A Selfish Rant about this Site

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Don, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Don

Don Member

I don't know if there is a better place to post this and I certainly invite any administrator to move it to a more appropriate place, or even kill it if you deem it necessary, but let me vent a bit. I have been frequenting various gun realated forums for over 15 years. Some have fallen by the wayside and some have proliferated quite nicely. I like this site a lot and I love Ruger products and those who also enjoy them. It concerns me though that it seems that there is not a lot of activity going on here and it is very disappointing. It is a particular concern of mine that on the vast majority of threads there seems to be an inordinately small number of posts/replies for the large number of views. It is not uncommon to find a category with only a few topics posted which seems odd to me with the vast # of Ruger owners out there, but even worse it is very common to see hundreds, even thousands of views with only 5 or 10 replies. This tells me that there is a lot of interest in and use of this forum but very little participation. Other sites I frequent have lots of new stuff to read every day. Not so here and I don't think it should be this way. So..... I have 2 requests:
    1 - if anyone thinks I'm out of line or expecting too much please give us all your views on the subject..and
    2 - Let me ecourage all of you great Ruger fans who enjoy this site to post more replies, ask more questions, start more threads about your good and bad experiences and favorite guns and not so favorite.
    With all the views I am seeing I believe this should be a much more active, vibrant, informative and fun place to spend some computer time. I don't want this site to go the way of some that I have seen over the years. I know I'm going to try to do a better job in the future.(unless of course the rest of ya'll tell to go away) and I hope maybe some others will too. You all have way more to contribute than you may realize. OK, my venting is done. Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I understand....I have thought some of the same thoughts. You can put up post and pics,... and only get a few replies. But I notice that the silly word game threads always has new post on it.....I would love to see more participation too......

3. Ace43809

Ace43809 The Young Gun

I would love to see more participation here as well. I try to invite people who seem interested but it doesn't seem like many stick around. Anyone have ideas about how we could get members that stay and participate

4. bikeride4fun

Its kind of like what Don was saying....you see a lot of views on the threads but very few replies....so if no one is posting anything....it gets stale and members lose interest.....

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Thank you for sharing your frustrations :)
    Give it time. :) This forum is still pretty new. It takes time to grow. Once it does you won't be able to keep up ;)
    Your support for RugerTalk and desire for growth is appreciated along with your patience.
    Members like you will have this place booming soon :). Hang in there and please continue to tell others about RT.

6. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

I came here because this popped up on Google when I was searching a question about one of my Rugers so I clicked the linked and browsed a few threads and the first thing I noticed was the dates on the threads. Let me say this, I have Tapatalk and I don't know if it is the same format as just going on the computer. Non the less I thought well it sure ain't very active. I'm not saying there isn't good information or good people for that matter on here and I understand this might be a new site but compared to the other (gun) sites I'm a member of it's definitely in need of more participants. I would much rather come here with real people that have/had real Rugers than to read some B.S on tbe Internet. I hope this site does grow with more members and much more activity.

7. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm pushing this site much as I can I'm with the rest of you thou. That's why I come on so much to help keep some activity flowing. This is a new forum and I believe with the new google app and iPhone app coming soon then things will pick up greatly. I never talked on a forum before till I found a app in the App Store and got hooked right away with the folks I met in it.

Please let's all be a little more Patient and see if things start picking up with the new app and coming apps. We are on the ground floor slowly building and hopefully the break Thur is Coming ..

8. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

Maybe you all should have a Ruger talk meet and greet? Put some faces to names? Plus I see other forums have contests to draw interest. Has RT had one yet?

9. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Yes, we have had contests in the past, and they work...somewhat. We are also planning on another give-away shortly, so please stay tuned.

And Don, your comments are appreciated here. There is no need to hide or delete it.

10. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

We do appreciate you comment Don, and as stated we are working on making another contest/giveaway.... we like to do this not only for our current members, but also in attempt to draw some new members who stay and contribute.

This forum is rather new, and the more threads we have that spark interest and keep members returning, the better.

Thanks again, for your comments and concerns, we (the staff) take it very seriously !

11. Don

Don Member

Darn! Have you folks been talking to my wife? Several of you suggested I be "patient". One of the joys of haunting a site like this is that supposedly none of you know me and thus you don't know all about my faults. Looks like someone's been running their mouth, huh?...............LOL
    Hey seriously, thanks for all the replies. I just hope that some of the folks who like to read these posts will also put in their 2cents. It will broaden the range of ideas and expand the discussion or possibly stir new ideas that will prompt a new topic and new threads.
    So I say to all those lurking in the shadows........... speak up. You have much to offer and there are many itching to read about it.

12. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks again Don. Hopefully if the regulars keep sticking around and a few new ones join then we are on the road to building something nice.

13. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Couple thoughts...The OP of a thread will account for a LOT of the views normally as they've check, re-check what responses are. Second, some will look at a thread and not have any response. Not a big deal since it could indicate the folks looking are concerned with post count like many are on other forums. Those folks that see post count as some form of status symbol or an indicator of authority or knowledge.
    Am a member of a couple of smaller volume forums such as this one and find them to often have better info than the huge membership ones.

14. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

It may pick up some as we near hunting season.I've using these hunting and shooting chat boards for quite a few years and it always gets slow in the summer months it seems,because people are doing more outside and taking trips and don't get on the computers as much.I admit most of the sites a I go to are hunting not gun sites but I would think it would be the same for both,maybe not.I go to a few that have fewer members than this one ;).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  15. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

Don't worry, I'll just get a fake noob and start posting those questions everyone is an expert on like,
    What oil is best?
    Does Tul ammo ruin your gun?
    Where's the ammo?
    and my personal favorite, "Trying to find a place to shoot in New Jersey". :cryinglaugh:

16. bikeride4fun

A lot of this is true....I guess I just get confused when someone takes the time to start a thread and post pics of there gun that they are so proud of....and you only see a few replies. It doesn't take that long to post a quick reply....but the silly word game threads seem like they are the only ones with activity....

17. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I know those word games seem silly ,
    but if you play along for a while ,
    It really helps to get to know more about all the guys,
    It really does show how they think on things.
    Some of these guys are crazy,;):D, not at all serious as myself.:rolleyes:;)

Its ALL fun,
    The tech gun stuff, for me is educating ,and fun also.

I think SH is probably right about the summer time,
    I know personnaly I have been very busy lately with harvesting, and outside repairs around the farm.

But, it WILL get busy.

Jim

18. Don

Don Member

Hey Buildit,
    A couple more come to mind like, what's the best gun for plinking and bear hunting that doesn't weigh much, fits in your front pocket and doesn't kick?

Or of course, If you could have only one gun................

19. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

I get most of these sent to my Smart Phone and i seem to have more comments from threads started weeks ago. I see a lot of info, bragging, info and rants at other forums. I simply LOVE MY RUGER SR40C. I see at a defensive system that's perfect for conceal carry (Along with the SR9C) and the addition of the extended magazine (s) for additional firepower, add to its defensive power. Yes I get that Glock 27 will take a larger 15 or 17 round magazine. Too me the difference in price, the ergonomics of the SR series, and the SR trigger, make the SR40c more appealing to me. (Glocks shoot well, but i can't seem to get any consistency, because they do not sit in my hand well). plus at this stage in my life i really like the additional manual safety. I do hope this sight grows. I am sure we have a lot of people with things to say and ask.

20. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

Good ones.;)