Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As with my 5.7 x 28 FN PS90 sub gun/carbine I have begun to "accessorize" my new RUGER 57 which shoots the same .22 caliber centerfire ammo.

-> Kydex OWB holster that will accept the 57 with a red dot sight
-> The Vest Guy custom double mag pouches with MOLLE straps on the back and plastic QR buckle pouch closures. Like my PS90 The Vest guy double mag pouches the "57" double mag pouches are very well made.(in USA)
-> extra 20 round mag for a total of 3 mags

Still looking for the best red dot for this pistol. Something with optional green reticle would be nice. Maybe Holosun - IF they fit a RUGER adaptor plate.

Lessee, 250 rounds of 5.7 x 28 ammo for the 5 PS 90 magazines and 60 rounds of the same in three RUGER 57 mags. 310 rounds... Zombies will not stand a chance. Nor will my wallet! That 5.7 x 28 ammo is pricier per round than 9mm ammo. :eek:(

UPDATE: After looking and LOOKING I have settled on the Holosun HE 508T-RD X2 as having all the bells and whistles I like such as 2 MOA dot, 32 MOA circle and the dot within the circle. Plus it has a solar screen to augment the battery.
NOW I need the proper base plate to mount it on my RUGER 57. Looks like I'll have to have it custom made. Its the same base plate as a Trijicon RMR.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul, Do you mean a steel frame red dot? The Holosun I want has a titanium frame, thus the expense. As strong as steel and 1/2 the weight.

Eric B.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... I'd be OK with a high strength aluminum frame. Steel is just old school heavy, good but heavy.
I'm 77 and have to hump that pistol along with my backpacking gear.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul, do you also carry 30 pounds of backpacking gear wet you carry your 1911?
I wish I was in my 60s when hiking the Grand Canyon was a "walk in the park", pun intended.
At 74, on my last rim-to-rim 4 day backpack, I worked my ass off. It had been 8 years since that last backpack and I realized that once we're in our 70s physical ability deteriorates much more rapidly, even with regular fitness exercise and training hikes with a 30 lb. pack.
Eric B.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:
I've decided to get a slightly better sight than the HOLOSUN 508T.
I ordered a HOLOSUN 509T-RD which is their new fully enclosed red "circle dot" with solar panel backup, "shake awake" and titanium housing. Very similar to the AMPOINT ACRO fully enclosed sight but with more features for less money.

BUT... I'm finding it difficult to find a mounting plate for this sight! HELP!

·
Banned
405 Posts
At first, and for a few years after receiving my CCW license, I carried my full size 70 Series Colt 1911 .45 auto pistol in a shoulder holster rig with two spare magazines fully loaded.
Even after a full day of carrying, wearing no backpack or "prejudiced monkey", that rig got to be heavy. I like my Glock rig much better:

·
Registered
432 Posts
UPDATE:
I've decided to get a slightly better sight than the HOLOSUN 508T.
I was told the HOLOSUN 509T mounts to Picatinny Rail like on an AR -15 ????? never seen a pistol OSP Plate for one ???

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well BRR, it's much more like a Weaver rail with only one shallow groove across it to mate with the shallow recoil lug on the underside of the 509T sight. But the "57" does have a Pic rail on the frame under the barrel for a laser or other light.

Because the sight is a cube (fully enclosed) it requires a side-tightened mount as on a Weaver type plate. "Fully Enclosed" means that, unlike other red dot sights, no debris, snow, etc can obstruct the light that makes the reticle. BTW, the "T" in the 509T means titanium, the metal used for the body of the sight.

I will take the plate that came with the sight to my gunsmith so he can drill and countersink the two mounting holes to match my pistol's pre-tapped holes. I've already Dremeled off about 3/8 of the length go the plate because it was unnecessary and it cut the weight. That 5.7 x 28 cartridge has far less recoil than the average 9 mm round so adding too much weight to the slide may keep it from fully cycling.
Eric B.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It would be really nice if Ruger would move forward with the times and start selling pistols that are factory cut for MRDS's with a multiple plate system for different optics. Their current plate system for the 57 was clearly an afterthought to the gun.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well BRR, it's much more like a Weaver rail with only one shallow groove across it to mate with the shallow recoil lug on the underside of the 509T sight. But the "57" does have a Pic rail on the frame under the barrel for a laser or other light.

Because the sight is a cube (fully enclosed) it requires a side-tightened mount as on a Weaver type plate. "Fully Enclosed" means that, unlike other red dot sights, no debris, snow, etc can obstruct the light that makes the reticle. BTW, the "T" in the 509T means titanium, the metal used for the body of the sight.

I will take the plate that came with the sight to my gunsmith so he can drill and countersink the two mounting holes to match my pistol's pre-tapped holes. I've already Dremeled off about 3/8 of the length go the plate because it was unnecessary and it cut the weight. That 5.7 x 28 cartridge has far less recoil than the average 9 mm round so adding too much weight to the slide may keep it from fully cycling.
Eric B.
post a pic of the Ruger 57 with that sight mounted on it .

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree entirely. RUGER should have already done this and provides a few more plate options but perhaps the thin top of the "57" slide precluded a cut for red dot sight plates.

As for the RMR plate that came with my HOLOSUN 509T, as I said I cut about 3/8" off the front end and now I'll have my gunsmith mill off about another millimeter from the underside of the plate for further weight reduction and to lower the red dot a bit.

Since my 'smith is off until Jan. 6th I'll drop a bunch of work for him off at his house to avoid the damn "Petri dish" of COVID 19 air at the shop where he works. Some customers like to unmask because they think it makes them appear macho. In reality it makes them dangerously inconsiderate.

·
Banned
405 Posts
I agree entirely. RUGER should have already done this and provides a few more plate options but perhaps the thin top of the "57" slide precluded a cut for red dot sight plates.

As for the RMR plate that came with my HOLOSUN 509T, as I said I cut about 3/8" off the front end and now I'll have my gunsmith mill off about another millimeter from the underside of the plate for further weight reduction and to lower the red dot a bit.

Since my 'smith is off until Jan. 6th I'll drop a bunch of work for him off at his house to avoid the damn "Petri dish" of COVID 19 air at the shop where he works. Some customers like to unmask because they think it makes them appear macho. In reality it makes them dangerously inconsiderate.
Really? How much weight do you anticipate that's gonna save?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dunno about weight savings in oz. but any will help with the low-reoiling RUGER 57.
Mainly I want it lower. I've seen fairly thin steel plates.
I wish the plate was made of tempered aluminum in the 700 series.

·
Banned
405 Posts
I dunno about weight savings in oz. but any will help with the low-reoiling RUGER 57.
Mainly I want it lower. I've seen fairly thin steel plates.
I wish the plate was made of tempered aluminum in the 700 series.
Low re-oiling, eh? Great example of an "alleged teacher". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SGW, You have an "anger management problem". I recommend meditation, long training hikes, maybe even converting to Buddhism. :eek:)
(Sorry for the typo of "recoiling". Didn't mean for you to get your tighty whities in a bunch.)

·
Banned
405 Posts
Nope, no problem with that. I just thought that an allegedly educated person should understand how to recognize "spell-check" when it slapped you in your face. But, like someone once said, "50% of all teachers graduated in the lower half of their class". So, I just figured you were in that group. Socio-Communists like yourself just make me wanna..........
that's all. Have you considered rehab for your "Trump Derangement Syndrome"

Don't forget your compass when you walk amongst the snakes out in the desert, even though they'll recognize you as "one of them". BTW, did you ever have a REAL job?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Again "SGW", please enter an anger management program. Those around you will thank you for it.
->I put myself through college. 1st of my family to get a college degree.
->I was a US Dep't. of State Peace Corps Volunteer, Philippines '66 - '67
->I've worked most summers: can factory, scything gas line right of ways, box factory, gas station, roofing, professional trail builder for Pacific Crest Trail, Snow Creek section 1980, US Army ROTC winter survival instructor (inserted with Chinooks), 1980 Lake Placid Winter Olympics Nordic Ski Patroller, 6 year alpine ski patroller @ Lee Canyon Resort, near Las Vegas.
->completed 2 day, 100 mile 1983 Canadian Ski Marathon W/ a buddy from Toronto and got the bronze Courier du Bois medal.
->Plus I've backpacked and backpack hunted more miles that you likely ever will.

So get down off your "More Patriotic, more manly than thou" pedestal. At 77 I STILL can likely hike you into the ground.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts