Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...well almost. Found a Stainless Super Blackhawk 44 magnum at the LGS today. $605 out the door. Figured it was a good price. I was short $175 so I put it on layaway. It's clean, what gave it away as used was that the front sight had been painted. Saved me the trouble. It's this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I will waiting to hear your range report and your likes or dislikes of the gun and the 44 round. I am really liking the 44 spl round. I don't think I would like the recoil of the magnum though. Shooting 44 spl will be like shooting 22lr from that big boy.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Nice, and a good deal I suspect.

Buster, I don't have an SBH, but I've found that wearing a shooting glove when exercising my Virginian Dragoon increases my comfort significantly.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Congrats on the new Ruger,

That's a beauty ,

and "oh yeah" big boom.:D

Jim

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Nice Single action, I used to use a brace of Virginia dragoons in 44 mag in the Cowboy Shoot. Great guns.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Nice Single action, I used to use a brace of Virginia dragoons in 44 mag in the Cowboy Shoot. Great guns.:cool:
That outfit built a lot of clinkers, but the good ones were/are very good - and purty too. No hammer block, so a three-click hammer and not to be carried with a live round under it. light trigger pull, and really glassy. You need to be paying attention. I've owned mine for 40 years and it's still growing on me.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Congrats,would love to see it once it in your possession.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Greg,

That is one fine pistol and you should be plumb proud of being the new owner. Please post your range reports and let us know how it feels and how the accuracy is. To be truthful, I don't know if I could handle a big caliber anymore. I remember when I had my Super Redhawk and shot .44 magnums. That was a handful!!! Don't think I would try one now. I will stick to my .45ACP's. For the time being, I can handle them adequately. Again, congrats on the new acquisition.

Tommy

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I've been wanting one of those for a long time. Be a great woods gun.......

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will waiting to hear your range report and your likes or dislikes of the gun and the 44 round. I am really liking the 44 spl round. I don't think I would like the recoil of the magnum though. Shooting 44 spl will be like shooting 22lr from that big boy.
I will reload for it. Probably two levels. I have a bit of IMR 4227 I use to push 260 grain jacketed out of my 45 Colt. It's a warm load. I will use the same powder pushing a 240 grain jacketed out of the 44 Magnum. According to the Lyman manual, I can get another 100 fps over the Colt round with this combination.

My brother said buying the 44 Magnum is the best thing I have done. He said he was just waiting for me to blow myself up with my 45 Colt loads. Actually the loads are quite safe out of my single shot, but they would not be too healthy for a Colt Peacemaker or Colt clone.

The other load will be a cast plinking load at around 900 fps. Hopefully I can find one that will not carbon up my cases too bad. I have been looking and the fast pistol powders like Unique and 231. They don't seem to have too much promise, plus they will leave lot of room in the case. I like my loads to be near 100% density. 335 appears to be a promising powder. I need to look into it a lot more though.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I'm a fan of H110 in the 44 Magnum. A warm load fills the case enough to let it burn clean. VV N-110 performs well too, but it's expensive. For plinking with lead, Trail Boss is popular. I haven't bought any.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a fan of H110 in the 44 Magnum. A warm load fills the case enough to let it burn clean. VV N-110 performs well too, but it's expensive. For plinking with lead, Trail Boss is popular. I haven't bought any.
110/296 look to be the most popular powders in 44 Magnum. I just have a lot of IMR4227. As noted it is my go to powder for hot 45 Colt loads. I have some 296, but less than a pound of it. I used it for 300 BLK, but quit using it when LilGun became available again. I have a bit of it stocked up too.

My go to powders for my Heratige Rough Rider 45 Colt was Unique, 5744, and Trail Boss. (I say "was" because I sold the Rough Rider to fund the Ruger last night. Took it to a shop that does consignment sales and it never got into the display case, was sold immediately!). I'm thinking those powders will not generate enough pressure to seal the 44 Magnum cases in the chamber. Those 44 magnum cases are stout! Much more so than the 45 Colt.

44 magnum reloading is new to me. Over 40 years experience reloading and I have never reloaded for 44 magnum. Sure, I can draw on experience but really appreciate any advice from those of you out there who have loaded for it. Thanks in advance.

An example, I figured I would need some Large Pistol Magnum primers, but most of the data I read about last night called for standard large pistol primers. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
There is a section of reloading humanity that says magnum primers burn H110 better. That section seems to be laboring under a misapprehension regarding what SOP has become in the manufacture of magnum primers. My exploration of the data available tells me that the primary concern of manufacturers is that magnum powder charges may perforate standard primers, resulting in blow-back. So they make the walls of magnum primers stronger - but do not make the primer charge stronger. The only exception to this practice has been CCI; they make both the walls and the charge stronger in their magnum primers.

Some reloading manuals call for magnum primers for pistol cartridges and H110 powder, but usually do not specify CCI primers. I won't speculate on the reasons behind their specs. I do know that I don't use magnum primers behind H110, and haven't had any problems with powder residue - as long as the case is at least 90% full. No blow-backs either.

OK Greg; more info, and more controversial info than you had in mind, I'm sure.

:D

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Good Choice Greg...

I also own one...but mine has a 7.5 inch barrel...bought it used for a song & a dance @ $350...because the original owner said he hardly shot it, needed room in his safe, and was tired of moving it out of the way.

It's from 1982 and the price was about what he paid for it brand new. I wanted it to hunt with...deer, hogs, etc. Gonna scope it too.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Hank Williams Jr was recommending 700X for use in the 45 Colt. I have tried it and like it, but I haven't been loading extremely hot 45 Colt loads. 8 grains under a 255 lead bullet is listed as a max Ruger only load at 1127 fps. I have been using 5 grains under a 255 grain bullet for 855fps which can be used in any 45 Colt.:D

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
That's one fine looking piece you got there. That barrel length will make it easy to pack. Congrats!

Don't overlook 2400 for .44 Mag loads. I used to use it with 240 gr jacketed bullets.
You can back off some from the maximum charge and still have very good accuracy with a little less recoil than 296 will have.
I didn't like it in the .357 so I just used 296 for both .357 and .44 loads. (One less can to store).
Best I can remember magnum primers were Not recommended for 2400.

BTW, I sold my .44 mag, dies and all... but I kept a pic.

Attachments

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
The other load will be a cast plinking load at around 900 fps. Hopefully I can find one that will not carbon up my cases too bad. I have been looking and the fast pistol powders like Unique and 231. They don't seem to have too much promise, plus they will leave lot of room in the case. I like my loads to be near 100% density. 335 appears to be a promising powder. I need to look into it a lot more though.
Well I didn't use a cast bullet but I found that a slightly reduced charge of Unique and a 200 gr JHP would shoot to the same POI/POA as a 240 gr JHP and 296 @ 50 yd from my 7.5" barrel.
Never got around to trying a 200 gr cast... It might (?) do the same. :dunno:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I didn't use a cast bullet but I found that a slightly reduced charge of Unique and a 200 gr JHP would shoot to the same POI/POA as a 240 gr JHP and 296 @ 50 yd from my 7.5" barrel.
Never got around to trying a 200 gr cast... It might (?) do the same. :dunno:
I have a bit of Unique. It's one of my staple powders. I use it in all my handguns, shotguns, and for reduced loads in rifle. Very versatile powder. I have found loads for the 44 mag using Unique, but am also reading that they often don't produce enough pressure to seal the 44 magunm case in the chamber. They are obviously safe loads or they would not be listed in the loading manuals, but sooty cases bother me.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's one fine looking piece you got there. That barrel length will make it easy to pack. Congrats!

Don't overlook 2400 for .44 Mag loads.
I keep seeing 22/2400/250 Keith in my readings. That must be a classic 44 mag load????

Another powder I keep finding in reference to the 900 fps plinking load im looking for is H335.

I have only owned 2 firearms chambered for any type of magnum in my life. A S&W M28 357 Magnum and a Ruger semi automatic carbine in 44 Magnum. I never reloaded for either of them. Matter of fact the M28 is what turned me away from magnums.

Just a couple of minutes past legal shooting light, opening day of deer season on the first day that it was legal to use a handgun for hunting in my state, I fired the M28 at a deer. Young, dumb and no hearing protection. From my stand that was effectively enclosed by brush. I could not see nor hear after the shot, the blast and flash was so bad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts