Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father passed to me an 1887 Winchester, 12 gauge lever gun. It is in great shape, although the finish is about gone. Someone previously did some refinishing of the wood, so it is more of a cool gun to have, than a serious collectors piece. However, I want to and will take care of it- it is sentimental to me.
It needs to be refinished. I have been conversing with Robar, but I haven't bit that bullet (no pun intended), yet. It would be $415 to refinish it, plus the cost to ship it to them, and have it shipped back. So, I would be looking at $500-$600, which is a stretch right now. New grandchild, homeless friend living with us, I have to redo our bridge decking, etc.- money is there, but not to refinish the shotgun.
Any suggestions for alternate options? I know that cold blue refinishing isn't favored that much, but would it buy me time? We live in a humid climate, and I have to constantly care for the gun to keep surface rust away. I do not have an environmentally controlled gun safe, yet- that's another expense that I need to factor in, at some point. Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions, good or bad experiences, etc. would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
If you want to buy yourself some time, get some cosmoline. That'll preserve it until you're ready to have it refinished

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
For $50 you can get a DuraBlu kit. I think it did an awesome job on my Marlin 22lr 60 series. IMO it looks better than any cold bluing I tried. If later on you want to do a salt blue then just strip the durb;u. You will be stripping the original finish anyway.
Just tape off and plug where you don't want paint. DuraBlu is supposedly a very good rust preventive.
Before and after DuraBlu.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For $50 you can get a DuraBlu kit. I think it did an awesome job on my Marlin 22lr 60 series. IMO it looks better than any cold bluing I tried. If later on you want to do a salt blue then just strip the durb;u. You will be stripping the original finish anyway.
Just tape off and plug where you don't want paint. DuraBlu is supposedly a very good rust preventive.
Before and after DuraBlu.
Thanks for the visuals!
The more I think about it, the more I think that a cold treatment, right now, is the best way to go. I do believe that the shotgun is worth putting the money in to, but not at the moment. This isn't a gun that I would carry or handle much, so the cold finishes being less durable isn't an issue. I just need to protect it, and I don't think I want to coat it in cosmoline.
Thanks for all of the input, and especially the photos, buster!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts