Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering this for a while now.
I see kids having airsoft wars all the time. As I'm sure you all know, an airsoft gun is a plastic pistol/rifle that shoots a small plastic bb at about 100-270 fps. The bbs are pretty light so they won't break the skin or anything but they still sting. Oh, the guns are spring powered most of the time.

When I see kids playing with these guns, I just can't help but think how this is going to confuse them if they ever own 'real' guns. When I pick one of these up, I automatically assume it's a firearm and treat it that way.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't want MY kids' instinct to be to pick up a gun and point it at somebody. I want them to pick it up, pointing it in a safe direction with fingers off the trigger and open the action. My kids are very safe, when I go to the range, more times than not they are some of the safest people there!

So, what's your opinion?

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Never had a problem knowing the difference growing up...have pictures of me @ 4 years old with a cowboy hat, chaps, vest and a dual six gun rig around my waist...

My parents instilled in me the difference between play and real life...and I was taught at an early age to handle firearms with the respect that it deserved...going back to the safety basics.

When my father first took me hunting... I was taken to a range to sight in our rifles...and used those early teachings to reinforce the difference between cap guns and real firearms...

In today's world however...with the airsoft and nerf projectiles sold today...and the apparent lack of guidance the youth of today exhibit...I am sure the teachings of my generation will be lost UNLESS someone steps up and teaches this new generation the fundamentals of firearm safety.

One can only hope that will happen...

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Sorry to say but I am sure there are more than a few people dead because a child didn't know they were playing with a real life weapon that wasn't used to play games with.
IMO Even children shooting each other with BB guns is wrong. Children should be taught all guns including play guns should still be treated as a real life weapon/gun. I wouldn't want to find out what a plastic bb would do to an eyeball.
I watched a show. perhaps 60 minutes, where parents got to watch what their children would do with a real gun they found. Most of these kids were between 5 and 10 years of age. The parents were surprised that even though they taught their kids about real guns and to immediately give the found guns to an adult many of the kids treated it as a no more than a toy.
When we were kids no gun that actually shot a projectile was to be pointed at another person or other than a can or specially made target. Don't underestimate what a child will do with a real gun so be sure to teach them all guns should be treated as if they were real weapons. I promise you that if a kid shot me with a bb gun it would be the last time I was around that kid or the parent.
Cops today don't have time to be sure if a gun is only a bb gun when the guns are replicas of real guns. Not all replicas have a red plastic piece sticking out of the barrel either. The objective in toy guns is to make it look as real as possible.
Because of that they should be treated the same as real guns/weapons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts