Ankle holster

Discussion in 'Holsters and Cases' started by boltaction, Feb 25, 2017.

1. boltaction

boltaction New Member

Just bought a Ruger LCP II and would like to CC with an ankle holster. Any suggestions from personal experience? Thanks

2. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I carry my J-frame in a Galco Ankle Glove. Very comfortable and retains the firearm securely. I love that it's specifically formed for my revolver, not a one-size-fits-none neoprene garbage.

For my LCP II, I'll be going with the Galco Ankle Lite.

I prefer Ankle carry over pocket carry for my BUG for two reasons -
    • On my ankle, the firearm isn't pointed at anyone while I'm seated.
    • When I'm in a vehicle, the firearm is much more easily and discretely accessed compared to trying to retrieve it from my pocket.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1488123475.357479.jpg

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

If you Google search on BUGBite Holster (the caps are unnecessary for the search) you will be introduced to an example of EasyCZ's "neoprene garbage". It seems to have its enthusiasts.

Being more than a little arthritic, my ankles are not easily accessed - except when I'm driving my car or otherwise seated. Hmm - there's a thought. A BUG for the times when I am seated.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have thought about carrying my new LC9s in an ankle holster. I think I might worry about the holster coming loose or the gun falling out and my not noticing it. I wonder would the LC9S be a little big to ankle carry?
    I have a shoulder holster but I don't care for it. For me it prints/bulges to much under a loose shirt and most of the year here I don't even wear a jacket. So it sits in storage. So now I am thinking about an ankle holster to carry the LC9s as a back up bug.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I am debating getting one of those BUGBites, and transferring my carry gun to it while driving. T'would eliminate the interference problem with the seat belt at the latch.

6. buster40c

Vt I checked the bugbite holsters. It says pistols should be max 5.5" l by 4" h. My LC9s, 640-1, and LCR all are over their max sizes to fit.

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

That is strange; those guns are pretty typical 'ankle guns'. There's a piscine scent wafting from Denmark. Those BUGBite numbers may not include the grip, seeing as how it ain't in the holster. If so, wonder why they didn't exclude it.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Ah, I think I see what they are doing. the grip doesn't go into the holster of course, but if it is too long it will stick out beyond the calf - and print. It the gun is too long in the other direction, the trigger guard will clear the holster, allowing the gun to tip - and print. I betcha the LC9s and the LCR with stock grip will do fine. My SR40c not so much.

9. buster40c

I went to EBAY and bought an ankle holster for $2.68 with free shipping from China. LOL I will not be at a big loss if I don't like ankle carry. Those boats from China must run on solar power instead of diesel.

The bigbite dimensions do include the grip. Go to their site and it shows how they measure the gun.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I've decided to abandon the 'ankle holster for the car' idea. If I remove the gun from the belt holster while driving, there are better places to put it. No Buster, not there; be nice.

11. buster40c

VT I wasn't going to suggest where you could shove it. LOL
    Being nice for accessibility in the car a better place for my gun is in the door compartment.
    I am going to see how easy or difficult it is for me to pull my jeans pant leg up to draw my gun out while sitting or standing.

Because of the slow boat from China it could be 2-4 weeks before I get the holster.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  12. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

The BugBite rig's max dimensions are 5" tall x 7" long (roughly the size of a G19). But, there's no way in heck I'm carrying a gun the size and weight of a fully loaded G19 on my ankle.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1488604651.027430.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1488604872.055889.jpg

This BugBite contraption puts the firearm halfway up your calf! How the heck, in real life, are you supposed to get to it with regular pants on? Calf carry is not ankle carry, gents.

But, to each his own. It's a free country. If you want to put your $500+ firearm in a $39.99 Chinese calf holster, go right ahead. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Galco has been around for decades and make quality gun leather. BugBite, not so much. JMHO YMMV

13. buster40c

LOL Just imagine how good my $2.98 ankle holster will be. I will let you know when I get it.

14. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Looking forward to your review.

15. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

Does anyone here run the LCR in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster?

If so, what size?

16. buster40c

I tried my LCR in my foreign made ankle holster. The gun fit inside easy enough but because of the rounded frame where the hammer is the strap didn't hold the gun in the holster well enough. I thought it could possibly come out and my not know it.

I have to say IMO ankle holsters are made more for almost pocket rocket size guns. A small J frame isn't bad as long as the butt is fairly small. My LC9s fit it fairly well but I sure wouldn't want to try anything much bigger. The height/length of the butt will decide how much it might push out the pants.

Also if the holster doesn't have something to hold the holster up. like a top wrap around the calf then the holster can slip down. The barrel then might rub against the ankle which isn't comfortable to say the least. That's what my $2.98 holster doesn't have.

17. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

I'm too gun poor to buy an Ankle Glove at this time.

Their ankle lite is another option but reviews say it's flimsy
    material when reholstering,

No such reviews about the expensive, but excellent AG.

We will see if the UM size 0 ankle holster is big enough to accept
    a LCR.

They only list one size for revolvers.

18. RogerRuger

RogerRuger Member

I have a Bugbite and put a Kahr CT380 in it. Bugbite is very comfortable. The 3/4 inch wide Kahr is very comfortable all day long. It does not slip down like the other ankle holsters I have. Obviously it is just an extra. I normally have LC9 on my hip and LCP380 under the steering wheel. My be just me but I like the Bugbite.

19. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

The new UM Ankle holster does fit my NIB KLCR .357, but my DeSantis Apache also fits.