Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for the discussion of air rifles and handguns...whether they are powered by springs, pistons, pnumatics (gas) or carbon dioxide (CO2).

=======================================================

My favorite squirrel (chipmunk, rabbit, crow, pigeon, dove, etc) rifle...

MECHANISM

-Velocity: 1200 fps with PBA, 1000 fps with Lead
-Single Shot
-Break Barrel: Single Cocking System, Spring piston
-Automatic Cocking Safety system
-Manual Trigger safety
-Barrel: Fluted, Polymer Jacketed Rifled Steel
-Non-removable noise dampener (with up to 52% reduction)
-Cocking Effort: 30 lbs
-Trigger: Second Stage adjustable
-Manual Safety

STOCK

-Stock: Tough All Weather molded Synthetic
-Butt Plate: Ventilated rubber pad for recoil absorption
-Cheekpiece: Thin cheekpad molded on each side
-Checkering: Non-Slip texture design on grip and forearm

SIGHTS

-Fiber optic front sight with sight guard
-Fiber optic adjustable rear sight.

OPTICS

-Scope Ramp: Raised Rail
-Scope: 39x40 standard reticle air rifle scope with one piece solid mount

SPECIFICATIONS

-Weight: 5.28 lbs
-Length: 46.0 inches
-Ammunition: Any .177 Pellet
-Caliber: .177
-Trigger Pull: 3.74 lbs
-Cocking effort:30 lbs
-Barrel Length: 18 inches

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just helped a friend clean out his basement / garage and was gifted the following...a Crosman Mark II

SPECS:

Manufacturer: Crosman
Model: , Model Mark II
Made In: USA
Manufactured Dates: 1966 - 1986
Caliber/Ammunition/Feed: 177, lead pellet or steel BB, single-shot
Air Source: CO2, 12 g Powerlet
Accessories: 5 Crosman Powerlets / BB's / .177 pellets / 2 darts

Weight (lb): 2.8
Length (in): 11.0
Body Material: metal
Finish: black
Grips: plastic
Barrel Length (in): 7.75
Material: steel
Rifled: yes
Trigger Action: SA
Trigger Pull (lbs) 6
Adjustable: yes
Sights (front/rear): fixed, fully adjustable
Velocity (fps): 420 (hi), 320 (lo)
Sound Level (dB):100

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This also came with the deal...a vintage Marksman Repeater.

SPECS:

Power Source: Spring Piston
Cocking Action: Slide
Ammo: .177 BBs ( 18 round reservoir ), Pellets, Darts and Bolts
Velocity: 200 fps

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I enjoy hunting small game with the Gamo rifle. Got these two dove on opening day...

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So...anyone else here target shoot and hunt with their airguns...!?

I find it keeps my eye/hand coordination and trigger control sharp when I can't get to the range to practice

or when I have to dispatch a destructive varmint in the garden.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Yeah , its been a while, but my Hatsan 86 Sniper is scarey accurate.
A lot of fun to target shoot also.

Jim

·
Registered
81 Posts
Living in the state of Texas, we are bound, very tightly at times, by the rules and regulations of the Texas Parks & Wildlife. Almost every animal in Texas is listed as a game animal, a migratory bird, or a protected species, except for some English Starlings, wild hogs... almost every thing else you have to have a hunting license to take, and they have to be taken with approved firearms or archery gear.

It wasn't too long ago that the minimum draw on a bow for hunting deer was 45 lbs. that has now changed, to no restriction. Migratory birds must be taken with a shotgun.

Starting in November of this year, it will become legal to take tree rats with a .177 caliber or larger pellet gun that has a velocity over 600 feet per second..

Alas, the Red Ryder won't cut it.. but I have a back yard full of pecan trees, and a Gameo 1200 fps .177 caliber break over pellet rifle I'm just itching to try on the fuzzy fellows..

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice shootin' Jim...rabbit stew for dinner. ( And only one pellet to remove...)

TxLobo....

The GAMO is more than up to the task...as you can see !! Good Huntin' !!

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Well, it isn't the Daisy BB gun of my youth. That one seemed much better than this old Red Ryder. My late F in law got it some years back to train the kids to shoot. The tape on the stock show the location of the cut he made so it would fit the kids. Rear sight is really jacked up for long ranges< I guess? It still shoots and those kids are now 30+ years old.

This is an old Crossman 760 pellet/BB rifle. Again, not quite as well mage and just doesn't seem to have the power of my old gun from back when. Stocks ar plastic too instead of wood like my old gun. Got 2 of these for the kids back in the late 80s for shootingournd the old rancho. It is a bolt action repeater in .177 cal with BBs or single shot with pellets. I actually went through several of these myself. Still see them sold. This old one still shoots, but will barely dent a can now.

An old warhorse, all brass, original Benjamin Pump .22 cal. pellet rifle. Looked long and hard to find one of hte older ones in good shape. When I married my wife she came with one of these packed in her bags. Her dad had bought it for her and her brother to shoot back in the early 60s. Her brother was not much for guns, so she took it. It was well worn and we wore it out a second time after it was rebuilt. However, we put that one to rest. Finally found this one to replace it. It has the old type action at the rear of the gun. I have had newer ones that were Crossman/Benjamin, but they just didn't cut it. This one is just marked Benjamin. Her old gun had the older type round forend with grooves, but everything else is hte same. Deadly accurate guns, single shot, bolt action. Nothing like a real "Benji.":D

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Amost forgot this thing. Maybe I should have. Yeah, it's a late model Marksman in .177/BB cal. I got it a year ago and I was really disappointed. I had several of thiese when I was a kid. They were the good metal ones like SHOOTER has in his pics. Tose guns wer all metal and worked for years, even witht he abuse that I put them through. This gun has plastic in it that didn't last after the first time I dropped it. Cracked at the joint where the barrel tips up to load. It also has a FUGLY barrel extension/fake muzzle brake sticking out of the front. Suppose to give more velocity,b ut I doubt it compared to the older ones. Rather than buy another POS like it again, I just load it with BBs and put tape around it to keep the front end from falling off when I shoot it. Barrel is suppose to tip up to load magagzine. In this case the barrel falls off to load and then ya tape it back on again. Can't his much with it either. The old guns I had didn't have much velocity, but would put a sparrow down at very close rande, like 5 feet if ya snuck up on them. This gun won't even dent a can. Most of the time, I can't even hit my BBQ pit with it.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Top is Hatsan 86 Sniper model .177 cal 1000 fps/lead
Bottom is Ruger Air Magnum .22 cal 1000 fps/lead
Pistol is Ruger MarkI .177 cal-600 fps/lead

Al fps depends on weight and style of pellets.

Jim

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jim's loaded for bear...!!

I'm still looking for a quality air pistol...but it has to be over 700 fps...so, probably another break barrel springer.

The vintage Crosman CO2 and Marksman I was gifted don't have enough power to dispatch the critters humanely.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
That Ruger MarkI pistol is truly 600 fps, with chrony. With 7.3 gr lead pellets.

It is a break barrel springer, and is very accurate out 10 yards.
For the price, good pistol.

Buuuut, it had a very lousy ,terrible trigger. I spent several hours polishing, filing , grinding etc etc.
Now it has a really short pull , light trigger; and that brought accuracy in line.:)

PV, that Ruger Magnum is very powerful, VERY hard to cock, scarey accurate at 40 yards and under, (2-3" groups at 50 yards, but it will fire 18 gr .22 cal pellets, dome type at 1000fps, thru the chrony.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Hey SHOOTER,

Got this original, pot metal Marksman .177 air pistol off my gunshow buddy last weekend. It is unfired, but no box. It is one of the old pot metal ones like I had when I was a kid. Didn't get a box with it. It's like the one you aquired. It is also much better than the one I bought a year ago. Only dropped thawt one once and the [email protected] plastic broke. It's in my previous post.

He was going to take it to the show and sell it. However he owed me for half the table cost, so i got it and settled for a free lunch. I know he has one more, but wants it for his grandson. He didn't even know how to use it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love pellet rifles, grew up in Texas with the Sheridan 20 cal and killed many rabbits and tree rats with it. Now I have the beeman R-1 in 20 caliber. Picked up at a local gun store for 100.00! Still chasing tree rats and just love it! With 22lrs out of stock these are a great alternative! Keep on breaking the barrel and squeeze the trigger!

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
I love pellet rifles, grew up in Texas with the Sheridan 20 cal and killed many rabbits and tree rats with it. Now I have the beeman R-1 in 20 caliber. Picked up at a local gun store for 100.00! Still chasing tree rats and just love it! With 22lrs out of stock these are a great alternative! Keep on breaking the barrel and squeeze the trigger!
Always wanted a Sheridan when I was a kid. I had a Crossman CO2 powered .22 cal rifle and a Crossman .22 cal. pump rifle back then. Never did get the Sheridan, but eventually got a Benjamin pump .22 cal. rifle. It was much better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts