Ammo supply and price changes coming?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by RFF, Mar 8, 2017.

1. RFF

RFF Member

"Federal Cartridge has cut 110 workers from its Anoka ammunition plant, citing an unexpected decline in the industry."

"Vista Outdoor officials last month said that the retail environment for ammunition sales has grown tougher since the election. Analysts have suggested that gun owners stocked up on bullets ahead of an expected win by*Hillary Clinton, but that*Donald Trump's surprise win scrambled everybody's plans."

Credit: Mark Reilly Managing Editor Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

I've read speculation that ammo prices will be coming down. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Despite the layoff Federal is going ahead with their expansion.

I've been doing my part buying up Federal Rimfire.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Stockpile ammo every time I get paid...it very rarely goes down in price.

3. RFF

RFF Member

I don't understand how there is a decline in the industry when everyone is waiting on ammo. As soon as anyone gets any in it is gone in hours with the exception of the high dollar match grade ammo.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I've been shooting since the 70's. I've never seen any type of shortage till Obama.

It's my understanding that during WWII there was a shortage because of the war.
    People didn't horde ammo, guns or components, they donated to the war effort. (Or so I've read).

IMHO the threat to your guns and ammo is over (for now) because Obummer and the Dems are out!
    The new guy claims to be pro-gun and that appears to be true.

Also (in my opinion) many people are still in the "gotta get it while I can mindset".
    I believe that will subside and the price and availability of ammo will go back to normal-ish.
    (Although it may take years for .22 RF ammo to normalize).

The price of guns might even go below what it should be after you factor in inflation.

All of the above is only valid if the 'establishment' is unable to lie / cheat / frame Trump out of office.
    If that happens the commies take over and..... You ain't seen nothin yet!

5. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I won't believe any of it until I see it.

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Looks like some AR prices are down - and 22LR ammo has been offered for 8¢ ea. lately.

7. RFF

RFF Member

Snagged a couple buys from Sportsman's Guide for under 6¢ a round. Can't break that 5¢ barrier. Lol

8. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

I just can't wait to see those prices come tumbling down, I will do my duty and purchase all I can. I won't be holding my breath however.

9. RFF

RFF Member

I don't see them coming down in price either. Would be nice to find more variety on the shelves.

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

So far I am sitting okay on ammo. I have enough powder to load about 7K rounds however I don't have enough bullets for that many. If there is anything I hate to do is pay the high price they want for .45 rounds. 9mm isn't as high. Why is there such a difference in price? But as long as I can reload, I will do that instead of paying the high prices.

Tommy

11. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

I had to solve that "lack of projectile" problem by buying some bullet moulds. Not that long ago I stopped in local dealer's shop and the shelves were totally devoid of any handgun bullets , I reload , they didn't even have any moulds !
    Placed an order with Midway , 3 moulds , 45 acp , 9mm and 38/357...$60.00 and I'm in business of making all I want. Cost isn't bad even buying scrap lead at recyclers, and if you can score free wheel weights , next to nothing.
    Gary

12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

In the last year or more,
    wheel weights are zinc , lead is all but outlawed .

Jim

13. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was at WM the other day and for the heck of it I checked the sporting good for 22lr ammo. I was surprised WM had a bunch of it in CCI and Federal. I bought 3 boxes{325 count} of the Federal for $17.99. Figured I would stock back up some.
    This was the first time since prior to the last 8 years that WM had so much ammo in stock. The prices still aren't like they were back then but they have come back down a little anyway.

14. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

I am going to start someday soon. I wonder, since it is lead with known issues, Have you provided some sort of hood when melting the lead to safely remove lead vapor from the room you do this, or are you going to do this outdoors?

15. RFF

RFF Member

Hmm Zinc bullets......... Could be interesting.

16. RFF

RFF Member

"Federal Cartridge has either laid off or given buyout packages to 12 percent of its workforce in Anoka, with more cuts in the last two weeks.

Last week, 21 salaried engineers, plant supervisors and other workers were laid off. This week, 21 hourly workers took buyouts.

The cuts were on top of 130 layoffs earlier in the month, bringing the total number of displaced workers to 172. The departures drop the Anoka plant’s employee count down to about 1,260 from 1,430.

The newest employee reductions are due to the “same drivers as before,” said Amanda Covington, spokeswoman for Federal Cartridge’s parent company, Utah’s Vista Outdoor. “It’s the changing market dynamics and changing demand” for ammunition that are forcing the staff reductions.

The company originally said 110 had been laid off in early March but revised that number to 130."

Credit:
    By*DEE DEPASS*, STAR TRIBUNE*
    March 29, 2017 - 9:34 PM

Hmm, someone lying to someone. I have received several responses from "Vista Outdoors" to inquires about 22 ammo not being available.

They keep stating that they are running 24/7 production to catch up with demand.

17. hodge

hodge New Member

Tractor Supply is carrying ammo, and when it's on the shelf, they have 1000 round bricks of Winchester HP's for $47.99.
    While supply may catch up with demand, I believe that people will continue to stockpile- 4 years isn't too far off, and if Trump doesn't win a second term, the dems are going to come out swinging.

18. RFF

RFF Member

Aguila is the only one around here that consistently has rimfire ammo available.

19. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

According to my Excel Spreadsheet of Ammo Inventory...I currently have 38,180 rounds of .22 Long Rifle...

That's 76.36 Bricks of 500...

Should be good for awhile... :rolleyes:

20. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

When I went to my range last week they had the small milk cartons of Aguila of .22 cal. rounds and the price was $45.00 for 320 rounds. Since I hardly shoot any .22 the price seemed high to me. I can reload my .45acp for around .19 cents per round if I am not having to buy brass. I usually just pick up range brass and sort through it. I went to Sportsman's a couple of weeks ago and they had .22 rounds of all different types and a lot of it was CCI although I did not check the pricing. Sorry about that and sorry I can't be more informative. To my understanding the .22 people are running 24 hours a day to make .22 rounds and if that is true, then why the high pricing?

Tommy