Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted a real cannon,
I stumbled across these today at a local fleamarket.
They are solid brass, barrels are 12" and 14", measured bore of .5".
Im assuming 50 cal.
The guy knows nothing about them, but wants $300 each.

Anybody got any info or experience with these?
Whats your thoughts ?
Any input ?

I sure am thinking about going back tomorrow.

Id love to fire these off..:cool:

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
That shooting cannon, the guy has to have a fetish. He was blowing up everything. And some things he held in his hand. Jim, don't hold anything in your hand or what's left of it. He was blowing up big bottles of pop and a puter screen and a lot of other things. If I did that, first of all my wife would go nuts and I would be spending all of my time cleaning up the mess. I think I would look around some more and see if you can find any online. They used to make some back in the 50's although I don't know how hard they shot. Just MHO!

Tommy

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Neato, when I was a kid I remember my cousins had one back in Phily, out in the burbs. That thing was like several inches long and a couple inches thick and loud!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
A friend of mine back in the 70's made a cannon that fired gold balls. He had no idea how far the golf balls went because he never found one afterward.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
A friend of mine back in the 70's made a cannon that fired gold balls. He had no idea how far the golf balls went because he never found one afterward.
:) Golf balls only seem like they're made of gold

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
LOL VT you caught me.

·
Banned
475 Posts
I knew a guy that had one.............the barrel itself was about 14" long and it was on a small wheeled carriage. The bore was about the size of a quarter. He put in some powder...............don't know what kind, or how much. He then tamped it in, put a piece of cloth in, tamped that down, used water proof cannon fuse, and it was ready. All except for the ball bearing, a big one, just fit. He backed off about 75 yds. and aimed it at a junk car that was sitting along side a garage. BOOM!!!!! Ground shook a bit. Oh boy.........................the ball bearing went completely through the car, through the garage, and the car that was sitting in it, and we never found the bearing. Let this be a lesson.....................................................................;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Golf balls out of either my mortar or cannon goes at least 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile, at least, since I have never found one.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I knew a guy that had one.............the barrel itself was about 14" long and it was on a small wheeled carriage. The bore was about the size of a quarter. He put in some powder...............don't know what kind, or how much. He then tamped it in, put a piece of cloth in, tamped that down, used water proof cannon fuse, and it was ready. All except for the ball bearing, a big one, just fit. He backed off about 75 yds. and aimed it at a junk car that was sitting along side a garage. BOOM!!!!! Ground shook a bit. Oh boy.........................the ball bearing went completely through the car, through the garage, and the car that was sitting in it, and we never found the bearing. Let this be a lesson.....................................................................;)
This is one of those teachable moments...............
Use at least four cars as a backstop for your cannon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts