A Few Quick Questions

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by DevilDog, Nov 4, 2014.

1. DevilDog

DevilDog DevilDog

Hi everyone. I just purchased 2 new Rugers, an LC9S for me and an LCP w/Crimson Trace for my wife. I need a bit of help concerning 2 things and after searching on here for about 45 mins, I figured it would probably be a lot smarter (and quicker) to just ask.

1. Are Ruger-brand magazines the best way to go or does anyone know if any of the less expensive (or even more expensive) mags can be used reliably? Also, just to be sure, if the mag is for the LC9 it will fit the LC9S, right?

2. How do you guys carry your LC9 in a holster? With one in the chamber and the safety engaged or is this considered unsafe with this weapon? I have been using my 1911 for daily carry for the last couple of years and with that weapon I carried it with one in the chamber and the safety engaged. But that weapon also has the back-strap grip safety while the LC9 does not. But if you have to draw the weapon and rack the slide during a gunfight, I'm pretty sure you'll end up dead. Or in the case of drawing the weapon while under cover and trying to be quiet, racking the slide will screw you again. So do most people carry it with one in the chamber and the safety engaged? I'll be carrying it in an IWB holster, by the way.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to answer my questions.

Jim :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. dug23

dug23 New Member

Jim,

Not sure on the reliability of non- ruger branded mags. And the lc9s takes the same mags as the lc9. Only thing that was changed was the firing mech. And some cosmetics on the slide.

As far as carrying. I'd say carry how ever you want with in your comfort level. I carry the lc9s with one I. The chamber safety on. No issues at all.

Other than that congrats on your purchases.... On the lcp may want to hit up talon grips and get ya a set. They really make a difference.
    -Doug

3. DevilDog

DevilDog DevilDog

Thanks Dug

I really appreciate the help. I figured I'd carry it with one in and the safety on but just wanted to make sure there were no known issues with that configuration. And thanks for the heads-up on the grip. I'll definitely check that out. I am glad that I was able to buy Ruger for the needs my wife and I have since it's an American company and they make quality weapons (bought my first handgun in 1982, a .357 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk). Again, thanks! :)

4. dug23

dug23 New Member

No prob! I'm a huge ruger fan. They honor there products to the extreme. I'm sending my SR40c in to have a trigger reset issue looked at. But my gun has been Cerakoted..... I was thinking I was up s$&! Creek but nope they said send it in!!