A Rusty Scare

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by conservative, May 22, 2017.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

I got my lcrx out of the case after cleaning it a month ago and noticed some dirt in the barrel because I think I used too much oil. Then I got scared cause I saw in a video that organic based gun oil/cleaner could cause rust if not used carefully. The last cleaner. Then I went to check my barrel again cause I had used organic based products. Shined a light in it and there was some brownish orange inside on parts of the barrel. So I went and got some synthetic products (birchwood Casey) . Looked it up online and saw a similar picture on another forum where they said it was most likely copper residue from factory firing. Boy was I ever relieved. Here is the picture which is similar to how my barrel looks:
    htttp://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd502/njdivertony/IMG_1445.jpg

2. conservative

conservative New Member

This is the pic.

Attached Files:

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

So what is your impression after shooting the gun?

4. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Sweet''s 7.62 solvent will remove that!

5. conservative

conservative New Member

Haven't shot it yet. Waiting for a day off work. Just got put on full time and they are short handed. I'll let you know .

6. conservative

conservative New Member

So I follow the advice of those on this foru and used the sweets7.62. the result after one pass with the bore snake was amazing. I ran it twice more for good measure. Planning on going to an indoor range with a friend Friday. Question though is whether I should re oil the gun after using the solvent?

7. conservative

conservative New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1499282321.581294.jpg here is what it looks like now.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

If you do, run the bore snake through dry once before you go to the range.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The chambers and barrel should be dry and free of all oil when firing.

To avoid rust while in storage I always wipe oil in (chambers/barrel) and on all metal parts of the firearm.
    Most any gun oil on the market should work for that. I use plain old LP oil.
    Gun grease would work too, some use wax on the exterior parts with good results.

Looking forward to a range report...

:usa:

10. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Normally when my guns are in storage I use Marvel's Mystery Oil or a light coat of Rem Oil. I tend to leave them a little oily and prior to going to the range I will wipe them down with a clean towel. The Marvel's Mystery can be a little runny so by all means be careful when you oil them down so you don't have a mess. I have used Marvel's for over 40 years and never encountered any rust problems. But it's all to his own I guess.

Tommy

11. conservative

conservative New Member

Went to the range! You've heard about people who can't hold their liquor? Well I didn't want to be that guy who couldn't handle his firearm and the gun goes flying out of his hands. So my buddy and I got a two person package gun rental included. So I figured I would just rent one of their guns and let them deal with the damage rather than mart my gun . Shot Ruger sp101 38spcl 130 grain. The gun had iron sight so any accuracy I achieved was purely by accident. Lol! But I had fun regardless of my frequent miss rate. Got scared a bit when my fellow novice buddy pointed his loaded gun at me cause he was talking instead of looking where he was pointing.