisfied and down right happy with the results. Sometimes when dealing with companies, you got to sound sweet and be polite. This in exchange causes them to reply sweet and polite. Is it possible you just rubbed them wrong?

Just sayin, because your first post to us in here sounded like you wanted to fight and argue rather than converse as friends.

Again, just sayin'!

Sure hope I'm wrong....

7. RUGER-N-F-AGAIN

While I try to start with a level head, here is my first contact with Ruger. What really turned me from Ruger is their cavalier attitude that their product was OK and meeting spec, while the supplied pix to them tell the real story about where their quality has gone. Again, my 10-22 has a beautiful bore AND crown and the 8351, well, is just horrendous.. Here is my first contact - you tell me..... The second "pasted text" also set me off - From the PR MAN...

Sent to [email protected]
    Sent: 10/15/2017 4:28:38 AM
    Subject: FORWARD IMMEDIATELY TO: MR. Christopher J. Killoy - President and Chief Executive Officer

FORWARD TO MR. Christopher J. Killoy - President and Chief Executive Officer - IMMEDIATELY... I WILL RECEIVE A REPLY FROM HIS EXECUTIVE OFFICE TO ENSURE DELIVERY....

Mr. Killoy,

I picked up my Ruger American Rifle Model 8351, S/N - 834-xxxxx from Florida Gun Exchange on 8-25-17. As of todays date(10-15-17), I have had other issues, hurricanes, etc. To deal with and have yet to shoot this new rifle. My previous Ruger purchase on 7-22-10, pix attached, was for two 10/22's, one to keep and the other for my son. I knew that MANY 50+ years ago that this is probably the best 22LR to have on hand when the SHTF.... Both of these were of exceptional quality, they shoot well, and I have no issues with these rifles. My thoughts were to obtain a bolt action 22 and it SEEMED like this 8351 would fill the bill to provide the capability to have a threaded barrel and try to keep my 66 year old ears from loosing any more hearing by being able to use a silencer.... (FYI, I have purchased a Ruger Silent-SR), and when the government gets off its lazy ass, I can pick it up maybe by mid next year.

As the attached pictures show, my reliance on my previous experience with Ruger "quality" was badly misplaced when I bought this rifle. I am on record(I gave the rifle's S/N), talking to CS weeks earlier about numerous metal shavings in/around the bolt itself and voiced my displeasure to the tech that fielded my call. OK, a cotton swab was all that was needed to clean these shavings, BUT, they should have not existed in the first place. And, just recently, I inquired about any needed barrel break-in and the lady's bucket of answers told me no. Now, after getting my scope mounted and having the weather being a bit cooler, I'm now ready to sight this puppy in.... Or so I thought. During the "just before shooting" cleaning, I noticed at the barrel end a sight that should make you cringe. I noticed what appears to be zillions of circular marks that I could see as far down as I could and imagine that they run down - circumferentially - the entire length of the barrel. These ring marks would promote BARREL LEADING to the max, shaving off much lead with EVERY INCH OF BULLET TRAVEL.... These circular "ring marks" are also evident on the crown, IF you may even call it that - TOTAL GARBAGE - (SEE PIX).... If I were the head of Ruger or ANY firearms company, I would be totally embarrassed and ashamed by the lack of quality that THIS firearm displays. This rifle should have NEVER BEEN SHIPPED.... MY feelings on this issue are miles beyond polite words, but I'm trying........

What needs to happen NOW is for you to explain to me that this SEVERE QUALITY PROBLEM is not the norm, and provide me a TRUTHFUL explanation as to what the hell happened with YOUR Quality Assurance.... My modest retirement income will not be wasted on ANY substandard quality purchase and, as such, I politely demand YOU MAKE THIS RIGHT... BUT, if I am wrong to expect a somewhat smooth barrel and PROPER CROWNING, then tell me and start a REFUND PROCESS IMMEDIATELY.... I AM NOT GOING TO KEEP THIS POS.... The receipt is not "findable" at this particular time, but the attached xxxxx xxxxx Bank screen shots show the purchase deposit($100.00), made on 8-18-17 AND the balance paid($276.69), on pickup on 8-25-17 - TOTAL $376.69.... FGE CAN VERIFY this purchase(386-304-9499)... In any event, I will NOT incur ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS to provide relief, either with a PROFESSIONALY CHECKED OUT QUALITY REPLACEMENT - WITH A SMOOTH(ER) INNER BARREL - AND NO METAL SHAVINGS ON THE BOLT - OR REFUND... These are the ONLY two options that will be satisfactory. I do not expect a mirror finish inside the barrel, but I will not tolerate such a poor excuse for this workpersonship that is proven by furnished pictures.... Mr. William B. Ruger would be "spinning in his grave" if he knew of and saw the pictures of this poor excuse of "Ruger Quality".....

My contact information is furnished below and I DO expect YOU to address and correct this blatant example of poor workpersonship in a MOST TIMELY MANNER....

Thank you for addressing my concerns and maybe restoring my confidence that Ruger can and will provide me with a QUALITY PRODUCT...

REPLY FROM DEAN COUSINO...

Mr. White,

I am the customer service manager at the Ruger plant where your firearm was manufactured. Mr. Killoy forwarded your email to our plant manager, rimfire line manager and myself and told us to address your concerns.

There is no acceptable reason for there to be metal shavings anywhere on the firearm. We are reviewing this issue with the manufacturing line and will implement a correction.

The rings you see in the barrel are from our hammer forging process we use to produce the rifling in the barrel. We start with a metal bar that is shorter and bigger around than the finished barrel, called a barrel blank. This blank is then gun drilled down the center. We insert a mandrel, which has the rifling machined into it, into the hole. The blank is loaded into a hammer forge. The forge then hammers the blank around the mandrel imprinting the rifling onto the inside of the barrel. The rings you are seeing in this barrel are left each time the hammer strikes the blank. These rings are more noticeable on stainless steel barrels, than blued barrels.

We take steps to ensure that the barrel is finished so that the bullet travels in the same direction as the barrel was hammer forged, to ensure the barrel does not become leaded.

Just above the PR MAN tells me the bore marks ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THERE"..

NOW I'm awaiting a nice Savage MKII FV-sr....

Thanks for reading..

Hank

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The bottom pic looks like a lot of dirt on there, can't tell much else about the muzzle. What the heck is that at about 4 O'clock? A big burr? If it is, Ruger CS ain't going to say it's normal.

I am mystified. Yeah, yeah, I know, you are muttering "so what's new about that?"

PS. Thanks, guy. Now I finally know what "hammer forged" means.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  9. RUGER-N-F-AGAIN

While the OLDER Rugers may have been crafted with quality, the recent productions are evidently not held to the previous higher standard. YOUR guns look great and I bet they are from some time ago. And I realize that for the price point, they will not mimic thousand dollar guns. It was/is my comparison of my 8351 (2017) to my older 10-22 (2001) that I thought my new 8351 would be of similar quality as of my 10-22. My bad for not checking with an eye loop, but really, who out there would expect such a POS form Ruger such as the pix I have posted???

10. RUGER-N-F-AGAIN

I think your 4'oclock may be what I have circled. In any event, Ruger engineering received my rifle, they examined it, and another PR Lady called me to inform no replacement just refund.. And you have to know that they have really good tools to make their examinations, so the spot you see appears to be a metal "start-stop" flash that must be OK with them, too...

Anyway, while I do have a great 10-22, I believe my forthcoming Savage MKII FV-SR - WITH BUTTON RIFLING, will be a better shooter. Thanks all for reading my story...

Hank

Attached Files:

11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

This makes me want to go to my LGS and ask to look at all the new Ruger rifles he has on display.

I'd be interested in how many I find or don't find , with a ugly crown ,

I may just do that when I'm out and shopping.

Jim

12. RUGER-N-F-AGAIN

Thanks Jim... I'd be interested in what you may find. Just a mini flashlight and phone camera will show what you may find. I have to question, though, Rugers reluctance to replace at least the barrel, which the defects I provided with pix, even a blind man could see.. I will also take pix the next time I'm at the gun store...

Hank

13. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I think the crown in that pic is an anomaly. Rugers may not be the most finely finished guns on the planet but every one I've ever seen looked better than that.

14. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

15. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well the service six is from 1985 but the other four are no more than three years old

16. zippo9

zippo9 Member

For what it's worth. I recently returned my Nightwatchman to Ruger as the crown was really chewed up and appeared off center. They returned it with a new barrel in less than 2 weeks.
    I'm not sure if that's indicative of a QC problem. But there it is.