Another Hobby

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, May 11, 2013.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I know we all love shooting, guns, hunting, and reloading, Its my number one passion , and hobby.
    But... I also have other hobbys, and one of mine is woodworking,
    I dont have as much time for it as I do my guns;), but here are a few things Ive made .

What other hobbys do you guys have, I would like to hear about them, and some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim

2. tater

tater New Member

Damn Jim you are a craftsman!!!

Beautiful!!

3. phideaux

Thanks Tater,
    You do anything , you enjoy, other than eating? ;):D

Jim

4. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

I grew up in Rochester, NY, well actually a suburb of it recently made famous by a lunatic shooting at firemen. Yeah my hometown has an amendment in the NYS Safe Act named after it, not something anyone in the gun culture ever wants.

Well Rochester is the home of Kodak, my father and grandfather were both engineers there. They taught me to love photography at an early age. I eventually turned it into a short lived occupation shooting product and corporate headshots. Now I just shoot for fun and relaxation. Mostly landscape and occasionally some artistic nudes. If I didn't spend so much time at work and the range I would definitely be taking tons of pictures and exploring this magnificent part of the country.

Also growing up in the snow belt of NY I spent the winter months ski racing, and snowboarding. Again I don't get on the slopes any where near enough any more but do make a point to get over to Flagstaff a couple times a winter. Was planning a trip to Colorado for this winter, but I am boycotting that piece of occupied territory. So now I'm looking at Utah, which gets lighter fluffier powder anyways.

Going to start getting back into camping as well, turn it into a weekend getaway/varmint hunting trip for my nephew and me.

5. chelboed

chelboed Member

Loving' crap, Jim! Beautiful!

I'm an obsessive person when it comes to hobbies. I jump in with both feet, head first, eyes wide open.

I used to play guitar until around 2 years ago. Played for 25 years. Finally just got bored with it. I was quite good before I hung it up.

Was truly passionate about mountain biking since 2005. Came from a skateboarding background. Lived for it. Got a little too old for jumping of stair cases, so I moved to jumping off rocks and smashing into trees.

Been shooting since I was a little kid and have been hot/cold with it over the years, but now I'm back into it full force. Truly love the violent recoil of a 44 mag. Love the smell of gunpowder. Love mechanized thingies.

Shooting will always be there for me. Biking is a good active hobby that will keep my heart in good shape. Guitar to some degree will come back...probably when I can afford to get a decent acoustic and share my love of music with my kids.

My passions:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I use to do a lot of auto and house repairs,but due to health issues about all I do now is gun related. It's even getting hard at times to do reloading now.I still do auto and house repairs but only what HAS to be done ;).

7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Nice woodwork fido. Other than my gun habit and reloading, I still do some home repairs. Kinda limited due to my poor vision. Burned out on woodwork some time back. I was a secondary education/shop teacher for 55 years and cabinet meaker for 5 years at a ship yard. Did alot of furniture refinishing and repair at home also. Also still have photography stuff. The older 35 mm cameras, tele & macro lenses and such. Taught it at school as well as film developaing. Did it at home too. Kinda got to be too much work when the digital cameras came out. Also taought leather work-carving and stamping, welding, small engine repair, auto paint and body work, light arc and gas welding. Did quite a bit of that as hobbies before I got an office job as a probationofficer 28 years ago. Still repair rurniture, refinish old gunstocks if I can find one that isn't poly, and do house rerpairs that have to be done as well as plumbing. Just redid the deck on my riding mower last week. It had some good size holes in it, rust, and needed some replacement belts and bearings. The jertks at the lawnmower place wanted close to a grand for a new mower deck. Almost the price of a small riding mower. Well it's working for now again. Holes welded, and deck repainted. Still needs one set of double pulleys with a worn bearing. They will probably want half the cost of a new deck for just that part.

Gave up on my last motorcycle too. I rode off and on for years in high school and college. Hit a few cars and trucks. Did some hill climbing, drag racing, running from the local LEOs. Just didn't have the time or eyesight to repair the fine stuff anymore. Gave my last Kamakazi 650, rice burner to my bro. He can still see weell enough to repair the carbs and small stuff. I just didn't have time for it anyway. And my son bought an 80 BMW R100, a 1000 CC cruiser that I am helping him slowly rebuild. Put together a few FrankenCycles and FrankenCarts back in my school teaching days from wrecks. We had some Honzukis, Yamasakis, SuzuKawas. Use to make some weird stuff with all the parts kids brought into the shop. And sometimes we even fixed some lawn mowers and edgers like we were suppose to be doing in class.:D

8. phideaux

Dang Pancho,

Sounds like you and I grew up together, never was a teacher, but dang, we coulda been brothers, Im limited now due to health issues also.

Not much we cant handle ourselves.huh?

Always busy.:)

Jim

9. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

Tuning and occasionally racing muscle cars for about 50 years now.
    This only a small portion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tater

tater New Member

3T I really like your hobby!!!

11. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

Seems like most of my hobbies have disappeared as my health has gone downhill. Guns and photography are two that I am still able to do.

12. phideaux

I know that.
    Shooting, cleaning guns, reloading, dont take a lot of physical assertion.

Occassionaly I get out to shop and do a little woodworking project.

I never got into photo shooting, but if you got some ....well they say a pic is worth a 1000 words......just sayin;)

Jim

13. tater

tater New Member

phideaux

I was thinking next time you go to the wood shop I would like a bowl to put my cashews in;)[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  14. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If you're anything like me most of your hobbies involved eating.

15. tater

tater New Member

Yea eating does get out of control! I was up to 336#:hammer:

There was a knock at the door diabetes I slammed the door and lost 110 so far.

Cars are one that I enjoy........
    My current project
    [​IMG][​IMG]sold this 1

16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Zippo Collection

I collect Zippo Lighters...did alot of traveling for the DoD and always picked up a lighter and a knife ( since I already had my duty weapon ) at every port of call...93 to date.

[​IMG]

NRA Firearms Museum, Fairfax VA

[​IMG]

COLT Manufacturing Company, Hartford CT

[​IMG]

Main Street, Fort Worth TX

[​IMG]

S&W Academy, Springfield MA

[​IMG]

River Walk, San Antonio TX

17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

USAF Academy, Colorado Springs CO

[​IMG]

Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio TX

[​IMG]

NAVSUBASE New London, Groton, CT

[​IMG]

MCAS Miramar, San Diego CA

[​IMG]

Nassau, Bahamas

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  18. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Name it and I've tried it. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Well, maybe not Jack, something lower.

19. shadecorp

shadecorp Member

Well besides playing with Guns.
    I used to take a lot of photos,
    mainly trains.
    motorcycle races,
    then raced for a while, off road..
    Did some fishing for awhile.
    Worked with model trains,
    H.O., now On30.
    Now read gun forums.