American Rimfire 22LR

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by slowthor, Sep 6, 2016.

1. slowthor

slowthor New Member

Looking for recommendations on a good, but budget friendly scope. Thanks!!

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

If you figure a fixed power will do for you, the Simmons 22 Mag 4X works for me on my 10/22.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

^^^^^that......

Jim

4. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

If you live near a Scheel's All Sports store, their Icon store brand is terrific. I believe the fixed 4x is less than $100. Bushnell makes some decent stuff for less than $100 too.

5. slowthor

slowthor New Member

Went for the Simmons 22 Mag...looking forward to trying it out. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1473470230.627855.jpg

6. spikedriver

Give us a report, we love to hear how new gear performs. Hope it works out great for you!

7. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

The local Wal-Marts carry a 4x Tasco for around $60.00. I put one on one of my 10/22's. Works good for the price.

8. 6-Oclock

6-Oclock New Member

I skipped the Scope and went for a Peep Sight. It screwed right to "trapped" near the stock end. It's a bunch of fun, though I'm thinking a 22mag. is what I should have bought; but what the heck, it's still fun to see how far of a distance I can wack a mediun size pear at.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  9. 6-Oclock

6-Oclock New Member

Here is the Peep Sight I added, I like the wind/elevation adjustments are simple screws that lock.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  10. spikedriver

^^ love those peep sights. I think if the front post is thin enough, peeps can be very close to scopes for accuracy out to 50 yards. Plus they're just fun to use...

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have a Williams peep and a fiber-optic front on my Browning B-92. Useful out to 100 yards.

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have an old set of Redfield peep sites that I used when we shot competition back in the 70's. I don't know what to do with them as I haven't shot a rifle or for that matter any long gun in 25 years. I suppose someone will come along and decide they want to go back to the old style shooting someday. It seems as if everybody will spend a bunch of money for glass anymore and the factory or peep sights are no longer desired.

Tommy

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

"Glass" lets most of us see as well - or better - than we can shoot. No good way to put glass on a B-92 though. And it just looks wrong anyway.

14. 6-Oclock

6-Oclock New Member

I started using peep sights in my muzzle loader days. Both hunting in Washington State, and in the Mountain Man competitions, glass "optics" aren't allowed. I had a peep sight on a Marlin 30-30, during my Single Action/Cowboy Shooting days as well, I surprised the contenders when I made a 200 yr. shot on a life size, metal cutout of a buff. It took 2 attempts, but the next 3 were spot on. My old eyes might not be able to do that any more, but there was a day :)

15. RFF

RFF Member

Did you have to change the front sight to?

16. Shelge20

Shelge20 New Member

Not really sure about the American.22, but I recently purchased a slightly used Ruger m77 All-Weather.22 and put a Burris .22lr scope on it. Does perfect for my use. It has 2-7 magnification with I think a 36mm objective. I think I paid something like $180 for it new. That was last summer. I love the scope and really love the.22.

17. nick7274

nick7274 New Member

What scope you put on your rifle all depends on what type of shooting you will be doing. If your looking for a hunting/plinking scope, then a 3-9× should be fine. If you plan on shooting target benchrest, then you want something that has at least 18× magnification. Depending on the type of benchrest maybe even more magnification. A good all around scope would be a 4-16×. Don't bother with a rimfire scope, just make sure to get something with an AO. Pretty much anything from Vortex is tough to beat for the $.