Accurate Arms reloading data

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Oldhand, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Be careful using the load data off the AA website. Under 45 acp they list 230 lead min 7.7 at 852fps to 8.5 at 968fps they list this for round ball lead but it is the only 230 grain lead listing.
    I loaded 230 grain lead bullets at 7.8 figuring a light load. It wasn't. When I got home I checked their +P data 230 HDY XTP 7.7 at 868fps to 8.1 at 909fps. So what I thought would be a light load was +P. Accurate but not comfortable in a Colt Commander. :mad:

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

[Are you looking at the Western Powders website? that's the current one for Accurate powders.] The discrepancy may relate to round ball having much less contact with the bore, so less resistance to movement in it - and so less pressure buildup than your bullet causes. Just guessing, but it's late in my day for deep thinking. Good night, Handy.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017

3. Oldhand

Hadn't heard of Western Powders website. Silly me going to AAs.:rolleyes:

4. Oldhand

I have three loading manuals, they don't want to list 230 lead all have 200. Makes it a guessing game.

5. noylj

noylj Member

What powder?
    Closest I can find at http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web-1.pdf
    is under
    AA5: 230gn L-SWC 7.8gn start (902fps) and 8.7gn MAX (1025fps)
    This is the reason I check several sources and start at the lowest start load.
    My data compilation for AA5 shows one manual listing 7.0gn as MAX and another 7.7gn start (852fps) and 8.5gn MAX (968fps) for lead bullets (the latter being the one you used?), so I would have started at 6.3, 6.6, 6.9, 7.1, 7.4, 7.7gn and 7.9gn.

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I used some of that powder Handy and if I remember right I was shooting 230 grn. Berry plated and at the time, which has been a while ago, the only load they had was 8.1grns. of powder max. SO, I went down 10% and fired some of those rounds. They had a flame come out the end of my .45 and a lot of smoke plus recoil. Then I took it down to 6.7 grns. and found that to be even a little overboard. I had a 4lbs. can of the powder and loaded about 200 rounds with different loads. Remember I just use the Handy Dandy rotors which I believe you use also. I did NOT llke the loads I was getting. I gave the powder to my little brother and his buddy and told them to be real careful when using this powder. They do a lot of .357, .40 and .45. I told them I would start out with a 15% reduction in max load and go from there. I was truly disappointed in this powder and will not ever use it again.

Tommy

7. Oldhand

All loads quoted are correct, just make my Commander jump like a scalded dog. The fact the same loading is listed in the + P for 230 XTP is what bothers me. noylj Accurate Arms #5. Switched to 4.5 grains of 700X and feels like Gold Dot carry, no jumping around milder recoil.:dunno:

8. Oldhand

Almost forgot, AA5 works fine in all my 9mm handguns. So guess I will just use it there.;)

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

:headscratch: Back last spring there was a notice on the Accurate website about AA no. 5 and some of the loads given in manuals. Seems like it said there were reports of some erratic results in 45 auto loads - but don't trust my memory on that. Dunno if it's still there.

I just loaded up some 45 auto 200gr coated LRN with 8.3gr of Silhouette, which is .4gr under max in two manuals and .1gr under in another. Hope to test shoot some of them Monday. Feel free to wish me luck.

10. Oldhand

Good luck, try to shoot with someone not alone.;)