American writing from Australia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Wizzzard, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Wizzzard

Wizzzard New Member

Hello all, this is Wizzard. I should have introduced myself 2 or so years ago when I signed on to this forum but failed, sorry for the protocol screw up.

I am an American who moved to Australia in 2006 to join my Australian wife. Unfortunately guns highly restricted here. Govt outlawed most and did buy back after one of the few unstable people killed 15-20 people with high powered semi automatic. You are allowed to OWN a handgun here but it must be KEPT in the care and custody of your shooting range facility (not allowed to take home). The range I have been to has heavy metal cages they lock you in, then they pass you the gun through a portal. They are not allowed to release you until the pass the gun back to them. I found it liveable but prevents you from setting up your own range.

Anyway, moving back to US (rural Missouri 50 miles out of St Louis) in 2018 and will be replacing the 10/22 and the Ruger 9mm I sold to come to AU. Will be picking up a SR22 for my wife. Parents land has a 50 yds range I built and will be adding a 100 yd and possible 200 yd. I will be shooting the 10/22 for precision and am here with questions or comments.

That's about it and VERY happy to be here....

Wizzzard

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome from Texas USA. Glad to have you here with us.
    I hear so many things about the gun laws in Australia, all bad unfortunately.

If you wouldn't mind please tell us/me the ends and outs of gun ownership in the country.
    Like when and how did they go about taking guns and gun rights away from the people and what type of guns can you own.
    I know Australia does not have 2nd amendment type protection.

Here in the USA we are holding on as best we can! Having family here in the states I guess you know what we've been up against lately.

Thanks for joining in on the conversation,
    MagnumBlackhawk :)

3. Wizzzard

Wizzzard New Member

First of all NO crime here, we sleep with our front door open to catch a breeze, no need for self defense. Guns open allowed with no real laws restricting until massacre that happened about 15 yrs ago (like Columbine or any of the others). Unlike the US, nothing like that had happened here so went unbelievable high profile and gave govt support to restrict guns.

The only people allowed to possess any gun at home are farmers (for shooting vermin, etc). They are only allowed bolt action rifles (no semi automatics for any reason). People can own guns but like I said must KEEP them at the shooting range (range employees keep them locked secure until person ready to shoot (in cage, etc). I assume they have the same setup for rifles but have never checked.

Personally as much as I love guns I would agree to such conditions in US EXCEPT US is different than AU, US has extreme criminal element. A gun buy back would be destructive as only the law abiding people would turn in their guns. In AU when someone gets shot ANYWHERE it makes the local news EVERYWHERE, that is how rare it is.

I don't know statistics but if they have an average of less than TEN deaths a year due to guns for the entire year it would not surprise me. This place is completely different. I have lived in parts of St Louis where it was dangerous to leave your house (several guns kept in house by door). I had no permit to carry and felt very vunerable when outside. We go out all the time here and I feel very safe which is rare for me. I worked an ambulance for several years when young and worked several shootings/suicides. I have personally seen what some guns do to the human body. Ever since then I have always insisted in keeping a gun in the house UNTIL I got here (9 yrs ago). I DONT support gun restrictions in the US but I DO here as I will trade the experience of having a gun at home for complete safety with NO FEAR.

Hope I have given you a little summary of the situation here......

Wizzzard

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Thanks for the introduction and choosing to join RT. I suppose many would like to know more about the Aussie experience. Unreal the wild animal life Australia has but people aren't allowed a gun for protection. Sort of moves man down on the superior ladder. But then again that is similar to a point here also.
    What do you see is the reason crime is less there than here? I don't want to live in any big city in the USA because of the crime. To many people act like dog eat dog for me to feel safe there.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  5. Wizzzard

Wizzzard New Member

The only explanation I have for no crime in AU is that I have found the Australian people are entirely different from Americans in one important way, they are the most laid back, relaxed and considerate people I have ever met. I have only lived in US and AU so they are the only two societies I know but I have had good experience after good experience since arriving here. You all would be SHOCKED to see how the Australian people treat each other. I could give you example after example of people going out of their way to help me sometimes in some of the smallest ways, usually complete strangers. After living all my life in US, I had no clue that there were people anywhere on this earth that acted this nice.....

6. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Thats amazing wizzard considering the history of the place. I think your yanking my jaw cus I've seen those Mad Max documentaries.

7. Wizzzard

Wizzzard New Member

No joke regard my comments. I would truthfully expect most Americans to be sceptical regard my comments as I would have found it hard to believe had I not seen it for myself for years now.....

8. buster40c

Well Wizzard the way things are going here you might be better off staying there. I guarantee if guns were taken away here then crime would surely not go down. Since more people own guns now there has been less crime. Imagine that, that is opposite of what people are being asked to believe here.
    It might be interesting how many people are on government welfare there compared to here.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Wow, safe to sleep with the door open, sounds like a great place to me. We sure don't feel safe doing that here!

After the last hurricane we were without A/C for two weeks. We had to open all the doors and windows for some air.
    I slept near the front door with my pistol and shotgun and relied on the neighborhood dogs for warning.
    We are in a good 'country' neighborhood but still................

10. Wizzzard

Wizzzard New Member

I agree the US is a good place to live. The "perfect" place would be America with an Australian mentality. I also worked as a police officer for several years during my 20's, unfortunately violence is a part of too many of "us"....

11. Wizzzard

Wizzzard New Member

To give you an example of HOW safe it is here Kevin Rudd (Prime Minister when I came here) would go on a daily run in a local park (saw video footage of this several times on news). With him was a total of ONE security guard following 10-15 feet behind. He would run within a few feet of other people with most yelling a greeting to him. He tells people on the street to call him Kevin (first name). When he is interviewed by the media they routinely address him by his first name. His official residence has a total of two police officers standing outside gate. That is the Total security for the country's leader.

To compare it to the US, it would be like having a city the size of Los Angeles or New York and having 2, maybe 3, gun related murders for the entire year. In no sense is it an exaggeration to describe the mentality here as absolutely unbelievable. Had I not lived here for nine years I never would have believed it...

12. buster40c

I live out 5 miles from a small country town and I never used to lock my cars or my house doors but there have been quite a few newcomers around me now. I have since then noticed signs of people being on my property while I was gone. So now I lock my cars and house doors. Got a dog and put up a useless no trespassing sign at end of my driveway which is chained off even when I am home now.
    Times are changing for sure.

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The "perfect" place would be America with an Australian mentality

Wizzard,
    From what you are telling us I would have to agree with that statement.
    Sounds like the only down side would be I couldn't play with my guns at home or own a 10/22 to play with.
    When I used to do a lot of squirrel hunting a semi-auto shotgun was my firearm of choice. Second best was a semi-auto .22 LR.
    Those would be out where you live I'm guessing.
    I suppose people hunt in Australia, how does that work? Sorry, I'm full of questions about places I'll likely never go to.

I'm also guessing reloading is not allowed either. For me reloading is almost more of a hobby than shooting. I would certainly miss that.

Living in a place where the country's leaders would be safe visiting with the "regular folks" sounds like utopia to me.
    Why are you coming back to the states anyway?
    Kidding, I know you have family here.
    The love of shooting, loading my own or family might be the only reason I would come back.

14. Wizzzard

Wizzzard New Member

Other than farmers hunting on their own property I have never of any hunting here. As far as reloading the law is screwy, you are allowed to possess the individual parts (primers, cases, etc) but not the finished product (assembled bullet). Makes no sense to me.

I have seen one gun store in 9 yrs, I assume after the purchase the shop owner is responsible for shipping the weapon to your gun range of choice. You are not allowed to take possession of it,,,

15. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Welcome from Texas!