77 Hawkeye Build

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by yankee, Nov 12, 2015.

1. yankee

yankee New Member

Last year I bought a 77 Hawkeye Ultralight All-Weather in .243 Win. Sweet shooter. I love the rifle. Well, I think I might want to make it a 308 WIN or 338 FED. I've searched for a 308 Ultralight (20 inches) barrel but I can't find it. Ruger told me they wouldn't re-barrel it for me. I want to keep the Ultralight barrel profile.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to Rugertalk yankee,

I moved your first post to Introductions, as it is customary to start there, so you can get a proper welcome from the good folks here, and...tell us a little about yourself.

Thanks for joining us,

Sorry I cant help ya on your search for info on a barrel.

Jim

3. yankee

yankee New Member

Alright,

Originally from Upstate NY, living in Georgia, in the process of moving back to CNY. Been shooting since I was 14 (29 now). I dabbled in hunting in my junior and senior year of HS, now getting back into chasing whitetails.

I have a couple guns.
    Glock 17 & 23
    S&W M&P40 & M&P45
    Browning Buckmark .22LR
    Savage 111 .30-06
    Armalite M15A2 5.56mm
    Ruger 10/22 .22LR
    Ruger 77 Hawkeye Ultralight All-Weather .243 WIN
    Marlin (Pre-Remington) 336 .30-30 WCF

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thank you for the introduction.

Nice collection you got there.

Jim

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I hope you realize that an Ultralight in .308 would probably kick worse than your Savage .30-06.

6. yankee

yankee New Member

One of the many factors I'm weighing. I like 243 Winchester. Low recoil, enough power out to ranges no one should ever shoot for medium big game.

7. CatamountRob

CatamountRob New Member

Ruger has made RL's in the past that were chambered in .308 Winchester, so they are certainly around. If you wish to re-barrel the rifle you have and Ruger won't do it, start checking with barrel makers and talk to some gunsmiths. What you want can certainly be done.