Added 2 more to the arsenal

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Oct 9, 2017.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Maybe yall remember that I was looking at a little Rossi .357 mag rifle a couple months ago,

Well I went shopping at a local pawn shop, with my friend from Fl the other day , and it was still there,
    I gave in, and grabbed it out of his hands...

Yeah , I paid the $199 with the hunting sling and a decent Bushnell scope.

Where can you get ANY gun that shoots .357 magnum for 2 bills...

Took it home and sigted it in at 50 yards...I'm happy
    It wil spin 3" steel plate over the bar 2 times,
    It's got power,
    and never did jam.

rossi.jpg
    rossi3.jpg
    rossi4.jpg

Also I been on the search for a fully marked K98 Mauser for a long time.

So we were out with the ladies doing some flea market hopping , and we walked into "Treasures and Trends"... Not a man thing .

BUT... in the back was a small gun shop, sorta. nicest guy sitting back there.

I could not believe he had a non-scrubbed , still fully marked K98.
    He wanted $550, which was a good price for that one.
    Being the titewad I am, I offered $450....he only took it, if my friend bought a Chinese Mosin, He did and I did.

He gave me 2 boxes of ammo with it, and I bought the rest he had , 180 rnds for $50.
    took it home, was shooting 2" plates at 50 yards every shot , with the open sights and my lousy eyes.

I'm happy,

k983.jpg
    k985.jpg
    k987.jpg
    k986.jpg

Jim

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Unreal the guns you find. Glad you got what you wanted and somehow they turned up right in front of you where you would not even have thought to look. I don't believe in coincidences.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I know how you feel, I was in the local Pawn Shop and he was showing me a used Rock Island 10 mm for $500. As I turned to go I spotted a Colt 1917 45acp revolver for $550. The barrel was pristine and it is now on layaway.:D

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Is the Rossi a single shot rifle?

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Nice Jim! Wish I could find deals that like.....

6. zippo9

zippo9 Member

If only that Mauser could talk....there would be some stories.

7. phideaux

Yes it is.

Fun to shoot,
    Extracts fired round only, does not eject.

Jim

8. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

It might actually be legal in California if you register it and have a bazillion licenses.

9. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Just wow...Jim you are the Master!

I'm on the lookout for a used 44 Mag or maybe 45LC lever gun now. Lever guns have been approved for hunting deer in Iowa now, IF they fire straight walled cartridges only. (This means no high power bottlenecked rounds, and no 30-30. 45-70, 444 Marlin, and the like are all good.) What do you all think, what is a reasonable price for a Marlin, or a Rossi, in decent shape? What I'm seeing around here is all over the place...

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Awesome score(s) Jim...

Been looking for a 'marked' K98k Mauser at gun shows....well, that and an SMLE (Short Magazine Lee-Enfield) Mark I...also from WWII.

But...I do have this:

M1 Garand circa November 1944

[​IMG]

11. phideaux

Proper price for good condition Marlin 336 , 30-30 ....$300-$350

A Marlin LA 45-70 ...no more than $500.

A Marlin 444 LA, $500-$600.

Rossi's run $50-$100 less.

Rossi can be slicked up to operate as smooth as any.

Uberti also makes some nice LA rifles .(too nice for the woods)

All prices are , of course in my necka da woods.

Jim

12. buster40c

I have my Marlin 336 JM on armslist for $400. I will not take any less for it. I have had a couple interests that I didn't go for. If it sells it sells, if it doesn't then so what.

13. phideaux

I've seen a few go for $400, but they were same as new.

Not a mark on them.

Jim

14. spikedriver

All the guns I'm seeing used around here seem to be 30-30s, which are no bueno in Iowa, so that's my problem. Hard to find 44 mag used but the LGS says new Marlin 44s are flying off their shelves...

15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

As Jim suggested, the Rossi's are decent after some tuning, and you have a fair chance of getting one off the rack that will feed. As I'm sure you know, .357 Mag out of a rifle is adequate for deer to out beyond 100 yards. 158gr. XTP works according to reports. I'm sure 180gr. works too, but maybe closer in.

16. phideaux

I would not hesitate to deer hunt with this Rossi .357.
    I would probably not try a shot over 100 yards, but I'm sure it would kill beyond that.

With 158 gr bullet reloads, I was spinning a 4" plate over the bar twice...

It surprised me the power it has.

I'm thinking , how it might compare to a 30 carbine round .

Jim

17. spikedriver

^^^ 100 yards would be the limit for sure, for me anyway. I'd like to try this out with a Williams or so other kind of aperture rear sight. But I'm afraid the ol' eyes may require a scope now...(The eye doc just informed me that I need bifocals. I already knew that but I didn't want to admit it.) Anyway, to me a scope kind of ruins the lines of a lever gun.
    As for 357, I'm sure it works but I'd really rather have a little extra punch. So for me, 44 mag it is. Unless I can find one of those sweet Phideaux deals on a 45-70!

BTW, the LGS has a deal on the Marlin 44 mag gun...$689 for the gun with a Nikon 3x9 with mounts and rings. Maybe I oughta just do that...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  18. phideaux

19. buster40c

Why is a 30-30 a no no for deer where you live?

20. spikedriver

^^^ In Iowa, the cartridge case can not be of a bottleneck design, which the 30-30 is. Cartridges must have a straight wall design with no shoulder. What this basically means is, 357 mag is good, 357 Sig is not. 44 mag, 444 Marlin, 454 casull, 450 Bushmaster, and even 45-70 are considered ok. These were all ok in pistols before if it had less than a 15 inch barrel, like a Contender or a Redhawk. Just this year we are allowed to use rifles chambered for these cartridges.