American Pistol Compact Problem.

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by greg_r, Aug 27, 2017.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Just started having issues with the last round hold open on my RAPc. With the 12 round magazine the slide has started to fail to lock open just about every time. The full size magazine will lock open on the last round probably 6 out of 10 times.

I stripped the magazines to swap out followers to see it that made a difference, but the springs seem to be all but molded into the followers, so I did not switch them out.

Anyway, the followers seem to be identical, no noticeable wear. I do not see any issues with the LRHO lever either. The pistol has functioned without any malfunctions until a too long remanufactured round jammed up the works. The issue started the next range trip afterwards so I think it's related.

Any thoughts? I will call Ruger Monday.

(Another reason I don't like shooting other people's reloads. Went to a range where they would not allow me to shoot my ammo, had to use range ammo. I bought the remanufactured stuff being cheap like I am. :mad:)

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Ahem. Make a note, Greg. Stay away from them thar money-grubbing ranges. The excuse they use don't hunt.

Anyway, I suspect your analysis is correct: You have jammed up works. The Ruger tech, if she's an oldtimer, will tell you to unbend the frammis*.

*frammis is a part name first officially used in Mad Magazine (I think). It seems to come in several configurations. I noticed several of them last time I checked the oil in my RAV4.

3. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

My guess is the slide catch extension that contacts the mag follower is bent. But I have nothing to compare it to. Funny thing is you can see a noticeable difference between how far up the full size magazine pushed the slide catch vs how far the compact mag pushes it.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah, that does seem odd. I'd think the difference in the mags would be at the bottom, not the top. ?

Wait - I said "I'd think". I stopped thinking (clearly) early last Wednesday.

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

A few picts. No mag, compact mag, standard mag.

Attached Files:

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Well, I called Ruger last Monday and asked for a 12 round magazine spring. They sent me the whole magazine. Got it Saturday and it fixed it. I was so worried I had bent something that should not have been bent. I have had mag spring issues in the past, but they have always came on gradually. First time I have ever had one go from 100% working to 100% not working in one step.