Ammo chambering problem

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by kennygardner, Aug 11, 2013.

1. kennygardner

kennygardner New Member

I use Hornaday critical defense in lc9 and Federal hydra shok in LCP and the first round in each gets hung up when I go to chamber a round. Anybody got any suggestions? I can use a fmj as first round then the others feed OK.

Kenny

Sent from my XT907 using Ruger Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Reagan

Reagan New Member

If you look at experienced shooters on youTube, etc....the really knowledgeable shooters load their mags -1....many will dispute this

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

3. Don

Don Member

I'm sure I don't know as much as most the folks on here but I am somewhat experienced in annoying gun problems and a lot of trial and error dealing with them. Being unlucky and dumb makes for lots of good "learning opportunites".............LOL
    Either you got "lucky" and have a defective magazine for each gun or....
    possibly, you are not fully seating that top round into the magazine. Make sure it is pushed all the way in and back. My pocket 9 will mess up if I don't fully seat that top round and the spring tension is of course heaviest there. Another thought is to try some other brands of premium HP's and see what happens. Not all guns like all ammo. You may find that no matter how much you like a certain brand your gun does not. Feed it what it likes, it could save your life. Good luck.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hi Kenny,
    Welcome to Rugertalk.

First , let me encourage you to visit our "introductions" subforum, and introduce yourself.

Do you have another magazine to try?
    Maybe the mag lips are tiny bit off.

Jim

5. kennygardner

kennygardner New Member

Next time to the range I will check to make sure it is fully seated. Both are Ruger magazines. Thank you all.

Sent from my XT907 using Ruger Forum mobile app

6. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

That was a practice that got a lot of mileage from Vietnam military operations. Would say if it gives one some peace of mind, why not? In a .223 AR you're giving up a whopping 1 round out of 30.

Personally, on a modern defensive semi auto, I wouldn't hesitate to load it to the full capacity, download 1 when you take it off if that concerns you. Don

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Thread moved to the correct subforum: Gunsmithing

8. jcbfire13

jcbfire13 New Member

I have had the same problem with the same ammo. Except I'm using the 9 round extended mag. No problems with the stock 7 round mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum