9mm or .40 in Hi Point carbine

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SavageGuy, Apr 15, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Good evening everyone,
    I'm considering a Hi-Point carbine, but am torn between 9mm and .40 S&W. According to ballistics by the inch, (BBTI) the .40 will get about 850 ft-lbs from a 17.5" barrel (the carbine comes with a 17.5" barrel) the 9mm on the other hand, gets a fewer ft-lbs count. But, 9mm is A LOT cheaper! I originally considered .45 but the ammo costs scared me away. I would probably reload for it, but would that significantly bring down the cost of the .40? You can buy 9 up here for around the $10 mark while 40 is about $16+.
    I want this gun for plinking and as a backup HD gun. The 9mm makes sense but I do like that extra power that the .40 will give me.

What are your thoughts?

Also, does anyone reload for the .40 S&W that could give me a cost per round? Or, for that matter, for the .45 ACP and 9mm as well?
    Thanks guys,
    SG

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I can give you an idea of what it costs me to reload .45ACP and 9mm however, here in Az we have a powder shortage so my costs may run higher than some of the other folks.

45ACP- 230grn RN Berry plated, 6.9 grns Power Pistol, Winchester Large primers comes out to about .23 cents per round.

9mm- 115grn. RN Berry plated, 4.5grns W-231 and small primers comes out to about .11 cents per round.

I don't know if this helps but this is a close as I can figure costs not including brass. I scrounge all the brass I can find and try to load in the mid range so I can salvage as much brass as possible. Good luck!

Tommy

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have the Hi-Point carbine in .40 S&W and am happy with it, and a couple thousand once-fired brass (well, nickel plated) for reloading with Berry's plated. I have no idea how much it costs me a round. Near as I can tell from the Hi-Point site, the 9mm carbine is somewhat different from the .40 and .45 configurations - for instance you can't mount the red dot and leave the peep in place, which means you can't use the peep to correct for the parallax error at short range in the red dot.

Anyway, if I hadn't had all those cartridge components on hand for the .40, I would have bought the .45 version. Sort of a modern semiauto Tommygun. ;)

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Both posts have been very helpful. VT, what are a few pros and cons about it?
    Thanks guys!

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Inexpensive to own and operate, relialble, 'handy', fun to shoot. It even looks better in the hands than it does in the pictures,

The recoil spring is stiff (because it's a simple blowback action), may be difficult for some people to latch the action open. The stock configuration makes it a little awkward for me to get my eye down to the peep sight (I have a 4x scope ordered, so that problem will go away. The magazine is single stack, 10 rounds in .40S&W.

I think the operator's manual can be read online, so you can see the field strip procedure. In-depth cleaning doesn't need to be done often (the recommended interval is well over a thousand rounds), but the procedure takes awhile.

That's about it.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have the .45 Hi-Point,

Its accurate at 40 yrds,
    It throws a 230 grn bullet much faster than a handgun, and does wonders on a target at less than 50 yrds,

Of course, I reload .45acp, and don't really shoot it much.

Been told to clean the bore and leave it alone.
    Been told if it breaks , send it in , they give ya a new rifle.

Lifetime warranty.

hipoint 45.jpg
    [​IMG]

Jim

7. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

My rule of thumb with this question is to NEVER buy anything in 40 S&W.

The 9mm is the only semi-auto cartridge I fool with. At my range, they sweep up my empty brass for me, and dump it into my range bag. I always end up with two, three times what I shoot, so my stock of 9mm brass is constantly expanding.

8. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Why is 9mm the only one? Honestly curious! If I HAD to pick just one it would be.45acp.

9. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

Because I've got three or four 9mm handguns, and I don't want to start reloading for another cartridge.

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Did you guys know they also make em in .380 auto.
    Talk about a solution in search of a need.......

Although it might be interesting to see how a .380 shoots from a 16.5" barrel. :confused:

11. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Tell me about it........

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I saw that mentioned just the other day, and wondered why it made sense to them. 9 x 19 has the Uzi cachet going for it; the 9 x 17, um, not so much.

13. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I guess the .380 is for the guys who think 9mm kicks too much?

14. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

**Update**

Just ordered the 9mm version. Should have it next week. I will start reloading for it in the near future. I'll post pictures and a range report once I get the gun.

15. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

.40!!!

Oh wait. Never mind.

16. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hey SG, I just joined the Hi-Point forum, looks like a generally younger bunch there. And a lot of 995 owners.

[and Austin, but that's another story :)]

17. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^^I joined as well. Some good info over there as well.

Yep, Austin is over there too. Read a few comments about people's stickers never showing up...........We'll have to see if my stickers ever make it to my mailbox :hint:hint:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  18. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Since I swap alot at gunshows, I have owned several of the older 995s. They all worked perfectly well. Never had one hang up, but I did not shoot them much either. The last one I got was a 995TS. Previous owner had pput a verrtical forend/light/green laser combo on it. It was a good shooter too. I added a red dot to it. I kept it for about a year and traded it off. Never had any problems with it. Been thinking about getting a .45. Never have seen a used one come into the gunshows. Mostly the 9 mils. Might just have to get a new one in .45 cal.

19. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Near as I've been able to tell, most of the early problems with Hi-Points were magazine related. When they got that straightened out, complaints went way down.

Traffic on the H-P forum about carbines seems to be 9 number one, then 45. the 40s get little play. If the 45 owners are hanging on to them, that may be significant.

20. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Well, went and picked it up from the FFL today. Here it is:
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1461740238.696811.jpg
    Pretty ugly, although not nearly as bad as the H-P pistols. Hopefully be able to shoot it tomorrow. I also just mounted a laser and a red dot. And I figured out how to attach the sling. Now I just gotta see if it'll shoot!