9mm vs 40 S&W?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jenny0217, Apr 20, 2014.

1. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

I just turned 20 and I have a year to decide on my first carry gun? I love the SRc series. But I don't know which C model is best! My buddy has a 40c he loves it! But I've been trained to shoot a 9. Is there a whole lot of a difference in the 9c and 40c? Based on personal experiences, what do you think?

2. MrCip

MrCip Active Member

I don't shoot Ruger autoloaders, I'm a Ruger revolver shooter. But I do shoot 9mm and .40 S&W in a Glock and Sig. I find the .40 to be a bit more snappier. As a carry gun with the right ammunition the 9mm would be, IMHO, a better choice.

3. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

My choice would be a 9mm less snappier

Davìd

4. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

I carry both a 9mm or a .40 S&W. The .40 holds 7rds. the 9mm holds 10rds.

With defense loads I see no difference between the 9 & 40.

Use which ever you feel comfortable with, and can shoot the best.

:machinegun:

5. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

I shot both the SR9 and the SR40C. I personally preferred shooting the .40 and shot it better the first time i eve shot a handgun. If you are already used to handling a 9mm I would say try the .40 out (range rental) and then pick out what is best for you. I find both Rugers exceptional firearms.

6. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

I've shot my SR40 a ton the last few years, Ive put a few rounds through various friends guns including; SR40C, an M&P 9mm, an FNH FNS9, and my fairly newly acquired M&P 9mm Shield in the last year....of all of them my SR40 is still my favorite to shoot, it'll hold 15 in the mag and it's recoil is no better or worse to any of those others I mentioned. Whichever you decide just get out and get some training and practice, practice, practice....become as good as you can with whatever you have.
    Gene

7. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I have both a 9mm and the 40....the 40 is about the same size as the 9mm. IMHO I like to carry the 40 since it has more knock down power at the same size as carrying the 9mm. There both awesome guns.....

8. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

Thank you guys for your help!! I've always thought that both cartridges would be similar when it comes to ballistics and knock down power. But the 40 would be a tad bit better for knock down power!

9. firefox

firefox New Member

I have and shoot both 9mm and .40S&W. .40 is the better round if you can shoot it well.

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have shot the SR9c and I own an SR40c. I don't think the 40 is very much more recoil than the 9 and friend that owns the 9 was surprised the 40 wasn't near as bad as he thought it was going to be from all the negative reports on the 40 round. The 9mm round is much cheaper to shoot than the 40 round. This can mean more shooting time with the 9 than the 40. During the shortage I did see more 40 available than the 9 though.
    Ballistics with so many new ammo options the two rounds are fairly compatible.
    I also had a G27 Glock and XDM 3.8 40c. The Ruger had less felt recoil than those and was at least $150 less. I sold the other two and kept the Ruger. I definitely agree that you should rent one to shoot at a range to see which actually suites you best. Knock down power doesn't mean squat if you can't comfortably handle it to be most effective at hitting the target and training with.
    Guy bought the G27 for his wife and she can't shoot it much before her hand is hurting. IMO you might like the 9 better but only you can find that out. Pricing the 9 or 40 are same price. I see them priced around $395-$420 now.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  11. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

I have both 9mm and 40 cal Glocks. The 9mm is a G19 while the 40 is a slightly larger framed G22. They behave so much alike that I would have a hard time choosing one over the other based on how they shoot.

12. EnemyOfThePlate

EnemyOfThePlate New Member

I have both 9mm and .40 Glocks and have a SR9c. Bigger is better, but I carry a 9mm for a couple reasons.Also If I'm not mistaken I watched a Hickok45 vid and he said the SR40c was moderately bigger than the SR9c. The SR9c is a great gun. I think for the money it can't be beat and some striker fired polymers that cost more can't beat it.

13. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I have 9s in XDs and 40s in M&Ps and find them all great, the smaller 40s have more kit for some, but they make a bigger hole. The nines are always a pleasant experience. But if you are used a Super Black Hawk or Red Hawk recoil of a 40 is minimal. 9 ammo is usually cheaper I've found.

14. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

I have a M&P 40 Shield,and hope to have a 9mm by the first couple of months ot the 2015 year.

15. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

How about Guns & Ammo gun of the year. H&K VP9, recently acquired shoots like a dream.

Attached Files:

16. AmericanBob

AmericanBob New Member

Happy Birthday and what a great question!!!!

Jenny, that is a wonderful question! Id like to say that you would enjoy shooting both! and I am sure, in time, you will probably end up with both! the SR9C is a GREAT GUN, as is the SR40C, C being compact, the triggers on both of them are out of this world smooth! Now, in general, the 40 is considered a more high pressure cartridge and the 9mm is a lower pressure cartridge. This means that the 40 will kick more, and might be a little harder on the hand, but that is something that you can adapt too easily. if you like the kick of the 9mm, then stay with the 9mm. (get yourself the 40 on your next birthday!) the smaller the gun, the more punch you will feel, keep that in mind if you have never shot a 3 inch barrel gun! Ammo today is soooo good that you just cant go wrong with a 9mm, heck, I would not want to be shot by a good quality 9mm! not on your life! for your self defense ammo, make sure you get hollow points. but the most important thing is to get some professional training! please get that, hold the gun the wrong way, it takes hide off your thumb or worse, and you will hate it. if you were in Oklahoma I would gladly teach you as that is what I do at the Freedom Ranch Pistol Academy. good luck to you, and let us know what you get, first. I am confident you are going to buy both! eventually!

17. AmericanBob

AmericanBob New Member

knock down power is the greatest myth there is, if you hit the bad guy in the right place, he is going down, no matter what caliber, a 22 that hits a guy in the nose, got news, he is dead right there, bullet placement is critical! if you shoot them in the stomach, then you are counting on blood loss to take out the bad guy. if you can handle the 40, more power to you, but, if you are already good with a 9, Id stick with it. ammo that I like, boy there is a ton of it out there that I love, Hornady critical defense for many reasons! I also like the Cor Bon Powerball ammo that has the nylon tip just cant be beat! I also carry Winchester Ranger ammo, but good luck in finding that now! Take care, and happy birthday! Bob

18. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

There are the wisest words in this thread.
    For self defense, use what you are the most comfortable and most accurate with!

19. tears4fears

tears4fears New Member

I don't like the high pressure rounds. The .40 cal was made from the 10mm round, because the FBI said the recoil was too much for the smaller framed agents. So the fact that the 40 cal was made in order to accommodate recoil shy people is off putting.

20. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

I had a Ruger SR40.................wife didn't like it. .40 cal is my favorite caliber to shoot.......the wife, not so much........she has a Wiley Clapp SP101 in .357, and says that the .357 is less snappy than my .40 cal's.