"Accessorizing" my RUGER 57

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Litehiker, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

As with my 5.7 x 28 FN PS90 sub gun/carbine I have begun to "accessorize" my new RUGER 57 which shoots the same .22 caliber centerfire ammo.

-> Kydex OWB holster that will accept the 57 with a red dot sight
    -> The Vest Guy custom double mag pouches with MOLLE straps on the back and plastic QR buckle pouch closures. Like my PS90 The Vest guy double mag pouches the "57" double mag pouches are very well made.(in USA)
    -> extra 20 round mag for a total of 3 mags

Still looking for the best red dot for this pistol. Something with optional green reticle would be nice. Maybe Holosun - IF they fit a RUGER adaptor plate.

Lessee, 250 rounds of 5.7 x 28 ammo for the 5 PS 90 magazines and 60 rounds of the same in three RUGER 57 mags. 310 rounds... Zombies will not stand a chance. Nor will my wallet! That 5.7 x 28 ammo is pricier per round than 9mm ammo. :eek:(

UPDATE: After looking and LOOKING I have settled on the Holosun HE 508T-RD X2 as having all the bells and whistles I like such as 2 MOA dot, 32 MOA circle and the dot within the circle. Plus it has a solar screen to augment the battery.
    NOW I need the proper base plate to mount it on my RUGER 57. Looks like I'll have to have it custom made. Its the same base plate as a Trijicon RMR.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  2. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Too bad you can't get a steel frame!

3. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

Paul, Do you mean a steel frame red dot? The Holosun I want has a titanium frame, thus the expense. As strong as steel and 1/2 the weight.

Eric B.

4. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

No, I meant a steel framed 57!

5. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

Hmmm... I'd be OK with a high strength aluminum frame. Steel is just old school heavy, good but heavy.
    I'm 77 and have to hump that pistol along with my backpacking gear.

6. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

I'm in my 60's and I carry a full sized steel 1911.

7. Litehiker

Litehiker Member

Paul, do you also carry 30 pounds of backpacking gear wet you carry your 1911?
    I wish I was in my 60s when hiking the Grand Canyon was a "walk in the park", pun intended.
    At 74, on my last rim-to-rim 4 day backpack, I worked my ass off. It had been 8 years since that last backpack and I realized that once we're in our 70s physical ability deteriorates much more rapidly, even with regular fitness exercise and training hikes with a 30 lb. pack.
    Eric B.