Accidental accuracy!

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by conservative, Jul 15, 2017.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

Went to the range! You've heard about people who can't hold their liquor? Well I didn't want to be that guy who couldn't handle his firearm and the gun goes flying out of his hands. So my buddy and I got a two person package gun rental included. So I figured I would just rent one of their guns and let them deal with the damage rather than mart my gun . Shot Ruger sp101 38spcl 130 grain. The gun had iron sight so any accuracy I achieved was purely by accident because I couldn't adjust them to compensate . Lol! But I had fun regardless of my frequent miss rate. Got scared a bit when my fellow novice buddy pointed his loaded gun at me cause he was talking instead of looking where he was pointing.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Your buddy needed to be slapped upside the head - as soon as he set the gun down.

Carl Crosby likes this.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have seen signs..........you point a gun at me and you could very well get shot. That ain't no water pistol in your hand. Bullets don't wipe off with a towel.

4. conservative

conservative New Member

Yeah, he keeps reminding me about my lack of accuracy. I tell him, "well at leasable I didn't point A loaded gun at my friend!" That shuts him up relatively well. Lol!

Carl Crosby likes this.
  5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Used to see this most frequently when guys would take the girlfriend to shoot for the first time. They hit the target then turn around with a big smile and the gun pointing at the boyfriend. Funny watching the boyfriends dive for cover.;)

6. conservative

conservative New Member

Right ! Seen a couple YouTube videos along that line. Some of those same videos featured the girlfriend losing control of the firearm with their first shot. Hilarious stuff as long as no one gets hurt.

7. allenr

allenr Member

There would be no way I would ever go to a range with him again. In fact I would not let him in my house while he was carrying. In my mind there is nor excuse whatsoever for failing to exercise proper gun safety.

Carl Crosby likes this.
  8. conservative

conservative New Member

Yeah I always tried to point my muzzle at the ground since I had no holster to put it in. And whenever I would walk away from it, I would verify it was unloaded and leave the cylinder open. Apparently , my buddy isn't as educated on gun safety matters as I had assumed .

9. gumpy

gumpy New Member

You're both asking for trouble if you don't educate him!

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

He needs to take a safety course on the proper usage of firearms! Go with him if you have to.

Tommy

Carl Crosby likes this.
  11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

12. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

+1 on this!

13. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Perhaps its time to find a new shooting buddy!

14. conservative

conservative New Member

Well I'll be moving next month so I'll have a new buddy once I move. But until then , he's the only shooting buddy I have . Next time though I'll review the safety rules with him. Like I said , I thought he knew them and he obviously did not. . And chances are we may not be able to go again before I move. Which I fine by me. Cause it kind of scared me. I have to say in all honesty , I'm not 100% sure the gun was loaded. I don't remember, but either way one should never point a weapon at something they don't intend to shoot. The whole time we were shooting I was trying to keep safety in mind and not endanger anyone. It's just sad he couldn't do the same.

15. conservative

conservative New Member

So I have now moved to Ohio. I have some friends here who are in to shooting and last Saturday I went with one of them to an outdoor range. The range was nothing fancy, but it was free, so I can't complain. I took my lcrx and shot Federal 130 grain and Remington 158 grain. Once again, my accuracy was accidental because I still flinch. Also, I played with the sights so that may have played a part as well. I told my friend that I was glad that at least I could hit the broad side of a barn, but it depends on ho broad said barn side is. Lol! He was kind of kidding me about my poor accuracy and lack of grouping, I told him that I killed the guy anyway so that's what matters. I know I know Conservative is morbid. Lol! Most enjoyable part of the day was coming home and spending a while cleaning my gun so it looks brand new. One thing I noticed is how my friend slammed his SW Airweight cylinder in place. Made me wince every time . I always close the cylinder using the crane arm so that the cylinder can turn naturally as it closes. Once question I do have Is why there are dings in the Finnish behind the cylinder? Would it be from ammo, or improper handling?

16. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Keep closing your revolver how you're doing it. Or you can re-aquire your firing grip, then use your left thumb to close the cylinder in a controlled manner. I was always taught that flipping or slamming the cylinder shut can mess up the gun.
    As for your buddy being careless, if I was you I'd just follow my instincts in a situation like that. Some people need to be reminded about safety if they are inexperienced. I wouldn't shun somebody like that, but I'd be very watchful though and not afraid to walk away. One tip: stay to the right side, and behind, a novice shooter (if they are right handed.) A right handed shooter has to turn their whole body to cover you that way instead of just pivoting their elbow. The reverse is true for a lefty. And tell him you won't tolerate having a gun pointed your way again even if it's an accident. Treat it as a chance to teach him, because obviously no one else has. And, if he's still careless, tell him you won't shoot with him until he gets it right.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  17. conservative

conservative New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1506630655.399383.jpg
    So in the picture you may be able to see the scrape where the black finish is missing.

18. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Possibly the head of the cases could rub on that spot. Or a bit of dirt or unburned powder coulda been stuck there and then made a mark when you closed the cylinder.

But don't worry about it. The gun is fine

19. conservative

conservative New Member

So is this preventable say by using a better gun oil/lube , or is it natural and unavoidable? Thanks!

20. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

If you keep the affected area free of debris, that's about all you can do.