Another cheep project

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Aug 26, 2014.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I love leather.. and when I have time , I find STUFF to do with it.
    Also Im cheep, I could buy one, but thay cost money, I got about 2 dollars into this one.[​IMG]

I Got me this idear , and couldnt let it go until I tried it.
    Now, this is my first attempt , so You know ,and I know, things are better with practice.

But what do yall think about this, Butt Cuff ?

I have a few other rifle guns that could wear one...... maybe even a ammo holder, hummm.

I havent even shot this Buffalo gun yet, but soon , it will get a workout.

Jim

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

Love it Jim. Handmade items always have more meaning. Yes ammo loops would be a good addition. Are you selling any?

3. phideaux

Thanks Redhawk,

Nah.. cant sell any, this was just a boredom project.
    Actually ,fairly difficult to get the end piece sewn in.

I used the gun to wrap the wet leather and clamped it tight with spring clamps and let it dry 24 hrs to mold the shape, then drill all the stitching holes, and punch all the laceing holes.

Transfer the image of the Buffalo, then burn it in.
    You gotta burnish all the edges.

I may never make another one...;):)

Jim

4. redhawk4life

redhawk4life New Member

Looks great any way you look at it. Maybe someday I'll be able to retire and make heirlooms

5. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Either I'm blind or my 'puter broke,I don't see a daggone thing.

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

same here..........nice x x x x x
    Las time Jim changed what he used to post the pics and I was able to see those pics then. It has something to do with the format used that my pc doesn't recognize.
    I seldom could see pics my one brother sent me also. I had that happen on different pc also so I can only guess it was his format or my cheap pc I use.

8. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

Once again, no pics. Only itty bitty little squares. :mad:

9. phideaux

Jeeeze, I dont know why.
    I put the pics in photobucket, now let me know if you can see them

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim

10. phideaux

I have never had any problems with anybody seeing pics on any of our sister forums.
    :confused::confused:

Jim

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I can see them now. thanks
    How did you find a piece of leather that a buffalo head just appeared? lol look very good.

12. phideaux

Thats good,
    I guess Im gonna have to remember to only post pics on RugerTalk using photobucket.

Thats wierd. Must be one of them little gremlins running around here.:D

Jim

13. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

No more blinders!

Very nice work, indeed. (on the leather I mean) Fitting for the rifle!

14. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Got some pics now Fido. Good work! I will have to take some pics of sopme of the holsters, belts, checkbook covers, wallets, and suxh that I have done. Too blind to do the decorative stamping now, or at least very well. I use to teach leatherwork, drafting, photograhy, welding, crafts, ceramics and a few others years ago. Well, I was an industial arts education teacher then. Did it for 5 years. Gave teaching up for being a probation officer for 20 more years. I'll dig some of the old stuff up and take some pics.

15. phideaux

Pancho , your a multi talented person. Thats good.

I believe a country boy will survive...:cool:

Cant get it......make it....is my philosophy.

Post up some pics man.

Jim

16. Pancho_Villa

O.k. ya asked for it!!!! Well, I only found a few holsters cause they were still attached to handguns. Don't know where the other leather stuff went. Wife might have put it up and forgot where. old age I guess. I don't do that. She said, "You were the last one that had the stuff." I don't remember that.

Anyway, I added a few other hobby things from my teaching days. that have survied time.

Holster for SBH .44, decorated with western floral patterns, cress stitched. Made for F in law. It never left the hopuse. Gun eihter.

[​IMG]

S&W, M&P .38 spl. with "kit" holster. One of Tandy Leather's Kits. Helped a kid make this one as a project for a grade. This one got used as you can see. Again, western floral pattern. The kit leather was thinner than the ones cut by hand from cowhides we bought whole and cut our pwn pieces. The SBH holster is a hand cut & fit. Pattern from scratch, freehand. Kit holsters came with patterns to outline for tooling. prepunched holes and leather lace. Can't remember what this lacing type was called, but I can still do it by memory as well as draw patterns. Well, that is if I could see.

[​IMG]\\\

And another handmade job using old boot tops, from Justin Ropbers. Leather was knda thin, so I double glued to get it thicker. It was suppose to have a second snap for the smaller J frame, but I never put it in. Hole is still there. Colt Agent fits o.k. Actually for a S&W K frame snub. Double stitched at top to keep layers togther. Leather lace, holes hand punched. Basketweave stamping. Took part off the lace off at the tip so I could use 3 & 4 inch guns in it. Barrel just sticks out.

[​IMG]

A couple of sheaths for belt knives. One stitched one laced. Scrap leather stuff. Got some mileage on them.

[​IMG]

17. Pancho_Villa

Some stuff that survived the test of time. Other things I tinkered in.

A very pshycedelic 70s ceramic bowl. Don't have much of this stuff left cause it breaks.

[​IMG]

A very crude attempt at making a nut cracker. My first year of college. Machine shop was not my best subject. Obviously. Anyway, it works well. Ya don't wanna get yer nuts caught in this thing.

[​IMG]

A carpenter's goblet. Made from left over scraps of glued wood the kids used. No it's not all one piece. I ain't that good. 3 pieces turned on the wood lathe and then glued together. No finish. Proably mahagony & soft pine.

[​IMG]

An "Antique Hutch"project. Just the lower half. Graduation project. Made of solid 3/4" walnut, which sold for 3 bucks a linear foot a the time. Don't know what it would cost now. All toung and groove, dovtail, and glue joints. No nails was the requirement. Except for the door panels and the blank panel above the 2 lower drawers. They were originally meant to be for a stero and speakers to mount. Left detachable. Interior styles & such pecan. Only the bottom is 3/4" ply and the back 1/4" ply. [email protected] right I gradutated. 6 coats of sprayed on Defthane, hand rub on each coat. Been 38 years with the "Hutch," the wife and the SBH this month. Served as a dresser cause we were married a few weeks later. Couldn't afford furniture for he new apt. cause I had spent half of my first summer student loan check rebuilding the engine of my Merc. Comet Caliente, 289 V8. Another project of course. Other half of the left over funds went into my first SBH .44 mag Ruger down payment. Second summer loan check went to pay for wedding this class, materials, and pay off the SBH. The old Hutch now holds a 52" flat screen on it in the "dome' bedroom. Never did put the stereo in it. Oh, well. Now that's a Rednexican project that lasted.

[​IMG]

And this is the real reason I went to college and still owe 150K in student loans and haven't finished my master's program yet. Yes, so I could make these and sell them at the gunshows. This model is the large, 2 foot long, rubber band gun. Also have a short one @ a foot long. The things usually pay off the 70 dollar table rent and food for the weekend. Fortunately, I am blind and my buddy takes me and comvers the gas. Maybe someday, if I make enough of them I can pay off the student loans.

[​IMG]\\

So, please come by the gunshows when ya can and buy one for your kid. Large rifles are 10 bucks and small ones are 5 bucks, 2 rounds of ammo included. So, I only sell @ a grand of these in a year cause I can not make more shows alone every week like I use to. I don't drive anymore. At this rate, I will have my student loans paid off in 150 years if it accrues no interest. Yeah right, that will never happen. And I will be long dead before then.:D

You can find me between the guy that sells jerky and the girl that sells Ice cream at teh show. They weill no longer allow me at the front door cause I grab too many guns that come in the front door before the guys that pay alot more for more tables, called "Hawking Guns." Maybe they think I have alot of $ cause I went to college and might buy up everything thawt comes in the front door. Guess I am being punished or somethng, so I am at the back by the jerky ice cream and candy coated peanuts too. They probably sell close to a grand a show of that stuff and they never even went to college.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  18. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

I like it all! And don't worry about gett'n older and not seeing so good any more. 'Cause you ain't alone with that, and it beats the hell out of not gett'n old ;):D

19. Pancho_Villa

Appologies to Fido for Jacking his thread!!!!!

Almost forgot. Have to put a plug in for my kid too. Here is some of his work. He works full time for the Texas A&M system in Kingsville, Texas as an Asst. Director of Marketing, Communications and Graphic Design. Also teaches night classes at the university this year in computer programming and graphic design. He and a friend just moved their small business to a new building. Called Dark Tide Comics, Crafts, and Hobbies, they should be operational again by next week in Kingsville, Texas. He is also expecting to move several thousand bucks worth of ceramics casting equipment and kilns to the building from storage. He bought the stuff from 2 failed businesses. He is expecting to teach ceramics clases at their new shop a couple of times a week.

Here is some of his stuff. He is alot better at it than I am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, go on by and visit with them at a festival this weekend at J.K. Northway Colosseum in Kingsville, Texas and buy some stuff. We have packing crates full of it. Most of the time it gets donated for benefit auctions and sales for community fund raising projets like this one. He only owes half as much as I do in student loans along with a 6K small business loan that he got to expand the business. He might just pay off alot of his loans cause he is still young and has his master's degree.

20. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member