Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations on a good, but budget friendly scope. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
If you figure a fixed power will do for you, the Simmons 22 Mag 4X works for me on my 10/22.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
^^^^^that......

Jim

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you live near a Scheel's All Sports store, their Icon store brand is terrific. I believe the fixed 4x is less than $100. Bushnell makes some decent stuff for less than $100 too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I skipped the Scope and went for a Peep Sight. It screwed right to "trapped" near the stock end. It's a bunch of fun, though I'm thinking a 22mag. is what I should have bought; but what the heck, it's still fun to see how far of a distance I can wack a mediun size pear at.

·
Registered
992 Posts
^^ love those peep sights. I think if the front post is thin enough, peeps can be very close to scopes for accuracy out to 50 yards. Plus they're just fun to use...

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I have a Williams peep and a fiber-optic front on my Browning B-92. Useful out to 100 yards.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I have an old set of Redfield peep sites that I used when we shot competition back in the 70's. I don't know what to do with them as I haven't shot a rifle or for that matter any long gun in 25 years. I suppose someone will come along and decide they want to go back to the old style shooting someday. It seems as if everybody will spend a bunch of money for glass anymore and the factory or peep sights are no longer desired.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I have an old set of Redfield peep sites that I used when we shot competition back in the 70's. I don't know what to do with them as I haven't shot a rifle or for that matter any long gun in 25 years. I suppose someone will come along and decide they want to go back to the old style shooting someday. It seems as if everybody will spend a bunch of money for glass anymore and the factory or peep sights are no longer desired.

Tommy
"Glass" lets most of us see as well - or better - than we can shoot. No good way to put glass on a B-92 though. And it just looks wrong anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I started using peep sights in my muzzle loader days. Both hunting in Washington State, and in the Mountain Man competitions, glass "optics" aren't allowed. I had a peep sight on a Marlin 30-30, during my Single Action/Cowboy Shooting days as well, I surprised the contenders when I made a 200 yr. shot on a life size, metal cutout of a buff. It took 2 attempts, but the next 3 were spot on. My old eyes might not be able to do that any more, but there was a day :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not really sure about the American.22, but I recently purchased a slightly used Ruger m77 All-Weather.22 and put a Burris .22lr scope on it. Does perfect for my use. It has 2-7 magnification with I think a 36mm objective. I think I paid something like $180 for it new. That was last summer. I love the scope and really love the.22.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What scope you put on your rifle all depends on what type of shooting you will be doing. If your looking for a hunting/plinking scope, then a 3-9× should be fine. If you plan on shooting target benchrest, then you want something that has at least 18× magnification. Depending on the type of benchrest maybe even more magnification. A good all around scope would be a 4-16×. Don't bother with a rimfire scope, just make sure to get something with an AO. Pretty much anything from Vortex is tough to beat for the $.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts