A new version of the GP100 for 2014

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by steadyshot, Jan 17, 2014.

1. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Looks like Ruger is adding another GP100 to their revolver lineup.
    The Match Champion. It will have a slab sided half lug 4.2 inch barrel.

Model Number: 1754 | Caliber: 357 Mag
    Material: Stainless Steel Finish: Satin Stainless Front Sight: Fiber Optic Rear Sight: Fixed Barrel Length: 4.2" Overall Length: 9.50" Weight: 38.00 oz. Grips: Hogue® Stippled Hardwood Twist: 1:18.75" RH Grooves: 5 MA Approved & Certified: No CA Approved: No Capacity: 6 Suggested Retail: $899.00
    [​IMG]

Features:

• The Match Champion™ Model is designed with the competitor in mind. With its ergonomic enhancements and tuned action, the Match Champion™ delivers fast, accurate shots and takes the popular GP100® to the next level. It features a contoured cylinder, Novak® Lo-Mount Carry rear sight and fiber optic front sight, Hogue® hardwood grip with stippled sides and a slab-sided, half-lug target crowned barrel.
    • Patented grip frame design easily accommodates the use of a wide variety of custom grips.
    • Patented Ruger transfer bar mechanism provides an unparalleled measure of security against accidental discharge.
    • Triple-locking cylinder is locked into the frame at the front, rear and bottom for more positive alignment and dependable operation shot after shot.
    • Easy takedown of integrated subassemblies requires no special tools and allows for no hassle maintenance and assembly.
    • Also features a slab-sided, half-lug barrel and hard plastic case.

http://ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/models.html

What's ya think?

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I love this gun.....I believe its on my must have list......

3. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I been checking this gun out last two weeks ever since I saw it coming out. It's a must have on my list :)

4. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

I'm a loyal Ruger guy, but I really can't see any advantages to this GP over previous versions. Just my opinion, of course, but I would say the marketing outweighs the substance on this GP...:(

5. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I think I agree. This one abandons the excellent quick-change front sight scheme of the conventional GP. The conventional GP100 has good adjustable sights. I would rather shoot my conventional GP than this one. Especially after I had a mild trigger job done on it. And I am not sure what the slab-sided barrel does although I'll allow that maybe it improves the balance of the gun.

6. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I don't think you will even have the option to buy one in California at this time. However you may change your mind in the future. Hopefully by then it will be Cali approved and you will have the chance to buy one if you want.

7. Redleg

Redleg New Member

It should be approved in California pretty soon no problem. Our stupid microstamping law does not apply to revolvers so no reason why this gun won't be approved just like always.

I have nothing against this gun, that's for sure. I am just saying that for me one of the very best features of the GP100 has been the ability to quickly swap out front sights without tools or a gunsmith. This gun takes that feature away, to me inexplicably. I do not doubt that the new GP is a great gun, like all GP100s are.

8. MDS

MDS New Member

I think it's an interesting new addition to the GP line up. Some people will swiftly welcome the features like the new sights. Thinking of how personally satisfied I've been with my own GP100 4.2" in stainless... my first thought, aesthetically anyhow is that those grips are beautiful! I hope those are available soon so I can put them on mine. :D

9. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Very Very pretty:metal2: