A few thoughts on teaching kids to shoot.

Discussion in 'Second Amendment and Legal' started by jigs-n-fixture, Jan 27, 2016.

1. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

I was talking with one of the guys at work today about teaching kids to shoot. His are 7 & 9, mine are all older, the youngest is 16 this year.

We were discussing what rifle to use. I recommended he buy them 10-22s, get take-off wood stocks off eBay, and shorten them to fit. He was concerned with giving them semiautos. I told him that it wasn't hard when mine were little, to block the magazine so it would only accept one round. But, Ruger now sells single shot magazines. At that point I think I convinced him to buy them 10-22s.

The single shot magazine is the BX-1-1, Item Number: 90344. They are available from Ruger at shopruger.com, but you can probably get them for less through other sources.

My daughter would get terribly frustrated by the one shot magazine I made for her to learn to shoot with. Her big brother had his own 10-22, with two stock magazines, and she was using mine with a cut down stock installed, and a magazine I had modified to hold only one round.

We shot juice boxes I bought for 10-cents each, at Wallmart. Which if your teaching kids to shoot is an ideal reactive target. At 25-yds, they explode with a nice splat noise, when you hit them. And, spray brightly colored fluid all over. Highly exciting for the kids. I also use them when shooting my 204 at 300yds. It is really hard to pick out 0.204-inch holes in targets, that far out, but the juice boxes present a 1-1/4 by 2-3/4-inch target if you set them up with the top facing the line. When you hit one with the 204 they quite literally explode.

The rifle had a bipod on the front, resting on a bench, so she didn't have to support the barrel weight, but did have full control of the rifle.

She was getting pretty good after half an hour, but she really wanted to shoot full ten round magazines. So, I told her that any time she hit ten in a row single shot, she could shoot off a full magazine. After that she got serious about making every shot count, so she could get a full magazine. The first ten rounder, she fired off her ten rounds as fast as she could, but only hit one juice box. By the third ten rounder, she had figured out with only a little encouragement from me, that it is a lot more fun to slow down and hit the targets, than to rapidly launch bullets down range without hitting anything.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That's great that your teaching them the ways of safe shooting.

Ive trained all 6 of my grandkids, form age 6 and up..

Started all of them on a BB/pellet gun, them moved to a Cricket, then a Ruger 10-22. Then a M1 30 Carbine.:)

All of this, hands on shooting, after lots of safety training on empty guns, non shooting.

Today the oldest can outshoot most men , he is 14 yrs old, and the safest person Ive ever been around with firearms.

btw, he will shoot full hot load 45-70s , 460 magnum, and .50 cal CVA, that grown men shy away from.

They are all really good marksmen, marksgirls...;):)

Jim

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Did she lick her thumb and run it across the front sight? LOL used to see that on old westerns on TV.
    The juice boxes are a good idea for targets. Glad she likes shooting. It's a good thing for family spending time together. She will tell her kids about how grandpa taught her how to shoot.

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,

That was Gary Cooper playing Sgt. Alvin York who used to lick his finger and run it across his front sight. Sure wasn't Hop-a-long, or Roy Rogers, not Gene Autrey. Jeeeeeeeeeeez, get your story straight!!!!! Man, I gotta do everything.

Tommy

5. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

There is a good reason for the wetting.
    Here's a story about Alvin York.

There was a scene in the movie where York took place in a turkey shoot. Now, this didn’t look like any turkey shoot I’ve ever heard of, but that’s Hollywood’s fault. There’s a real turkey that keeps sticking his head up from behind a log while the whole county takes turns shooting at him. Well that’s pretty far fetched, but there’s one scene that seems like superstition but is not. Right before Alvin takes one of his famous shots, he licks his thumb and wets the front sight on his rifle. Why would he do that? Well, it’s pretty simple. Alvin wet his front sight to provide contrast. When someone is shooting open sights (using no optics), they must do something to break the plane of vision for a moment so that they can make sure the sights are lined up on the target. The reason for this is that there are three planes of vision being used when shooting open sight. The first plane is the rear sight. A shooter must have a view of the rear sight that allows him to see both the target and the front sight. The third plane of course, is the target. The shooter must pick a spot on the target and line his sights up to that precise spot. The middle plane though is the front sight. The front sight must be centered in the rear sight but must also be lined up with the desired spot on the target. Sometimes when the human eye, which can only see one plane clearly at once, is focusing all of these things on a phenomenon transpires when the eye focuses “through” the target. This is a blur which overcomes the shooters depth of sight and is a fine line between a kind of shooter’s “zone” and losing focus altogether. It is before that happens that a shooter may wet his front sight to regain perspective by contrasting his front sight and providing himself a more defined perspective. By doing that, a shooter retains or regains the correct and precise perspective. He wets his front sight to either produce a glare from the sunlight on the blued metal or to darken the blue on the front sight against the lighter color of the back sight. To wet ones front sight is to blur the less desirable and sharpen the desired plane of vision

6. gumpy

gumpy New Member

That makes sense!!

7. refugee

refugee New Member

taught all mine between the ages of 6 and 9 depending on their ability to follow safety rules and be responsible, focused. also their desire had a lot to do with it.
    my youngest had his own hi cap 9mm at age 9, and an SKS that accepted AK magazines. he was exceptional. had to bench rest the rifle, he was not big enough to wield it otherwise, but he was safe and pretty damn good. embarrassed some smart alecks with his abilities as a boy.