Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I bought a 77 Hawkeye Ultralight All-Weather in .243 Win. Sweet shooter. I love the rifle. Well, I think I might want to make it a 308 WIN or 338 FED. I've searched for a 308 Ultralight (20 inches) barrel but I can't find it. Ruger told me they wouldn't re-barrel it for me. I want to keep the Ultralight barrel profile.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Welcome to Rugertalk yankee,

I moved your first post to Introductions, as it is customary to start there, so you can get a proper welcome from the good folks here, and...tell us a little about yourself.

Thanks for joining us,

Sorry I cant help ya on your search for info on a barrel.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright,

Originally from Upstate NY, living in Georgia, in the process of moving back to CNY. Been shooting since I was 14 (29 now). I dabbled in hunting in my junior and senior year of HS, now getting back into chasing whitetails.

I have a couple guns.
Glock 17 & 23
S&W M&P40 & M&P45
Browning Buckmark .22LR
Savage 111 .30-06
Armalite M15A2 5.56mm
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Ruger 77 Hawkeye Ultralight All-Weather .243 WIN
Marlin (Pre-Remington) 336 .30-30 WCF

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Thank you for the introduction.

Nice collection you got there.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I hope you realize that an Ultralight in .308 would probably kick worse than your Savage .30-06.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope you realize that an Ultralight in .308 would probably kick worse than your Savage .30-06.
One of the many factors I'm weighing. I like 243 Winchester. Low recoil, enough power out to ranges no one should ever shoot for medium big game.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ruger has made RL's in the past that were chambered in .308 Winchester, so they are certainly around. If you wish to re-barrel the rifle you have and Ruger won't do it, start checking with barrel makers and talk to some gunsmiths. What you want can certainly be done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts