Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that in shooting similar ammo, that is same wt. same velocity both FMJ , same caliber, one seems to have more recoil or louder sound? I've noticed this on a number of occasions but never gave it much thought. Any ideas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Without more info/ headlamp caliber that's a tough one. I've reloaded for 35 years and there's so many reasons why ammo can be degraded. I always store my components carefully and dated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Possibly the powder burn rate.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
This is just my humble opinion but I think the manufacturers, like us, use different powders from different manufacturers. They are like us where, at times we have to take what we can get. I tried some Remington 230gr. round nose and noticed that recoil a little lighter than Winchester white box which I am sure not sold on. I think there are better ammo suppliers than the white box manufacturers.
Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Dunno what goes on with factory ammo, but with reloads there is 'famously loud' powder - Longshot for instance.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I have learned, that ammo mfgs also use powders that are custom blended for them for specific loads, that we reloaders dont have access to.
Hornady Leverevolution FTX is one example.
They get heigher velocities using a blended powder than I can get using shelf powders.

So they are different.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I have learned, that ammo mfgs also use powders that are custom blended for them for specific loads, that we reloaders dont have access to.
Hornady Leverevolution FTX is one example.
They get heigher velocities using a blended powder than I can get using shelf powders.

So they are different.

Jim
You can buy leverevolution powder,I saw some at the lgs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/1009175449/hodgdon-hornady-leverevolution-smokeless-powder

Don't know about the rest though.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I ve never seen it before,
Is it fairly new?

I gotta talk to my LGS about gittin some.

I like Hornady 45-70 Leverevolution .

Maybe I could duplicate it.

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts