Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your like me , you love looking at guns,

I finally got around to a new portrait of my 45-70 family, with the latest addition.

http://postimage.org/

Top to bottom:
1 Pedersoli Sharps Quigley 1874 ,34" barrel
2 H&R Buffalo Classic ,Williams peep sights, 32" barrel
3 Browning 78, Williams peep sights, 26" barrel
4 Ruger #1, Leupold 2x7x33 VariXII scope, 22" barrel
5 Marlin 1895 GBL , factory sights, 18 1/2" barrel

I aquired all used ,except the H&R,
The easiest shooter is the H&R , the hardest (on the shoulder) is the Browning,
I guess I will find out about the Ruger #1 soon enough.

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Jim,
Mighty fine collection of long guns. When the movie "Quigley" came out, I wanted one of those guns so bad that I could taste it. Course I can't shoot like Quigley but the thought of having a long range precision rifle was giving me dreams. I am so glad you have one along with the others in your collection. You should be proud and knowing you, and our conversations, you are proud and one who is appreciative of what he has. Good for you!!!!
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Yep you have some excellent looking long woodies there. I had to get one of my long ones out just to admire the hardwood. In the old days people could have their guns hanging on the walls to show some beauty but you take a big chance doing that these days.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Yeah, that Browning has 'massage' "written all over it". I'd love to shoot it - standing, offhand, once.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They dont hang on the wall (but I do show them often) and I shoot them on a regular basis. Thats how I show them I love them...;):D

They abide in a safe in their own protective socks until time to go play.

That Browning is , for some reason, a beast. I loaded up some really , really hot loads for it, and nobody will shoot more than one, :eek:, and some grown men wont shoot it at all.:D

Yeah, VT, if you shoot it , its a little easier on ya free hand.
Bench shootin it really thumps.:eek:

I, personally, love that big thump, and the big hole it makes .

My 12 yr old grandson shoots all of them. He has been shootin since he was old enough to hold up a Red Ryder.:cool::D

He even shoots my S&W 460 mag.

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
They dont hang on the wall (but I do show them often) and I shoot them on a regular basis. Thats how I show them I love them...;):D

They abide in a safe in their own protective socks until time to go play.

That Browning is , for some reason, a beast. I loaded up some really , really hot loads for it, and nobody will shoot more than one, :eek:, and some grown men wont shoot it at all.:D

Yeah, VT, if you shoot it , its a little easier on ya free hand.
Bench shootin it really thumps.:eek:

I, personally, love that big thump, and the big hole it makes .

My 12 yr old grandson shoots all of them. He has been shootin since he was old enough to hold up a Red Ryder.:cool::D

He even shoots my S&W 460 mag.

Jim
Jim,
Your grandson must have a shoulder built out of granite. I would shoot it offhand but on a bench, well that is a different story. At least with it in the offhand position, someone could pick me up when I got done shooting. On a bench, they would have to tip me and the bench back up again!!!:cheesy:
Tommy

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Jim,
Your grandson must have a shoulder built out of granite. I would shoot it offhand but on a bench, well that is a different story. At least with it in the offhand position, someone could pick me up when I got done shooting. On a bench, they would have to tip me and the bench back up again!!!:cheesy:
Tommy
Hah! That's the Sharps. Long barrel, probably pretty heavy. The butt is pretty much what they call 'shotgun' style nowadays. The drop at the heel is old-style, but the barrel length&weight must counteract some of the, ah, rotational force.

That's my theory... but I'd want to see the kid fire it once before volunteering; I wasn't born yesterday.

:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts