84 blackhawk

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by bigfuzzy, Sep 18, 2015.

1. bigfuzzy

bigfuzzy New Member

just picked up a 84 Blackhawk, .357, stainless, 4 5/8" is there anything I need to know about it. Only thing planned is clean it, a little bit of paint on the sights & shoot it. :D
    Thanks

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

That sounds like a plan. There are semi-standard checkout routines you could do, but they are mostly intended for use before buying. Clean it, make sure the bore is clear, and shoot it.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

bigfuzzy it is customary for newcomers to visit the Introduction section and introduce yourself to the other members. Members like to know a little about you and your interests in guns. We are like a big fun family here at RT and hope you find RT a fun sharing experience.
    Thanks for joining RT.
    Buster

4. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

I would add that you should check the cylinder lock up and alignment- but, other than that- shoot the shine off of it!

5. thumbuster

thumbuster New Member

Check the base pin latch and the cylinder lock up, timing etc.. Sights and ejector rod housing attached solid. Round holes in paper target.

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

What thumbuster said covers it.

The ejector rod housing screw keeps getting loose on the ones I've had.
    I finally cleaned it well and put medium strength (blue) Locktight on the screw, so far so good.

Also like thumbuster mentioned, check the base pin latch nut.
    I find those loose from time to time.

Other than that check the grip frame mounting screws occasionally.
    Also be careful not to over tighten the screw that holds the grip panels in place.

Oh, there is one thing you should know about it......... You just can not wear that thing out. :D