Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new pistol from my brother who has had it over 30 years. It's a Smith & Wesson, Model 10 .38 special 6 shot that is almost mint. It's a snubbie with a 2" barrel. He is here from California for the week end and hopefully we will get to the range on Sunday and see how it shoots. I don't get to see him that often so it's a joy when he is here. He lives in Commiefornia right on the beach, Ventura. Temps here are a killer for him and his wife because they are used to mid 70's and it got to 109 here today. Any, happy he got here safely and we are both ready to shoot.

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
It's good that you get to spend some time with your brother and his wife. Him giving you a gun isn't bad either. He should come visit more often. The model 10 are good guns. Nice trigger action, Being a snub it can be a good bug.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Very nice Tommy! Old smith's are great.

I want pictures!

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Thats awesome , you got a good brother, enjoy your time together, specially shooting.

When you get time...I want to see it....PICS.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Tommy, "Model 10" ain't enough info; need the dash number for proper ID. Stock style and grips too, when you get time, after your bro heads back will be acceptable. Barely.

Yep, of course I'm writing a book.

;)

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all,

We just got back from my birthday dinner (not actually until the 20th of Aug) and they told the waitress, without my knowing so they all came over and sang Happy Birthday. Yes, I was embarrassed!

Jim,
Will try to get some pics and I will post them and you will have to turn it upside down, whatever. I don't know why my puter won't let me post them the way I have them in my computer. Gonna have that Savage kid come sometime and have him fix this thing OR have him give me some schooling. Gawd, can you imagine him trying to tell a dummy like me on proper technique??

Bob,
It's a 10-5, I think (very hard to read) with rubber grips and they look like Hogue that are diamond etching. He said those were the grips that were on it when he got it so I don't know if it came with hard wood or not. I have not pulled the grips off to see the serial # but I thought they would also be on the frame. NOT! I know that this is after the 5 screw model. Ramp sights with pinned barrel however barrel is not tapered.(They look like ramps) Underneath the Made in U.S.A. it says: Marcas Registradas, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, Mass. # on swing out cylinder 23212 with a big R stamped.

Let me know what you come up with. I will, within this next couple of days get ahold of you if you don't respond to this posting and pick your leg pulling brain. Thanks!

Tommy
Looking again at the model # it COULD be an 11 instead of 10 but the roll stamp is very, very, light and really hard to read.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Marcas Registradas is Latin for Registered Trademark. S&W started marking their arms such in 1943 because of all the Spanish copies that were showing up. The 10-5 was made from 1962 until 1976.

It's a sweet revolver.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
The model number will be on the gun frame where the cylinder yoke closes against. The serial number should be on the bottom of the grip frame which in your case is probably covered by the rubber grip.
I am checking about the "R" as some cases it can mean the gun was refinished by S&W depending where the "R" is located on the gun. The S&W crowd said if it had been refinished by S&W the "R" would be on the grip frame and probably be an R-B for blued or R-S for stainless refinish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts