A cold possum

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VThillman, Jan 18, 2016.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

A friend has an intruder-catching IR camera set up in his back yard. Last night it produced a video of a possum moseying across the yard - and falling snow as well. This was at 10PM on the 17th of January, temp in the low 20s, in Vermont.

Shouldn't that beastie be hibernating?

The occasional possum has been showing up for the past decade or more, but us hillbillies still ain't apt to even know what they're seeing, certainly don't know their lifestyle.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't know for sure , but I do not believe they do hibernate ,
    I see them all winter around here.

They may be mistaken for overgrown rats.

I cant think of one thing they contribute to society.:rolleyes:

I have a nice Marlin 22 mag that is awesome on varmints.:)

Jim

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I got around to Googling on them. Southern Vermont must be on the northern edge of their range nowadays.

I recall reading that there is a difference of opinion about whether or not possums are good eating. They ain't pretty, but once the hide, head and tail are removed...

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have read that possum meat is very greasy and a whole lot of people don't like it for that reason. Big rat is such a great description.

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have had it ,

My aunt (God rest her soul) baked it , smothered in Yams, when I was young.
    It is greasy, that I remember.

But so is bear meat.

I don't like either one, but if a man be starving.....:)

Jim

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

When I lived in Iowa we used to have a lot of possums around and they did not hibernate. I can tell you this, they are a great carrier of all sorts of diseases including rabies. If ever bitten and you can't kill the animal, head to the hospital.

Tommy

7. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

To add to Tommy's post, if you're ever bitten, bring the animal with you - no head shots. They need the brain to determine if the animal was rabid. Otherwise, you may be in for a course of rabies vaccinations over a couple of weeks that can cost as much as $2,000 to $7,000. Oh, if it's someone's pet, don't shoot it if they will provide it for observation to the health department.

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Back in the 1970's we used to hunt coons for their pelts. We were getting about $25 per. Good money for us at the time. My partner's family used the meat.
    One night no coons but LOTS of possums. My hunting buddy said he thought we could get about half as much for possums. :nuts:
    So.......
    Them things are greasy grisly stinking critters. Hard to get the smell of possum off your knife. Yuck! We got 50 cents per pelt. :cheesy:
    Nowadays my Single Six takes care of every possum that goes after our pets food. I don't want those critters anywhere near me.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

A possum as a pet??? :teehee:

10. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

People keep ferrets. What's the difference? Lol

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

"Keeping" ferrets used to be the province of the rat-catcher; one of the early exterminator trades. A member of the weasel family, but that family's smell varies from pleasant (the ermine smells like anise) to distinctly unpleasant - the wolverine 'saves' its kills with an excretion that smells something like a skunk's.

12. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

They don't hibernate. Keep your garbage can lids secured.....the can is their favorite dinning spot. They will eat just about anything, even cock roaches and rats. They usually won't bother anyone but they got a nice set of teeth on them. As for pets, even the little ones aren't pretty and the older they get the nastier they look. Eating...you can but the meat is greasy and depending on age and diet (DO NOT try and eat an old male) can be gamey. Locating and removal of the musk glands is imperative prior to cooking.
    That said, I know of a few, very few, cooks who can make a decent meal out of one, they know the secrets to proper cleaning and cooking of them. My Dad had a freind who would ask him to bring back a possum when Dad went rabbit hunting, his wife knew how to cook them and he preferred baked possum and sweet tater's to rabbit. I will admit , she knew how to prepare it, it was good. Not gamey , greasy or musky but she knew how !