American Rifle feeding problem

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by x-hunter, Mar 14, 2014.

1. x-hunter

x-hunter New Member

First let me say I've had several different Ruger products and they have always been top shelf on quality. I just purchased a new American Rifle in a 223 rem caliber. It has one very annoying problem. I'm not crazy about the plastic mag but I realize it's all about controlling the bottom line. However, it should still work. It's difficult to load but that will just take some getting used to. The problem is when the bolt slides forward to strip off the last cartridge in the mag, as soon as the cartridge starts moving forward the head of the cartridge drops down allowing the bolt to slide right over the top of the cartridge. The bullet has already tried to start heading up into the chamber so the bolt just jambs it and pinches it trying to crush the cartridge. I'm really surprised this one got by Ruger. I reload and can shoot this gun for less than my larger calibers so I planned on doing more target shooting than anything, If I had known it would do this I would not have bought the gun. I could get by, by simply not cycling that last cartridge but do not like compensating for design flaws, especially in firearms. wondering if any one has had this experience and what did they do.

2. American223

American223 New Member

I bought two Ruger Americans 223 last month, haven't had any problems. Love the gun.

3. blastco2

blastco2 New Member

I bought one last week and it does the same thing. Sometimes it does it on the first round also. Fiocchi 50gr vmax .223 reminton. The mag is a little loose in the mag well but, holding it in tight does not seem to help. Are these mags to be loaded like a 10/22 or should the cartridges be pressed in from the top? It does say on the mag to "top load". Anyway, I'll be calling ruger first thing Monday. Ruger's customer service is the worlds best so, I have high hopes.....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  4. unclebobbyB

unclebobbyB New Member

I have the same problem with .308

5. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

I was considering a new 30-06 in the American line I'll be watching this thread for progress and solutions. Thanks guys
    Art Sr.

6. Bull

Bull New Member

I put 24 rds through my .308 American today.... Fed smooth.

7. blastco2

blastco2 New Member

Tried to call ruger on Monday june 30th. The rifle service people are off till Monday the 7th. I'll try again next monday.

8. blastco2

blastco2 New Member

Called ruger today, finally. The lady that I talked to was very helpful/nice. Said that they would send a new mag that had been "tested" and this feeding thing is a known problem. I have an item shipped notification in my email this evening.

9. blastco2

blastco2 New Member

Got the new mag. Works perfect! The follower is further into the opening which, prevents the case head from dropping into the mag and holds the last round tighter against the feed lips. The mag holds and feeds 6 rounds like it was made to....ruger says it holds 5. The original would hold six also. No I didn't screw it up by loading six in it. Never tried six until after I had determined that it wouldn't feed the last round.

10. bulldog5

bulldog5 New Member

I bought the American in 243 about a month ago & have shot 3 boxes of Hornady American whitetail 100 gr through it with no problems

11. Micsonit

Micsonit New Member

Had the same problem with the 308 I just bought this weekend. Contacted Ruger and they are going to send me a range tested mag in the morning. This is not like Ruger, but things happen and Ruger was great to deal with. Great company!

12. supremecowboy

supremecowboy New Member

I bought a ruger american .223 and it didnt want to feed first round, it crushed it.I sent back to factory , it was only 10 days old.they are working on it now.

13. Gandalfdgray

Gandalfdgray New Member

Bought a .308 last month and had feed problems. I soaked the magazine in "Gun Scubber" overnight and that cleared up the feed issues. Last round is still stove-piping.

14. x-hunter

x-hunter New Member

Customer service sent me new mag, same problem. Next, when I lifted the bolt handle the ejector claw broke off. Ruger customer service being top notch, took the gun back and repaired it and threw in a new mag with the gun when they shipped it back. Now I have three mags that don't work. Oh well. I don't feel good about selling something because there is a problem with it, but I would love to get rid of it. Love my three M77's, I'll just stay with them.

Last edited: May 18, 2015