·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Henry Big Boy Steel in 38/357

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I like most everything about that gun, except for the inaccessibility of the receiver's innards.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I LOVE lever action rifles. I had a Marlin .357 mfg in 1980. It looked brand new. When Marlin stopped being Marlin collectors went crazy for them.
I sold it for $850.00 with box to a collector, we both knew it was worth more but money was tight at the time.

I'm still kicking myself for selling an old Win 94/22 mag back before collectors went nuts for those. It also looked new.
All I ever did with them was shoot em a little and admire them a lot. Of course I got the itch for another L/A, wish Ruger made one.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I LOVE lever action rifles. I had a Marlin .357 mfg in 1980. It looked brand new. When Marlin stopped being Marlin collectors went crazy for them.
I sold it for $850.00 with box to a collector, we both knew it was worth more but money was tight at the time.

I'm still kicking myself for selling an old Win 94/22 mag back before collectors went nuts for those. It also looked new.
All I ever did with them was shoot em a little and admire them a lot. Of course I got the itch for another L/A, wish Ruger made one.
I REALLY wanted a Marlin 1894C in 357, but they are crazy expensive now. Today, you could get an extra $400 for the one you had.
I had located a NIB, post-Remington 1984C, but the guy wanted $970 for it. It was untested, and not covered by warranty now. I wasn't willing to risk that, and for $310 less, I can deal with the tube load on the Henry.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Very nice hodge...good caliber too !!

I currently own a Winchester Model 1894 Top Eject chambered in .30 WCF ( my Pennsylvania White Tail dropper ) circa 1977

and a Rossi Ranch Hand chambered in .44 Magnum / Special...circa 2013...because it's bad ass.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Very nice hodge...good caliber too !!

I currently own a Winchester Model 1894 Top Eject chambered in .30 WCF ( my Pennsylvania White Tail dropper ) circa 1977

and a Rossi Ranch Hand chambered in .44 Magnum / Special...circa 2013...because it's bad ass.
I have a Winchester 1894 .30 WCF from ~1935 for no particular reason, and a Winchester/Browning/Miroku B-92 .44 Magnum - "because it's bad-ass". :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am really itching to get to the range and put the Henry through its paces, but the schedule has been too full. Did this all day yesterday-

Every year, this time, we (I'm Mennonite) boil apple butter to be sold at the Virginia Mennonite Relief Sale (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Q-cmOAaaNLqEoW_bw&sig2=i8hjSpIb32x92tBuH8JqaQ) on the first Saturday of Oct. We usually have 20 copper kettles going, producing 3,000 to 4,000 (depending on numbers of kettles and how much they boil down) quarts in a day. We will boil again next Saturday, if it isn't raining. It is a long standing tradition in our area, and it is still going. It does get harder to get volunteers each year, like with about everything else volunteer.
So, no range time yesterday. Maybe this week.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I gained 5 lbs. just watching the link.
Now that would be a wonderful family outing and a lot of quality items to buy.
The little town my dad grew up in, Hartville, Ohio, has a lot of Amish and Mennonite in the area. They have a flea market with a restaurant, home cooking, and it is always crowded. Geeze I could go for some real apple cider.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Winchester Model 1894 chambered in .30 WCF...circa 1977

Rossi Ranch Hand chambered in .44 Magnum / Special...circa 2013...1 Bad Ass Pistol

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
hodge,
Seems like getting a good Marlin lever action rifle made by Rem is a hit or miss proposition.
If a person wants a good Marlin L/A, you gotta get an older one with the JM proof mark on the barrel.
You did good in choosing a Henry.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
hodge,
Seems like getting a good Marlin lever action rifle made by Rem is a hit or miss proposition.
If a person wants a good Marlin L/A, you gotta get an older one with the JM proof mark on the barrel.
You did good in choosing a Henry.
It's all in the Quality Control in manufacture of these 'tried and true' designs. QC costs money, especially in the beginning, when the majority of the rejects occur. The bean counters tend to be a bit shortsighted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts