Another gun...Which?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Carl Crosby, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

I have a hankerin' for another rifle, and have heard a few not so good reports of the newer Ruger Hawkeyes. I'd like something useful for varminting, with low recoil, but also, sufficient for for deer and hogs, should the occasion arise. Actually, the calibers I am drawn to are the 250 Savage, 6mm Remington, or waaay in 3rd place, the .243. I'd like to find a good used Tang Safety Model 77, or the 77 Mark II. Which has a reputation for being the better gun? Or are the American and Hawkeye rifles the equals of the older models, QC and accuracy wise?
    Although I'd rather not, If I could find a rifle for a reasonable price, rebarreling to another caliber would not be out of the question.

What say, Ruger gurus?

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I think a BAR might be perfect for varmints.

rugertoter likes this.

3. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

4. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

Well, there is no advantage in the .243 over the 6mm. Unless, it's an issue of ammo availability. I have a Remington 660 Mohawk in 6mm. It is a fantastic mountain rifle.

I also have great admiration for the .250/3000 (.250 Savage) It's a good dual purpose varmint / deer cartridge.

A hand loader can gain so much flexibility in either of these.

Carl Crosby likes this.
  5. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

LOL! I'm going with the BAR!

6. OLDBRASS

OLDBRASS Member

Just about any caliber 30-06 and below can fill these rolls IF your a handloader, loading opens up an entirely new realm of possibilities and is addictive as shooting, I bought a cheapo LEE challenger kit years ago and never looked back

C. D. Bates likes this.