A question for a FFL Holding Member .

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by MARYANN, Feb 22, 2019.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Are you saying you had to fill out a 4473, and pay the guy, to get your guns back?
    I've only used a couple of local gunsmiths, no mention of such a thing.
    I've also sent several guns back to the manufacturer for repair, still no 4473 needed.
    I'm thinking small claims court, but I don't like lying cheats so...

2. DParker

DParker Active Member

Did he actually claim you needed to do a transfer via a 4473?

3. louchia

louchia Member

Have you tried to Google Gunsmiths in your area code? You may find one closer than you think. Or you could check the FFL Registry.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

So the guy basically charged you for his doing nothing but ripping you off?
    Bad thing is he had your guns so he sort of had you by the jewels.
    I made a mistake once doing a transfer with an FFL I had not used before. When I picked up the guy said the transfer was $80. I said I was think he was mistaken because I only had the one pistol. He said no mistake, their transfer cost $80. I was only expecting no more than $30 so I didn't have the cash. I had to use my credit card. The woman charged me tax on the $80 plus a credit card fee. I never before was charged sales tax on an FFL transfer. I had no choice but to pay it. Taught me a lesson to always ask how much the transfer fee is before using them.
    I am guessing they didn't like doing transfers so this was good way to make sure people didn't use them a second time.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  5. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

That dealer should be reported to the BATF-E for not following the law if he indeed does have an 01 type FFL. He should have entered all the data pertinent to and involved with your guns in his "BOUND" book, and then returned them to you without any transfer fee, and then noted that return in his bound book......according to the rules involved with his license. If I were you I would tell him that another dealer, at Sarona Gun Works LLC who has held an FFL since 1969 told you that he should be reported to the ATF for driving around with your guns in his truck for 15 days and that he charged you $30.00 to transfer your guns back to you. Then, ask him if his truck is listed on his license as his place of business. If he has an actual place of business, that's where your guns should have been, and logged into.
    He should refund any money he charged you, and tell him so, or you will file a formal complaint with the ATF about the way he operates. They WILL investigate him and do an audit on his record keeping. Print this out and give or email it to him. He should not even be considered a legitimate FFL anything, and needs to be investigated.

MagBlackhawk and louchia like this.
  6. louchia

louchia Member

Maryann, would you care to post the name and address of the business that treated you so poorly?

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That's even better than my idea of taking him to a Small Claims court.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  8. SGW Gunsmith

An alternative, but not necessarily better.:) Can't lie past an ATF agent, just means more trouble.

9. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

Just to clear things up This FFL did not ask me to do a 4473 or charge me . My question was Could he . I did call and talk to the local ATF office . The person I called was very helpful and I did learn a lot . Yes he had my Two Revolvers in this Truck for 15 days . Bottom line was he lied to me told he just did not have time but would have it to his gunsmith ASAP . This has been a night mare I have tried to have the guns worked on now for over three months . As of today I have had my revolvers to three gunsmith and still have problems . The first Smith had my guns 74 days and has told he did not have the time the second gunsmith 15 day later the FFL still had them the last gunsmith (number 3) did fix one and not the other . taking the second gun back today 70 miles round trip and hope to have it back today . So I have had two guns at three gunsmiths in close to four months and only one working so far . Now I feel like dumping the gun in the river and giving up

10. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

The whole Story . I took a Ruger Revolver to a gun smith I used before that was October 17th . At the End of December he e-mailed me and said he no longer had time to do my work please pickup the firearm .

I then ask a New local Gun Shop if he had a GunSmith he used . He said yes but would not give a name address or city ? He said I take the gun to the GunSmith on Friday and Pick it up the next Friday . After him having the Guns(2) for 15 days I took them back . Yes he had my Firearms in this Pickup Truck all that time . I did worry he would ask for a new Transfer $30 each .

10 days ago I took my guns to one more GunSmith .
    He call in about a week both are done but one is not working right but he did a nice job on the other one .
    Just so you know . No I did not pay for a 4473 to get my guns back The last gunsmith had no idea how to install a free spin pawl I will do that today what can I loose . This only took over three months three different gunsmiths and a lot of miles plus gas and time .

11. SGW Gunsmith

Experiences as yours are tough to read. If that person who drove your two revolvers around on tour, for 15 days, gets a visit from a compliance agent, I rather doubt that ANY of his business practices will be different than how you were treated, and he'll most likely get "spanked".
    I assume you will be using the "Power Custom" free-spin pawl?

12. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

SGW Gunsmith Kind of funny you say that . Ron Powers is one great guy he has been very good to me over the years . If I knew 10% of what Ron knows I would be one happy guy . I call Ron a lot and when he talks I listen .

13. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Oh! Never Mind then. Total misunderstanding in this thread.
    I'm guessing the same may be happening elsewhere......

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  14. SGW Gunsmith

Oh and I agree with your summation. It's probably a habit of this misfit to treat customers badly.

15. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

SGW Gunsmith I did call Powers and talk to Ron . The last GunSmith did not fit the pawl to the hammer . Ron told me what to do and the gun is fixed . As of now all my firearms are working and yes I will just send them the Powers Custom