A new ride ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Dec 11, 2015.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ok, heres the deal,

The older I get the less flexible I am...(many here know what I mean);)

I have determined that riding in a normal car/sedan is not the most fitting ride for me and the wife.

We bought a new Nissan Altima in 2013, because, it gets great gas mileage( 36-40 mpg) ,has 50k miles on it, its a great car, good looking, plenty power, all the bells and whistles.
    But, it has become a real ordeal to get into and out of (fall in, and climb out), plus, after riding in it for over 45 minutes , my back and knees get really stiff, and takes a while to stretch out , after getting out. that aint good. I will be looking at trading it.

I also have a 2004 Toyota Tundra Limited truck, I never have this problem of getting in or out, or after driving long periods. It sets you up in the cab comfortably, your not laying down , so to speak.

Soooooo, we been thinking about what to do.

We looked at the Dodge Ram 1500 Ecodiesel truck, 29 mpg hwy, great truck,NICE, but I have a nice truck.

Now I am thinking ...a compact SUV may be the answer.

I have googled them to the inth degree, and , from my googling, I have decided to ,at least, go and test drive a Mazda CX-5, has high ratings on everything, and gets 33mpg hwy,

[​IMG]

I would like to stay in the 30 grand and less range

Any of you guys got any input, or advice?

I need easy entry and exit ,and my butt not sitting on the floor, and decent gas mileage,

What yall think?
    Am I thinking wrong ?

Jim

2. 2manyhotrods

2manyhotrods 2manyhotrods

Try out anew Tacoma crew cab. Very comfortable for me.

3. phideaux

They are nice,
    My friend has one, and loves it,

But I have a Truck already, and will not part with it,
    My Tundra is still like new.
    Don't want 2 trucks.

I'm 6'3" and 220 lbs.

Thanks

Jim

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

You must have checked out the RAV4 already. My niece had a 2012 I've ridden in, but they look like they've changed some. I know what you mean by 'climbing out'. Getting out of my Prius C is a 'process'.

Then I hit the lottery, I'm getting an FJ Cruiser. (And keeping the Prius.)

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Buy a Ford 'nough said... :D

6. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Jim, it is because of my knees that I also drive a suv. They sit a little more upright, and I don't feel like my butt is scraping the highway at 60 mph. I have a Lexus RX 350 and my g/f has a Kia Sorrento. I actually like her Sorrento better than the Lexus because it has more bells and whistles. I do believe I'd rather be in the Lex vs the Kia if we were to crash it though. I also like the style of that Mazda, but I hear they have lots of breakdowns. As VT said, the redesigned Rav 4 is pretty slick, but I hear they have become pretty pricy as of yet. I've looked at the new Jeep Suv's as well, but I'm not sold because I hear they start falling apart as soon as you drive them off the lot.

7. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

My mother in law has a 2015 Mazda CX5, and loves it, she has had zero problems with it.

And the gas mileage is incredible.

My wife has a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. .....also an excellent vehicle, not as good on gas as the Mazda

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  8. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Honda CRV, Mazda MX-5 or Hyundai Santa Fe. Can't go wrong. Go to Cars.com and get a lease trade-in with less than 20k miles and save a bundle.

9. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Since I'm also looking for something similar, I need to look at the Honda and Mazda a bit closer.

10. phideaux

I am looking at

1. MPG
    2. Comfort ( ease of entry/exit and seats)
    3. Performance /power
    4. Warranty
    5. 0 % financing ( no more than 2.5%)
    6. Technology (( GPS, touch screen, backup camera, sound system etc)
    7. Price of course.
    8. Body Styling.

Not necessarily in that order.

I want the best of the above , that I can get for the least money.

So far , its that Mazda CX-5, Touring model, with the 2.5 motor.

That may change after I test dive one.

Jim

11. LT2108

LT2108 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I would definitely also recommend the CX5

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,
    I have the same problems and I am sure that most of us do. My wife has a 2006 Scion and even on long trips it has gotten 36-37mpg and it pretty comfortable to ride in. I think if you looked at new Toyotas, you might find one fully equipped that would suit your needs. My step son got a new Hyundai and it really is a nice car and it's fully loaded. The best part are the seats. They are electric and fully adjustable. I had that 88 Corvette (always wanted a Corvette) but I could NOT get out of it!!! I traded that and got a 79 Lincoln Cartier, fully loaded and besides my Model A's, that's what I usually drive. It only has 90K miles on it, but has all the goodies the new cars have AND I can get in and out of it. If I were looking to buy new or slightly used, I would look at Toyotas or a Hyundai. Just MHO for what it's worth.

Tommy

13. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Made in America?

14. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

From what I see price wise and comfort it rates pretty good. Go and test drive for half hour a couple SUV types. You could possibly rent one for a day. Test drives are almost useless IMO. To short of time driving to really check out the car.
    I have noticed in a few cars that after even 20 minutes of driving that my back was killing me. One of those cars was a Jaguar sedan and the was a Toyota Corolla. To opposite in line cars but both sucked in driver seat comfort.
    I did see one complaint that lower lumbar of driver seat in the CX5 was not comfortable for long drives. But everyone is different about what is comfortable for themselves.
    I long test drive without the salesmen running his mouth is best test to know a car.
    Check out the newest lease cars that leases are ending. Usually they have under 25,000 miles and you can save a boat load of money. People say never buy a lease car but I have had nothing but good results buying an end lease Chevy Malibu with 19,000 miles and one year old. I saved a bunch of money on purchase and I had 165,000 miles on it when I let it go with nothing wrong with it.
    The thing to look at also is resale values if you plan on selling in just a couple years. A Toyota resale is much better than a Mazda or many other cars.

15. phideaux

I have definitely thought about resale value,
    But I will probably keep this one for a long time.

If I can get my lovely bride to ride along, I would like to go drive one tomorrow.

I want to drive the CX3 and the CX4 for comparison.

Jim

16. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I haven't driven a Mazda suv but I've rented their cars for extended trips twice, and I've been so impressed by the Mazda6 that I'm looking at getting one as soon as I can save up half the price. The 6 is smooth, quiet, powerful enough, (though not like a sports car, it will hit triple digits without much effort) and at 100 mph it feels just as solid on the road as it does at 65. Mazda has the suspension and steering just right and if the cx-5 is anything like the cars you will not be disappointed.

17. phideaux

Here is a few pics,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  18. 2manyhotrods

2manyhotrods 2manyhotrods

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1451965111.921760.jpg My every day work horse. Does everything I ask of it and more when needed.
    Indestructible!

19. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

What do you think of the CX-5 so far, Jim? Hope it's working out well for you.

20. phideaux

We drove it home on Dec 21, so had it 2 weeks.

Havent found anything so far that I don't like.

Entry and exit is sooooo easy.

We are getting 30.8 mpg , all around driving,
    haven't done a hwy trip yet.

I really like 3 options , that I didn't even think about before,
    1. The rain sensitive wipers ...very awesome.
    2. The voice commands system...very nice
    3. The blind spot warning...incredible

The handling is really like no other , and the quiet cabin is also. Impressive.

I think its a keeper.:Cooltu:

Jim