A Little Out of the Norm Guns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by FrogSwatter, Mar 28, 2013.

1. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

Do you have a gun that's a little out of the norm or you think it might be rare? How about that old clunker in the back of your safe? Maybe others haven't seen one like it or have seen it in a magazine and just not known anybody that had one to ask what they thought about it. If so, this thread's for you to show it off.

I'll start.

This is the blurb from Wikipedia:
    Charter Arms Explorer II pistol-
    Explorer II was a pistol version of the AR-7.[9] It resembled a Broomhandle Mauser. The receiver had a built-in pistol grip with no provision for the rifle stock (the internal parts are interchangeable between rifle and pistol). The rear sight of the pistol was an open notch adjustable for windage and elevation. The Explorer II front sight was integral with the barrel shell and was not adjustable. The magazine well in front of the trigger guard would accept any magazine designed for the rifle. A spare 8 round magazine could be carried inside the grip. The most common barrel was eight inches. Optional barrel lengths included six and ten inches.
    Legal note
    Due to the U.S. 1934 NFA regulations setting minimum rifle barrel length at 16 inches, Charter Arms made the barrels of the Explorer I rifle and Explorer II pistol non-interchangeable to prevent users from installing the pistol barrel on the rifle. The AR-7 barrel has an alignment lug that mates a notch in the receiver. The rifle receiver notch and barrel lug are on top; the pistol notch and lug are broader and on the bottom. If a Charter Arms factory-made pistol barrel were installed on a rifle, the extractor on the bolt would be opposite the extractor slot in the barrel, preventing the bolt from closing (plus the front sight would be upside down). Modifying the pistol barrel to fit the rifle, or modifying the rifle receiver to accept the pistol barrel, would legally be "making a short barrel rifle" requiring federal registration on an ATF Form 1 with payment of a $200.00 tax.

Picked this up in a package deal. I figure I gave ≊ $35. for it. I had never seen one before, that I could remember, so why not. The price was right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1PvuQmCy-8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1PvuQmCy-8[/ame]

Attached Files:

2. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Yep, it's much like the rifle, just shorter. Kinda long for a handgun. Vaugely reminded me of a Broomhandle Mauser. I have had 2 of them. One worked well. The other had feeding problems that were traced to the mag. Had similar experiences with the rifles.

3. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

Yes, I've seen a couple of places on the internet on a mag. fix for the feeding problem. As yet I haven't shot this one to know if the "fix" is needed.

4. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

My most unique firearm was an old Sharps Pepperbox.
    It four stationary barrels chambered in .22 short.
    When fired, the firing pin would rotate to the next round.
    I don't have it anymore. It was lost in a house fire.

5. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

Sorry to hear that! Sounds like it was a fun little gun.

6. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

A Mini Cannon From Taurus

Attached Files:

7. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Yes it sucks. Lost several unique firearms in that fire, but at least nobody was hurt!

8. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Well, that shouldn't have any muzzle flash! :eek:

9. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

I want to see a video of you shooting that!!!:eek:

10. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

A little out of the norm, maybe, somewhat, I guess, maybe not so much.:)

IJ 22.jpg

ij 22-1.jpg

Iver Johnson Super Shot, Top Break .22LR ,9 shot, from 1938.

Shoots really nice.
    Just a lovely little revolver.

Jim

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  11. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

That is the most important thing of all!

12. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Not really rare, but not something you see everyday. A Marlin model 99 M1. Got it from my dad, it was his old squirrel gun.

I'm thinking of removing the scope and installing a rear sight that looks something like the m1 carbine rear sight

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      62.3 KB
      Views:
  13. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

I'd say it qualifies. Pretty cool revolver!

14. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

Just reading about these on the MarlinForum and here is one. Never heard of this model before tonight. I wouldn't mind finding one. Very nice looking and extra special getting it from your Dad!

15. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

These are the guns I'm talking about. I'm sure some of you have more. Even if you don't think it's all that rare or if you just think it's cool, let's have a look. There are a lot of firearms out there that someone else on the forum might enjoy seeing! I know I like looking at them!!!

16. jerrysriggs

jerrysriggs New Member

I have one my dad gave to me for my tenth Christmas. Still have it. The set-screw for the front sight kept vibrating loose. Finally lost it on a rabbit hunt while going through some thick brush. Never found it. Was getting to where I could not see so well any way so I put a 3-9×1" tasco on top and I can pop squirrels in late fall with it.

17. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

Probably smooth like this (NOT).
    It's the new Taurus Chief Justice. 50 BMG or 12 Gauge 3 1/2 inch magnum.

[​IMG]

18. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

This is a Cobray Leinad Model DS .410 double barrel shotgun. Some say you can shoot .45 out of it. I say it only lists .410 on the barrel. It has a folding stock that has spaces for 6 extra shells. The 3 in the butt fall out freely, so I wouldn't use them. Nothing longer than 2½" shells. Plastic shells stick in the chamber after being fired, so I carry a dowel to use as a ramrod to remove fired shells. Almost every one I've seen has a cracked grip on the left side. Probably from over-tightening the grip screw.

Attached Files:

19. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

I have never seen one of them. Pretty cool!

20. Flipflop

Flipflop New Member

I don't have anything quite as exotic as you guys but I do have a pistol in 308. I wish I had a picture with me, it is a MR Lone Eagle. It is actually nice to shoot, just a little on the loud side.