77/357

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Blaze, May 19, 2013.

1. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I loved my 77/357 so much that I bought 2 and loaned one to a friend to go South Dakota and it was stolen from truck.. And my other was taken when I moved to new home.. I can't explain why i loved this gun so much I guess cause I can take my SP101 with me and have same ammo. I have 2 more ordered but Ruger keeps saying there production is behind and it be closer to late summer..

What do you guys think of this this rifle?

2. Don

Don Member

I notice that nobody has responded. I honestly don't know anyone who owns one of these unusual guns............ until now.......... Yippeeee!!!!!!!
    I just won one on a gunbroker auction and cannot wait to get it. Please tell me what you like about it. What bullets weights have you used and did it seem to prefer one over another. I'm intrigued at the thought of pushing a 158 gr FP/XTP about 2000fps. I'm thinking the 110 gr HP at 2300fps should ruin the day of any coyote where I hunt. It should have all the range I need hunting on foot in the Fla pines and palmettos. I'm also thinking that the light weight and mild recoil will be a good 1st deer rifle for my grandson when he starts hunting with me some day.
    Tell me everything you can about this rifle. I'm like a sponge, Blaze.
    80+ views of this thread. Certainly someone has some knowledge of this rifle. Speak up folks

3. Blaze

I just love it cause its s light weight rifle that u can use from whitetail on down to chipmunks.. I have run all 357/38 ammo in mine but I like hunting with the 158 grain semi jacket soft points ..

I love these rifles and plan on owning two more soon as I can ... The gun is less than 6lbs and very durable. I never had any trouble out of mine..

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I would like to see a pic.

Dont know that Ive seen one.

Jim

5. Blaze

Check out this video on YouTube:

[ame]http://youtu.be/Ed5eGUXLpOg[/ame]

6. Travis

Travis New Member

I have a 77/44 and like it. No problems so far. A little pricey though.

7. Blaze

Yes there over $600 but worth every cent

8. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

This is one of my few Bucket List guns. I think I have read everything in print and on the web about it, all good. When I find one, it's mine.

9. Blaze

I been waiting long time to get another one. I will eventually

10. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Me too!!

I also would like feedback on the 77/357. I am looking at one to purchase and would like some "real" life experiences. Not the usual "sweetness and light" gun reviews.

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

A bolt action rifle in a pistol caliber wouldn't be of any use to me...but hey, it's why they make different flavors.

12. Blaze

It's a small bolt action rifle chambered in 357mag/ 38 and is great gun for killing chipmunks to whitetail ...very reliable and is nice to share same ammo as ur favorite 357mag revolver.

Caliber:357 Mag
    Capacity:5
    Stock:Black Synthetic
    Material:Stainless Steel
    Finish:Brushed Stainless
    Front Sight:Gold Bead
    Rear Sight:Adjustable
    Barrel Length:18.50"
    Overall Length:38.50"
    Length of Pull:13.50"
    Weight:5.50 lbs.
    Twist:1:16" RH
    Grooves:8

13. SHOOTER13

14. Blaze

Chipmunks was all for u shooter lol

15. SHOOTER13

Oh...I know.

Imagine a .357 hitting a chipmunk...nothing but a puff of pink and fur.

16. Blaze

Haha I was shooting apples and bad cantaloupe just to watch them explode. I can imagine the chipmunk's tail would be all that left

17. SHOOTER13

18. Don

Don Member

Well I finally bought one. None to be had where i live, even with big gun stores and big gun shows. Gunbroker came through for me and I love the look and feel of the little gun. My NE FLa whitetail swamp hunts rarely present shots over 60 or 80 yards so this little rifle with my 158gr FP/XTP handloads should be good medicine. I wouldn't hesitate on a hog either though I might let "Hogzilla II" walk if I was to run across him.......LOL
    I'm thinking it will be a good "first deer rifle" for my Grandson when he gets about 10 or 12. I hope to have an extended range session with it this weekend. I will submit a report and maybe add a pic or 2.

19. Blaze

Thanks Don. Have you got a scope picked out for it ?

20. Don

Don Member

Yes I do Blaze. I had a Nikon Omega that I took off a rifle I sold last year. Its 1.65-5X without the BDC. Those extra marks annoy me.
    I put it on and boresighted it as soon as I got the rifle home. If the rains don't washout the gun club this weekend I'm going to shoot it at the 50 and 100 yd targets. If the difference in zero is less than 2 inches at those ranges I'll leave it zero'd at 100 yds. If its much more I'll adjust for a 75yd zero knowing that I won't be shooting at a deer over 100yds in the places I hunt.
    If I'm hunting tree lines or clear cuts from a stand I'll take a .308 or an '06 but when I'm walking the swamps, just like my .44 Marlin, this ought to be plenty effective.