Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my lcrx out of the case after cleaning it a month ago and noticed some dirt in the barrel because I think I used too much oil. Then I got scared cause I saw in a video that organic based gun oil/cleaner could cause rust if not used carefully. The last cleaner. Then I went to check my barrel again cause I had used organic based products. Shined a light in it and there was some brownish orange inside on parts of the barrel. So I went and got some synthetic products (birchwood Casey) . Looked it up online and saw a similar picture on another forum where they said it was most likely copper residue from factory firing. Boy was I ever relieved. Here is the picture which is similar to how my barrel looks:
htttp://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd502/njdivertony/IMG_1445.jpg

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
So what is your impression after shooting the gun?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't shot it yet. Waiting for a day off work. Just got put on full time and they are short handed. I'll let you know .

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I follow the advice of those on this foru and used the sweets7.62. the result after one pass with the bore snake was amazing. I ran it twice more for good measure. Planning on going to an indoor range with a friend Friday. Question though is whether I should re oil the gun after using the solvent?

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
So I follow the advice of those on this foru and used the sweets7.62. the result after one pass with the bore snake was amazing. I ran it twice more for good measure. Planning on going to an indoor range with a friend Friday. Question though is whether I should re oil the gun after using the solvent?
If you do, run the bore snake through dry once before you go to the range.

·
Patriot
2,178 Posts
The chambers and barrel should be dry and free of all oil when firing.

To avoid rust while in storage I always wipe oil in (chambers/barrel) and on all metal parts of the firearm.
Most any gun oil on the market should work for that. I use plain old LP oil.
Gun grease would work too, some use wax on the exterior parts with good results.

Looking forward to a range report...

:usa:

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Normally when my guns are in storage I use Marvel's Mystery Oil or a light coat of Rem Oil. I tend to leave them a little oily and prior to going to the range I will wipe them down with a clean towel. The Marvel's Mystery can be a little runny so by all means be careful when you oil them down so you don't have a mess. I have used Marvel's for over 40 years and never encountered any rust problems. But it's all to his own I guess.

Tommy

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to the range! You've heard about people who can't hold their liquor? Well I didn't want to be that guy who couldn't handle his firearm and the gun goes flying out of his hands. So my buddy and I got a two person package gun rental included. So I figured I would just rent one of their guns and let them deal with the damage rather than mart my gun . Shot Ruger sp101 38spcl 130 grain. The gun had iron sight so any accuracy I achieved was purely by accident. Lol! But I had fun regardless of my frequent miss rate. Got scared a bit when my fellow novice buddy pointed his loaded gun at me cause he was talking instead of looking where he was pointing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts