Anchoring A Gun Safe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dispatch, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Short of bolting it to the floor(which is not possible), what are some ways to anchor a stand up gun safe without said bolting?

The only thing I can come up with is some sort of cable lock, threaded through the holes in the 4 pallet feet that screw onto the bottom of the safe, then looping a long enough cable through some sort of heavy object that can not be moved.

Other than that, what are some different suggestions? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Why can't you anchor it to the floor?

3. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Yep, take those legs off and put anchor bolts into the slab, drill some holes and your done. Or anchor it to the wall. Most of those safes have predrilled holes for walls.

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

If that wall has 2x4 studs you could go run a hardened cable around those. It wouldn't be completely theif - proof but it would raise the degree of difficulty quite a bit. Screwing the safe right to the studs would be better though.

5. Dispatch

Dispatch New Member

Found The Camera!

I'm sorry folks, I posted that first pic as an example of what the safe's feet looked like but that's not my safe or my home.

I found my digital camera, here's mine.

The reason I can't bolt it to the floor is its in a bedroom and its on a Terraza floor.

I'm sure the cable will work I just can't figure out what/where to loop it to.

Has anyone else had this dilemma? [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. gunslinger669

No, can't say that I've had that particular problem.

7. gunslinger669

I'm assuming no holes in the floor because you just don't want holes in the floor. Fair enough. Anything you put in the wall can be overcome by the sheer weight of the safe and a crowbar. Unless you can bolt it in on two sides. Looks like you have it in a corner- that would work ....better than nothing.

I will say this, based on what I see in the pictures, your safe, isn't. Safe, that is. The gaps are wide enough for a pry bar or cold chisel and sledgehammer. Open in 5 minutes or less. It will slow down the local druggie burglar though.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

By the looks of it...the weigh of the safe will be enough.

Basically, a chain will just slow down a perp...

But sometimes...that's all you need.

If it's time consuming and noisy, the perp will give up.

Bolting it to the floor or chaining the feet will do nothing.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, I don't 'claim' anything more thief-proof than a 'security cabinet' (Stack-On). Do you live in an apartment - i.e. there is no suitable floor handy? My niece's husband has a Fort Knox (I think) safe in his basement, anchored to the concrete floor and the 2x6 wall studs.

[If I'm around to tell the firemen where to point the hose, it will be at the area the 'safe' is in - because the ammo is there too, and some powder.]

10. gunslinger669

DO NOT keep powder in a safe!!!! Open shelf or a storage cabinet built or sold SPECIFICALLY to hold powder. Holy crap.

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well jeez, I typed 'there', not 'in there', in reference to where the water ought to go. Holy Crap! Change your skivvies and read it again.

[The ammo and some powder are in the same area as the loading bench and 'safe'.]

:rolleyes:

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Good point......

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  13. gunslinger669

:lol: whew!!!!