A question for a FFL Holding Member .

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by MARYANN, Feb 22, 2019.

1. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

I live in the country 4 mile from a very small town . We just got the first real Gun shop the first of the year . Here is my Question

I ask the owner of the Gun Shop if he had a GunSmith he used and he said yes . So I have him take two Ruger,s to have work done . He took the guns to his Smith 40 miles from his shop and had told he has use this Smith for years . ( would not offer his name) . When I get the Guns back will I need to register them again to pick MY guns up . I really do not like paying to have my guns back . With this Shop owner do I need to Register them A second time ?

2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Register your gun... We don't do that in Texas.
    What state are you in? Someone in the state you live in should be able to help.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I would think since the guns ownership were not transferred then you should not have to do a 4473 form to get them back from your LGS.

C. D. Bates likes this.
  4. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

I live in Indiana we have a lot of FFL Holders not a bunch of Gun Smiths . The Internet is full of WEB sites saying I am a gun smith when they really just clean a firearm ?

5. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

It depends upon what work the gunsmith did. Did you bring him a bag of parts and he had to basically “manufacture” a gun? Then you might have to register it.

trichey56 and armbruse like this.
  6. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

I Gave the owner of the gun shop two Ruger Revolvers . One to have the Barrel cut the other to smooth the recoil plate . The Shop owner told me he would deliver the guns to his gun smith he has not . He the Gun Shop owner has had the Revolvers for 10 days today .
    He told me that he makes a trip to his gun smith every Friday night to pickup and Drop off work . Now he has no time to do that ?? I am going to the gun shop in about an hour if he still has my guns I will have them back . I think he may asking to re register them at $30 each .

7. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I do no believe he has the right to make you do another 4473 because you did not give him the guns on consignment for resale.
    If a person uses an FFL for consignment resale and then decides to cancel the consignment or the gun just doesn't sell then you the gun owner will have to sign another 4473 to get your gun back.
    You took the gun to the LGS for repair not resale so I would really question the LGS if he says he is going to charge you for a transfer of ownership back to you.
    Did he give you a receipt showing the gun serial numbers and a description of what he was supposed to do with the guns?
    It seems he LGS is really doing a number on you. First off he didn't take the gun to the gunsmith like said he would and now he might want to charge you for a transfer.
    I find it wise to do an internet complaint search/review of any business just to be on the safe side. That has saved my hind end several times from getting screwed.
    If a person ships a gun back to say Ruger for repair then the gun doesn't require an FFL or 4473 unless the gun is replaced or has another new serial number. Case in point I have sent 3 guns back to Ruger and they were sent directly back to my address.
    Here is an informative link about it.
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...rearm-when-return-from-factory-repair.799648/

C. D. Bates likes this.
  8. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

I am having one hell of a time finding one person that will do anything close to what they said they would do . Now today I fine the Dealer is at a Dealer meeting will not be back open until the 26th. Not sure if he got my Revolvers to the Gun Smith Yet .

9. louchia

louchia Member

sounds to me like someone is messing with you. I agree with buster40c.
    I would get my guns back and try to find someone else. May be call Ruger and ask them.
    At this point and even if there was work done, there is no need for paper work of any kind except a receipt and description of work done.

armbruse likes this.
  10. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

I can not send them to Ruger one is a Mag-Na-Port Gun . Ruger would turn it back to a stock Ruger .
    Mag-Na-Port will not Fix it they said they install the package and do not work on the gun Ruger built .

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The smith can give the firearm back to the original person who brought it in without a 4473. If another person picks it up for you, a 4473 must be filled out and a background check completed. If a gunsmith keeps a firearm from one business day to the next, it must be logged into his A&D record, it must be logged into the gunsmiths A&D record when it is picked up as well, even though the same person is picking up the firearm. If a firearm is taken in, repaired, and returned the same day it is exempt and not required to be entered into the A&D book.

Here is some good reading. https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/gunsmiths

DParker and louchia like this.
  12. louchia

louchia Member

Thanks greg_r. for the post. That's good info.

13. Magnum.357

Magnum.357 Active Member

Maryann, I think you should contact the Ruger co. and find out it they will do the work you are requesting. There are too many shady people out there. Don't be too trusting, especially when your gun dealer can not give you the name, number or address of this gunsmith's place of business. You should also have a receipt from your gun dealer taking possession of your guns and stating what you want done.
    Also, I don't think you need to reregister your firearms. There is an FBI firearms division website that will give you the correct answer regarding your firearms. You can also call the firearms division If you need to speak with someone.

C. D. Bates likes this.
  14. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

Just say , " NO! " he has no reason to charge you or require any paperwork. If he continues, tell him you are contacting BATFE, local PD, and your lawyer. This person is a crook and an idiot.
    Take them to the 'Smith, yourself.

15. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

Well I got my guns back the Gun Shop had them for 15 days (in histruck) . He just did not have time to take them to this Smith?? I did call Ruger if they did the work the guns would only come back to me as they came from Ruger .

16. DParker

DParker Active Member

I'm glad to hear you got your guns back without incident, save for the pointless delay. But I'm a little confused by your references to registering (or reregistering) them. There is no firearm registration requirement in the state of Indiana, nor is there at the federal level (at least not yet). Did the gun store owner claim that there is?

louchia likes this.
  17. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

DParker I/we are talking about doing a 4473 as in a transfer back to me . This FFL has a 30 dollar charge to transfer my firearm back to me just a way to make a little money . I have my Revolvers back the dealer (FFL) will not see me I this shop again .

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  18. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

I have found that all gunsmiths must be a FFL holder but not all FFL holders are gunsmiths. Especially a good gunsmith and finding a good one is difficult.
    I am glad you got your guns back.

19. louchia

louchia Member

I probably don't live in your state. Good to here you got your guns back. I would suggest that you not do any business with that shop again. A 4473 is for the purpose of transferring ownership of the fire arms. Those are your guns.

20. quirky

quirky Active Member

@MARYANN,

Looks like you dodge one, just another peckerwood kitchen table gunsmith. Can you imagine if his truck gets broken into or stolen, your guns in your name used in some criminal activity. Oh yeah, try explaining that one right as the cops rake you over the coals.

louchia likes this.