9mm,.40,.45 comparison

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by buster40c, Sep 1, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting comparison shooting cinder blocks with 9mm, .40 and .45. I was surprised by the 45 but it did hit higher on the block which I think could have caused a difference in penetration. But still I was surprised .45 lack of penetration. People often say the .40 isn't all that good but I beg to differ on that thought.
    I actually was surprised all three calibers didn't blow totally through the blocks busting them apart.

If anyone wondered about their ammo penetrating into the neighbors brick or block house or even going out of your house this might shed some light on that also.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peSxf07p0gY[/ame]

Here is 357 magnum versus .45.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQjbDCUAIC4[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  2. noylj

noylj New Member

bullet construction and location of hit?

3. buster40c

I have to laugh as this reminds me of a long time ago my boss had me buy some wood boards for his kid to use in karate class. The next day the boss brought the unbroken boards back to me. LOL I had bought oak boards instead of soft pine.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Showing the cinder block tests is a service to the members, Buster. The extent of potential collateral damage needs to be known by all of us who intend to defend ourselves with guns. There really are ethical/moral decisions to be made. Just not the ones the anti-gun crowd harp on.

Maybe Austin and Havasu should add an official Ruger Talk 'position': Light Shiner. That meaning in the Classical Greek, for class?

I nominate Buster40c.

[There is not an iota of sarcasm in the above text; I am serious.]

5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I was working at an indoor range when a customer rented a Nine millimeter and went out on the range. He loaded one 115 grain full metal jacket and shot himself in the chest. The bullet went through him and the door two feet behind him. Travelled three feet and penetrated that wall into where I get the targets. Nine millimeter has always been known as an over penetrator. We would have people do this about once a year.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I would like to make one more observation. The 45acp was the slowest bullet to start with and then he puts it in the shortest barrel reducing the velocity even more. Hard to believe he could not find a 45 with a 5 inch barrel to do a fair test. Notice that in the 45 vs 357 the five inch 45 broke the cinder tile.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  7. buster40c

Yes it could have been a fairer test all things considered. But still I was surprised the blocks weren't blown totally apart.