Ammuntion rating

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by baronvoncatania, May 15, 2013.

1. baronvoncatania

baronvoncatania New Member

I just got back my .357 Blackhawk after 31 years and am buying ammo for it. Can someone explain what the "P" rating on the boxes are? I bought some 125grain +p what does the +p mean? what other ratings are there? Thanks jim c

2. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

3. baronvoncatania

baronvoncatania New Member

ammo rating

Thanks BHale

Thats all the options I have in my local gunshop, and their all hollow points! What are the other soft lead points that I could get?

Thanks jim

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Right now its just hard to get any ammo.

If you can find it there's Remington, Fiocchi, UMC, and Federal jacketed soft point that I have used before without any problems (those were regular load not +p)

5. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

A Blackhawk will swallow +P forever and never be affected.

+P is a term for higher pressure not more powder although more powder normally creates more pressure. The manufacturer might use a different and in fact smaller powder charge for a +P load than they do for a standard pressure round. All depends.

+P is recognized by the industry via SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers). I do not believe that +P+ is a recognized standard and as such most manufacturers will not authorize +P+ ammo.

If you want quality hot ammo, Buffalo Bore makes some of the stoutest stuff around. I've used it w/o issues in my SP101 and GP100. Don