A Weatherby 25-06 now in my meager collection

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MagBlackhawk, May 13, 2016.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

So I did it, bought a Weatherby Synthetic Series Two in 25-06. :)

The Weatherby manual says nothing about breaking in the new barrel. On the Weatherby web site they give instructions on how it should be done.
    Takes 40 rounds total.
    I've always heard it's not necessary with a standard hunting rifle but I'm going to do it anyway.
    So far I've had time to fire & clean (after each shot) ten rounds. All I can say about it at this point is the trigger is GREAT and the rifle fits me perfectly!

A Range Report will be a while as I have way toooo many irons in the fire right now to do any time consuming range sessions.

Last year the Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36 I bought 35 years ago conked out.
    Leupold informed me it had a lifetime warranty so they replaced it with a New VX 3.
    And they let me upgrade to a Boone & Crockett reticle for a nominal fee.
    Mighty nice of them! :D

So now I have a new rifle and scope with no time to shoot it.
    I'm VERY anxious to shoot it out to 400 - 500 yd so I can check out the Boone & Crockett hold over marks.
    I've never bought a new gun that I didn't thoroughly check out straight away..... It's eating at me, big time.

2. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new rifle. Good caliber, flat shooting. Got a really good setup on the scope too. And yeah, we will be waiting for pics and range report........ at some time.:D

I was hung up on the .25-06 for a while. I had a Browning A-Bolt & Rem 700 BDL that I liked alot. However, I never got to reloading for them. I did not use them as much as the .243s and had more versitility with the .270 using handloads. I could load it with 100 gr. to 130 gr. bullets and get similar performance as the .25-06s. The B.C. wasn't as good, but I never fired them as far as your expect to fire yours.

Now I hardly use the .270s either. The .243s get it done for me without all the extra blast of the .270s. Almost traded one of my .270s for a .25-06 recently. Still might do it as the trade is open. Got too many .270s right now.

Last edited: May 13, 2016

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the new rifle,

I know its time consuming, but, I'm a firm believer in barrel break in.

I just cant see any down side to it.

Weatherby is an excellent rifle, high quality .

Enjoy , and show us what it will do.

Jim

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I'm glad to see you sprung for the Weatherby. Hated to think of gun&caliber deprivation wearing you down. Get the branding done (those 'irons in the fire'), carefully break in the gun, then shoot the snot out of it.

:cool:

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Mag,
    First off, excellent choice of caliber! The .25/06 is a great cartridge. Second, great choice of rifle! Take care of it, and it the be around for a looong time. Oh, yeah, you also have a Leupold on it. Perfect setup!

Great caliber, great rifle, and a great scope. Sounds like a winner to me!

Now take the iron outta the fire and go shoot!

Have fun,
    SG

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  6. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Sounds like a great rig.

I had a Savage once, that I broke in with the "shoot one, clean, shoot two, clean" method. It really did smooth out the barrel. I could tell a big difference after about 10 or 12 rounds, the brush just slid down the bore like it was on ice instead of being able to feel rough, grabby spots. I'm a believer in really breaking them in now. I just hate taking the time to do it.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Well, the wet ground from all the rain we've been getting has put a temporary hold on our home improvements so.....
    I slipped out to the range.
    34 shots fired so far. Never did so much waiting to cool and cleaning at one time in all my born days.
    My last four shots were spot on and 3/4"! :D

And it ain't broke in yet. :)
    And I'm using home made flat sand bags I concocted years ago. :D
    And my scope only goes up to 8 magnification. :) :D
    And I'm shooting Walmart special Fed "Deer Thug" ammo Fed doesn't have cataloged. :eek: :) :D

Weatherby guarantees less than one MOA..... It will do it! :Cooltu:
    This thing is going to shoot better than I can with my cheap set up. (Home spun sand bags).

A buddy offered a loan of his lead sled. I laughed at him and said I like to 'do it myself'.
    I may have to eat my words if I want to see just how accurate this rifle is...... cause I just ain't that good of a shot, I will 'pull' one sometimes.

Pics and range report when time allows.

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I just bought a box of those Federal "Deer Slug" 165 grn for the Encore 300 win mag.

Sounds like they shot well for you.

Hope I get the same results...if it ever quits raining.

Jim

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Awesome score...Congrats man !!

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Not ready for a range report yet, this is what I got so far...

The constant rain is keeping the ground toooo wet for our home improvement ground work so.... off to the range I go. :D

I'm done with the brake-in shooting, 78 shots fired so far. Conditions have been BAD for shooting.
    Wind gusts with rain off and on. Been bringing my 10/22 to plink (at 100 yd) while waiting for the 25 to cool. It's fun to 'dope the wind' with the .22 LR.

I have been able to determine the rifle is zeroed (in between gusts) at 100 yd with Fed 120 gr Fusion ammo. It could (?) be an accurate enough load.
    With Fusions, getting best groups of 1 1/8" most of the time, probably due to the conditions or me or both.....
    I'll admit, I just ain't that good of a shot so there is that. :eek:

But I have learned, this rifle does not like Fed Premium 100 gr Nosler BT ammo.
    This is why......
    Four shots fired, two touching inside the 1" circle I use as an aiming point.
    One at 4:00 o'clock and 3" out, another at 1:00 o'clock and 2.5" out.
    I did fire a couple while braking in and zeroing with similar results. So that's that for that for those.

With Fed Premium 117 gr Sierra SPBT ammo, too early to tell.

Now that I'm familiar with the rifle it's time to start working up my handloads for it.
    Stay tuned.

11. spikedriver

^^^ 117 gr. Hornady over a generous dose of 4831...am I right?

I can't wait to see what happens when you put some DIY rounds down that barrel. I'm really jealous of you right now and I'm wishing I hadn't sold my 25 a few years ago. Nothing reaches out and destroys coyotes better than a .25/06!

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes you are.
    On the last go around I purchased some Hornady 117 gr SST bullets, I still have a good supply left over.

In the past I've used Sierra 117 gr SPBT's and H4831 with great results so I'll be trying that too.
    That and the now discontinued Nosler 100 gr Solid Base Boat Tail's were my two pet loads, both with H4831.
    The Noslers are long gone but I have some of the 117 gr Sierras, also a near full box of 100 gr Sierra boat tails.

I have more IMR4350 on hand than H4831 at this time.
    According to Hodgdon data, I might get a few more FPS out of IMR4350 so I have no shortage of stuff to try.
    Just a shortage of time to do it...... That's a heck of a thing, no time to play with a new toy. :D

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Hello Weatherby Vanguard in 25-06, long time no shoot. (Over two years now). WOW!

Turns out the scope mounts I used were ah, sorry and gave trouble early on.
    Not planing to do any hunting and with very little time to play long range shooter I put the rifle in storage until my lovely wife gave me a set of DNZ scope mounts for Christmas.
    I went to the range, zeroed the rifle at 100 yd... This dog is gonna hunt now.

In this part of the country it only stays cool for a few months out of the year so I try to do my high power, high heat generating rifle shooting this time of the year.
    (I've burned out one 25-06, don't want to over-heat the Vanguard).

Maybe (?) I'll be able to work out some loads, shoot a bunch at 100 thru 500 yd and give a report before the Summer heat sets in. Maybe?
    I'm still WAY short on play time so... I'll let you know how, or if it goes.
    I sure do like this rifle. :D

phideaux, greg_r and Pancho_Villa like this.
  14. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Excellent rifle/cartridge combo!

15. spikedriver

I'm curious for your range report, Mag. The 25-'06 is my favorite rifle cartridge.

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  16. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Muy Bueno compadre!!!! I've been getting kinda slow at getting out and shooting new rifles. Well, they are used, so sometimes all I get to do is check the zero and get them close. Takes a good amount of time to fine tune them. Shooting and waiting for the barrels to cool between shots. Prefer a good cold bore zero on keepers. The ones that will be trades just get a close enough zero.

Good luck with your gun.

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  17. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Here you go spike... A mini report.

After verifying the zero at 100 yd I moved to 300 yd shooting Federal Fusion 120 gr boat tail factory ammo.
    Here are some pics.
    You can see the first two ranging shots that went low when I put the cross hairs directly on target.
    After TWO shots I was able to tell which 'bow tie' (hold over mark) I needed to use for 300 yd.
    Out of the next four shots three hit the mark, or should I say, I only missed one.
    Considering the scope only goes up to 8 X magnification and I'm old, good enough.
    Also, a pic of the one piece scope mount that works.
    Next up, handloads. (It'll probably be a while).
    DSCN2760.JPG DSCN2759.JPG DSCN2761.JPG

phideaux likes this.
  18. spikedriver

I dig it, Mag. That would be 4 shots in the kill zone at 300 yards. That's good enough for me, all day long. And it's pretty dang good shooting, too...

MagBlackhawk likes this.
  19. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I've worked out a load using Sierra 100 gr SPBT's and IMR4350.
    Fired a total of nine test loads at the powder amount I have settled on.
    VERY accurate at 100 yd.
    Time to load a bunch, see what they do at longer ranges and clock them for velocity.
    :D
    Probably won't have good shooting weather till next week...
    25 Cal brass.JPG

20. spikedriver

I had good luck with 52.5 gr. of IMR 4350 under a Hornady 87 Spire point, Federal cases with Rem. 9 1/2 standard primers, if memory serves me right. It was pretty mild but 53.5 gr. opened the group a bit. 52.5 gave .7 to .9 inch groups.
    I only shot factory 100 gr. but Rem. Core Lokt 100 was acceptable, a little less than 1.5 inch group.
    Keep us posted with your results!

MagBlackhawk likes this.