77/357 range report - the clean bill

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by VThillman, May 14, 2015.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Checked out the replacement magazine last time out, while sighting in at 25 and then 50 yards. The magazine functioned flawlessly with cartridges containing 158 gr. XTPs.

Today, got serious with 180 gr WFNGC bullets ahead of 13 grains of H110. The new magazine functioned flawlessly with these rounds too. Fired two magazine loads into a 3½" bull at 50 yards, with no change to the sight setting from last week.

The rifle is equipped with a Tasco "World Class" 3x-9x, mil-dot reticule scope, and a Caldwell bipod. I am thoroughly satisfied with the setup, the rifle, the cartridge loading, and the weather was pretty good too.

I was interested/concerned about bore leading with the bullet & loading. No sign of it. The Hornady manual 'suggests' (that specific combination of components isn't covered) that I was using a maximum load. The Lee manual considers it a starting load. The Lyman manual apparently considers it too puny to mention. Hah! Hey, as long as I'm happy, eh?

:p

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yup only one needs to be happy is you.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Thanks buster. I think maybe you haven't gotten the word though: VThillman is too far left for this forum.

4. buster40c

It didn't take me to long to see you were a left fielder. I figured the left having guns just showed they weren't totally oblivious to real life.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It's the usual situation - depends on where the viewer is standing. My voting record in Presidential elections is:

Kennedy, Goldwater, Nixon (twice). Carter, Reagan (twice), GHW Bush (twice), Dubya (twice), Obama (twice). Never voted for the draft dodger.

I'm not praising myself that they all worked out well (Hah!), but it's a pretty good example of what a dedicated centrist has to do - which is to vote for the (perceived as) lesser evil.

Back (way back) when softball was still in my repertoire, I did usually play left field.

:cool:

6. buster40c

I myself have come to the conclusion voting for the lesser of two evils is just a waste of time. The outcome is the same either way. Sorry to say but I don't think this country has much future left. That is the real evil shame.
    Just for giggles you might check out the Pergamon Alter/ Hitler/ Obama. I like most people never knew about it and how it was put before all to see without their having a clue what it was.
    I guess this should be in the political section.
    You voted for Kennedy you must be older than this old goat is.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I would be very appreciative for any information you have on the 180gr WFNGC that you could share.
    I'll start a new thread in Ammo & Reloading so we don't mess up this thread.
    If you have time, please post anything you have (Lee max load and such) on the 357 Mag 180gr WFNGC thread. Thanks
    Glad that new rifle is working out for you. Ruger has the best CS of any I've dealt with.