A new Old Ruger

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by MARYANN, Sep 11, 2018.

1. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk Predator three weeks ago the gun is very nice and well built . I shot the Predator today for the first time (it was unfired) Built in 1979 by Ruger and made into a Predator by Mag-Na-Port . Looks like I need to send it back to Mag-Na-port The Cylinder is just to tight . It is a pain to put the Cylinder in the Frame zero end shake . This is a 44 Mag that I have been looking for . After 30 plus rounds the Cylinder is to tight to index at all after it cools well it is fine . I will find out tomorrow if Mag-Na-Port will fix it after all this time (39 years) but unfired until today ? I could fix it myself but to nice for me to work on .

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

When it is hot and to tight have you looked at the gap space? Then check it again after it cools to see if the gap is then bigger.

You should be able to see light through the gap space even when it is hot. If you see no light in gap then probably there is your problem.

Perhaps you know what the problem is and I should just listen.

It will be interesting to hear if Magna Port will repair or even check out that old of a gun.

3. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

I think that is the problem no gap zero end shake at all . I can fire the first four rounds the sixed round will not let the cylinder move at all . Will call Mag-Na-Port today and see what they have to say .

4. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

Well as I thought it would be I called Mag-Na-Port the head gun smith said high primer your mistake gun is fine . I guess he knows his stuff (NOT) Going to a local smith next week .

5. buster40c

Well if it did the same thing with some other brand ammo then I would call him back and say sorry but the gun isn't fine.
    Yes a primer can cause that but that isn't a for sure thing. Telling someone the gun is fine without asking anymore questions is assuming as awful lot.
    I had bought 500 rounds of reloaded 38 spl and quite a few locked up my cylinder on several guns not just one. It turned out when the casings were sized the head rings were to thick and the casings at the head were bulged. The vendor replaced all 500 rounds even though I shot about 100 of them. He said their sizing die had problems for awhile. Yeah so why did you sell these defects?
    Anyway change to another ammo and see if it still does it. It could be the ammo like what happened to me.

6. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

It is not the Ammo I loaded about 150 rounds the day before and used my Forster Press and it sets primers very well . I cleaned the Ruger very well and got my son to shoot steel plates at my home. The first three Cylinders full the gun was fine I told my son to shoot reload and shoot again giving the gun no time to cool . At reload number five (30 Rounds) the Cylinder started to stick at first very little . Shooting The last six the Cylinder stuck on number four and I would not rotate .
    Just a note all my brass is clean I shoot 10.2 gr. Unique under COATED 240 gr. lead bullet . The Cylinder was still clean but the Cylinder Barrel gap was gone .

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  7. buster40c

Have you removed the cylinder crane from the frame to see if there is old hard gun grease taking up space holding the cylinder to far out of place? I have read more than once about old unfired guns being gunked up with hard gun grease.

I have a Colt Trooper MKV that was supposedly unfired and it took some oiling to get it to loosen up and not have the action hang up. I was actually disappointed in the gun when I first fired it. It got much better after oiling.

Just curious. Would like to hear what a gun smith tells you.

8. MARYANN

MARYANN Member

The Ruger Super Blackhawk is a single action no crane (base pin) . I have a lot of time reloading for the 44 Mag and know the Ruger Revolvers well . I am not a Gunsmith but can see things that are not right . I know a very good gunsmith that I trust and he will look at the Revolver next week . At this time I believe the Cylinder gap is just to tight .